Amount of Fish Oil to take

colby2152

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Try to get 2-6 grams per day of EPA+DHA. The FDA has only approved 2 grams per day because of the ability of omega-3s to thin the blood (reduce clotting). However, if you are not at risk of bleeding abnormalities, anywhere up to 6 grams per day is beneficial. The burping WILL stop if you take them consistantly. Takes about a week for the burps to stop.

Keep in mind that omega-3s will be preferentially oxidized (burned for fuel), so a lot of what you supplement on a low carb diet will be burned as energy before it can be stored in fat cells where it does its magic. Whenever possible, take your fish oils after a meal or after carbs. The carb load to the liver will decrease the oxidation of the fatty acids and allow more to pass through into the blood for storage. This is good when it comes to omega-3s and CLA. </div>

I just started taking fish oil tablets today. I ordered the Udo's oil blend where it's about 20 bucks a bottle of 180 capsules. If I were to take 6g/day, then the bottle will be empty in a month.

Do I really need to take that much to get the full effect or could I go for 4 grams or even 2 grams?

I take 6 caps a day. Some of the cheaper brands are okay, just make sure you check the label to make sure it's not total crap. You won't hurt yourself if you only take half that a day instead though.

I dont think 6 grammes a day is necessary, I just bought a book on nutrition, it said shoot for 500-1000mg.

Is your Udo's blend made with fish oil?

<div>
(style @ Apr. 09 2006,20:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I dont think 6 grammes a day is necessary, I just bought a book on nutrition, it said shoot for 500-1000mg.

Is your Udo's blend made with fish oil?</div>
oil blend - flax, sunflower, and sesame oil, cold-pressed and unrefined

I agree that fish is the way to go... Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand it, you are trying to get a good ratio between omega 3s and omaga 6s in your diet. Colby, sunflower is actually high in omega 6 - so in a sense that could be somewhat counter productive to what you are trying to achieve. I tried to search for a list that showed foods high in omega 6, but didn't see anything off the bat. Though I'm not in favor of avoiding omega 6 foods, it's still good to know to keep things in balance.

Back