Any science to support post workout meals are superior ?

I've been doing IF (intermittent fasting) for the past 3 weeks. I'm only doing it because it fits into my schedule better and I don't obsess about food as much when I eat small meals all day. For those of you who aren't familiar, it's eating within a specified time window, then fasting until you reach your window again. My IF is 8 hours eating, 16 hours fasting. My one concern is that, while I'm comfortable with this regimen, I don't have a post workout meal. My last meal is at 4 pm, I workout at 6:30 pm, and don't eat until 8 am the next day.

So, I am wondering if there is any science to suggest that having a post workout meal is superior to not having one (caloric intake is same).

In your case, I really don't think it will matter. Protein synthesis peaks 24 hours after the workout so you are still eating within the window and in fact, protein synthesis will be higher when you start feeding than it is post-workout. Furthermore, your last meal is at 4 pm which means that the food will still be in your stomach during and after the workout. If you are concerned about catabolism during sleep, which I don't think will be a problem personally, then you could adjust your feeding schedule slightly to end with a post workout shake or something. But I don't think you need to do this. Catabolism during sleep really shouldn't be a problem since protein synthesis is elevated likely enough that net protein accretion is positive rather than negative.

I'm not arguing with Totentanz, but I personally feel that your training might be more effective if you could at least get in a protein drink after training. Protein only is sufficient.

There are many studies confirming the value of post-workout nutrition. To answer your question, I have one for you:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=6379720

Bottom line of the abstract says it all:

" It appears that supplementing the post-workout diet of Division I college football players with a nutraceutical recovery drink has favourable effects on body composition, peak power output and biochemical markers. "

I'm not arguing with Totentanz, but I personally feel that your training might be more effective if you could at least get in a protein drink after training. Protein only is sufficient.
Ditto and since I have to post at least 10 characters, ditto again

Back