A different protein question: Heat

I

imported_edziu

I'm in the habit of enjoying my first protein shake of the day, vanilla, as creamer in my coffee on the way to work (where I get cheap breakfast at a subsidized cafeteria.) Makes it as thick as a cappuccino.

Anybody have any input on the effects of the heat on the proteins in shake? Recommendation for type of protein?

Heat can potentially denature the protein, but as we are not interested (in the most part) in the shape of the protein, it doesnt really matter.

First off, some protein powders dissolve better than others. You'll have to experiment. The easiest I've tried is called Carb Beaters, or something. . . I'll check it at home.

Second, the blender does wonders and turns it into a cappucino. But it wakes the wife.

E

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Jan. 15 2003,12:25)]Anybody have any input on the effects of the heat on the proteins in shake? Recommendation for type of protein?
As far as heating protein and it's effects, if you look on the side of some protein containers (take a look and you will find the ones I mean), you will see listed recipes to use their protein in things such as muffins and pancakes. Since they require relatively high heat (in order to cook the raw egg added in, and kill any bacteria), I wouldn't worry about any effects of heat on protein, especially in something such as coffee, which is well below boiling temperatures.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since they require relatively high heat (in order to cook the raw egg added in, and kill any bacteria),
High external heat, internal heat is actually not that high.

Back