9-11% Without UD2.0

Tom Treutlein

I did a two week stint of UD2.0, my bodyfat is lower, I'm happy. However, I'm going to wind up dieting down again in the future, I just know it. Thing is, I can't stand the types of foods I ate on UD2.0, and I have no real alternatives.

I was wondering - if you're not pushing your genetic limit in terms of muscularity (for me, that's listed by the HST calculator as being 205 at 8% or so), couldn't you simply use a caloric defecit, no cyclical dieting approach, and lose fat while maintaining your lean mass?

This is all for a natural, of course. I don't like having to eat stuff I don't enjoy. I want to at least be happy with my meals.

a caloric deficit will create weight loss. however, you want to have a diet that maximizes fat loss and minimizes lbm loss.

i havent read much about UD2.0, but for me i have found the following successful...

meal 1: morning 1/2 cup of oats w/ 2 scoops muscle milk
meal 2: meat, chicken, or fish w/ veggies (sometimes a wheat torilla or some other complex carb under 45g)
meal 3: same as 2, possibly cutting out carbs
pre-workout: 40g whey
post workout 40g whey & 30g dextrose
meal 4: animals & veggies

all in all it is high protein, low carbs w/ most carb intake in the first half of the day. read some articles on thinkmuscle.com you will quickly realize that the body will burn fat after carbs are depleted. therefore, cutting the carbs down is the best way to reach our goals (imo), as we have to cut out some calories to create a deficit, so why not cut carbs so our body burns fat for energy instead.

Yeah, I know most of that, but thanks for the reply. It's not often people even respond around here anymore.
wink.gif

But yeah, I just like to back out of hard stuff some times, I'll admit. I'm no good with the food choices, really. Next time I try to diet I need to be sure I don't gag down my food. Example - egg whites with hot sauce. I can't do it. Ketchup makes it easy, but hot sauce makes me choke, but it's my only alternative when I'm trying to low-carb it.

Canned chicken. Easy 360 calories, 78 grams of protein. That's gold...but it tastes HORRIBLE. I was having 2 cans a day, and I nearly puked today when I tried, so I said "screw it" and figured I'd just eat less but eat stuff I enjoy more. Mainly, my diet consists of sirloin burgers and tuna sandwiches - I love both, and can eat them with a variety of condiments.

HST seems to be one of the better cutting protocols though, I have to say. Maybe 'cause the higher reps initially act as depletion work, and the frequent loading helps you maintain mass and ensuring the weight lost is fat. Maybe?

im not sure what foods you must eat for the ud 2.0 diet. i see a lot of folks have tried it and liked the results so ill be looking into it. my uninformed guess was that it relied on low carb cycles? ? ? .

ive spent a little time dieting but must say i did not see noticable diff. until i combined lower cals with restricted carbs.

cleaning your diet down to limited carbs can sometimes feel like a w/o in itself. ive done the canned chick/tuna approach and your right "choked down" is the right term. some stuff ive had luck with.....

grilled or boiled chicken. i cook 6-8 breasts at once, cut them up and tupperware them in 5oz servings. add bbq sauce (or salsa which has almost no carbs)and heat when i need a small meal.
shakes w/water, no milk. i like milk so its a big step for me.
3-5 egg whites w/1-2 yolks and little milk. scrambled or omlete w/vegi and season.
lean grnd turkey w/vegis. seasoned right the taste isnt that bad.
added a little more fat to the diet when going low carb. a little bacon or cheese  etc. at these times tastes like manna from heaven.

im a pretty regimented person so following a strict diet is not too hard, most of the time. i shoot for 80-90% compliance when im "on" a diet and try not to go crazy with the other 10-20%. it keeps me sane and i have not noticed any lasting ill effects.

i will have to look more into ud 2.0 as im sure its not as simple as just low carb.

It's 3.5 days low-carb, 1.25 days carb-up, and another 2.75 days of eating pretty regular. Something to that effect, anyway. I'm just bitching out, I guess - sorry for the term, but it's true.

Honestly though, I may have jumped the gun - I just hated the food choices, but I think I found an alternative. Fats are proteins are okay during the low-carb phase, and you CAN have some carbs (between 50-70 grams). I was using spinach for fiber and nutrients, and a glass of milk with my bland meals to satisfy my pallete a little.

Now I realized something though - I'll ditch the milk, have high-fiber bread, and have burgers. I was getting 1.5 to 2.0 grams of protein per pound - and you only need 1 gram per pound, or maybe a little over. Needless to say, I was getting way too much. I was afraid of eating fats, lord knows why.

Instead, I'll put the burger (23 grams fat, 30 protein, 330 cals total) on 2 slices of high fiber bread (which will give me 80 cals, 5 fiber, 17 total carbs but 12 that I'd count due to the fiber) and I'll just have water instead of milk. I love my milk, but this way I can eat food I enjoy. The milk was 12-13 grams of carbs, so is the bread, so it will work out all the better! Hooray!

laugh.gif
I love when I solve problems.

you just need to find meals that are low carb and taste good. try....

meatloaf:
2lbs of 10% meat
1/4 cup of italion bread crumbs
1/2 cup of 2% mozzerella
1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce

mix in a bowl and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, delicious!

chicken w/ sauted veggies:
-get some chicken BREAST (canned stuff tastes awful) and season to your liking (some of the McCormick pre-mixed chicken spices are good) heat in the oven at 350 for 30 mins

-get your favorite veggies...zuccini, squash, asparrgrass, onions, etc. cut them up. heavilry spray a cooking sheet w/ pam spray. put the veggis on the the tray, coat them w/ pam as well. heat in the oven for 15mins at 425, flip, and another 15 mins at 425.

dont give up because you cant cook, try new recipes and enjoy the great results that go along with it!

I just hate having to cook - I like quick, simple meals.

But thanks to high-fiber breads and carb-countdown chocolate milk, I can have my cake and eat it too!

<div>
(Tom Treutlein @ Jun. 13 2006,16:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just hate having to cook - I like quick, simple meals.

But thanks to high-fiber breads and carb-countdown chocolate milk, I can have my cake and eat it too!</div>
Can we say SUBWAY
cool.gif

Cake........... YUMM

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Jun. 13 2006,17:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can we say SUBWAY
cool.gif

Cake........... YUMM</div>
Great choice Dan.
Yes, I was saying SUBWAY alot.
laugh.gif
The only thing my wife makes for dinner is &quot;reservations&quot; &amp; I hate to cook..period!!
SUBWAY has &quot;great variety&quot; &amp; healthy food choices. During the 5's I was getting 2 different ft long subs a day. I still had a good breakfast to boot as well.
Actually after 5pm, you can get 2 ft longs for about $8.50 (at least in S. Florida).

O

PS, I had some Cake too
biggrin.gif

My girl and I made some raspberry crumb squares - can't wait to dig into those.

Subway would be a good choice - I can get some random low-carb sandwich. Thanks Dan!
smile.gif
I used to eat there all the time.

I set up a pretty nice meal plan now though. I can definitely follow it.

Anyone ever try Carb Countdown Milk? The chocolate is AMAZING, and it's only 5g of carbs.

Honestly, the depletion isn't even that bad. I work well on low carbs, though.

It's not fun, but something about it makes me smile.
smile.gif
Probably the head trauma.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Jun. 14 2006,05:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">anything over 5 reps is cardio</div>
I actually agree with that. After five reps on things like squats, I always feel out of it. Five and under, I feel like gold.

Still, I don't HATE cardio, so it works for me.
smile.gif

Back