A good shake for weight gain

soflsun

I've been making this a minimum of 2 hours pre-workout.

This shake is making me put on weight...it may help you:

They call it bananarama at LA Fitnes and I make it at home in a blender as well.

16 ounces of milk
1 banana
Huge heaping tablespoon of natural peanut butter
2 Scoops whey protein (50 grams protein)
add ice while blending

I haven't added it up, but it's well over 1000 calories.

That sounds good! This is one of my favorites while bulking:

2C 2%milk
1C Frozen blueberries
2TBS Natural peanut butter
3/4C Dry oatmeal
2 Scoops Chocolate Whey protein

Blend well.

soflsun: that's whole milk right? How does that get to 1000 calories? Is it the peanut butter?

I measured and added it up this morning:

2 cups 2% milk - 244 cal
2 servings peanut butter - 376 cal
2 scoops Optimum whey - 210 cal
1 large banana - 121 cal

951 cal total...

<div>
(electric @ Apr. 16 2008,11:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">soflsun: that's whole milk right? How does that get to 1000 calories? Is it the peanut butter?</div>
Yeah, I had it figured for just under 700 calories...

It's the &quot;heaping&quot; part that takes the peanut butter from 190 to 380...

And 2% milk would give 80+ more calories than skim, bringing the total up to nearly 1,000.

Two of those shakes would meet my entire day's allotment of calories...!  
tounge.gif

Oh man...they're making me fat. But oh so tasty...

I'm liking it for breakfast! Almost ensures me proper energy for my workout regardless of when I get to it.
smile.gif

Sounds tasty. I work out at night. If I have this in the morning, what should I have for a post workout shake?

I used to do muscle milk for the casein, but from what I gather from these forums, it may have too much fat in it to be effective. My problem is I have trouble gaining weight, so the fat may not be an issue for me. I've also read something about mixing egg whites and whey for a post-workout shake.

If I was really having trouble putting on weight, I would drink 1 in the morning and 1 after my workout. Personally, my post workout shake is:

25g maltodextrin
25g dextrose
1 heaping scoop of Optimum whey (35g or so)
12 ounces of 2% milk

Some say it is better to mix the shake with water for quicker absorption (since there is no fat in water), but I have heard that protein cannot be digested without fat, so I stick to the milk.

My shake is similar:

62g Maltodextrin
62g Nature's Best Isopure Whey (~50g isolated whey)
5g Glutamine
5g Creatine
600ml whole milk

Since I workout in the morning I take half of this shake 30 minutes before the workout and take the other half as soon as I am done lifting.

Back