Back To Hst After 6 Years. Previous Gains. New Goals And Concerns

SilverBullet

I don't remember if I was just a lurker on this forum back when I got serious about lifting 7 years ago so I am not sure if I properly introduced myself back then. I read this forum religiously and followed all the advice given by the experts here.

I started in late 2007. I followed the vanilla template15x1,10x2, 5x3. I did 2 bulk cycles, then 1 cut cycle, followed by 4 bulk cycles. Each cycle was 8-9 weeks long. The gains I made were amazing (attached PDF to this post with results). But I have to say diet was just as important as the workout routine. I counted calories, weighed every single thing I ate. I became too obsessive about it.

Midway through the 7th cycle I hit a brick wall. I suddenly stopped gaining any weight. I felt like my food wasn't digesting properly. It seemed as though I developed some kind of stomach ulcer. So, I lost motivation. I quit HST and then working-out altogether.

Fast forward 6 years later and I am motivated to do this all over again. But this time I am starting out lean, at 10% BF. I lost 30lbs of fat over the last 6 months. I did a DEXA scan to confirm that my numbers were correct.

I started reading the forum again and came across a thread discussing something new to me. Maximum Muscular Potential. I looked up the formula online and punched in my numbers. Height=78”, Ankle=9.5”, Wrist=7.5” I had to use a special formula for ectomorphs since apparently we only reach 95% of our potential. So the LBM that came back was 198lbs. I looked back at my weight midway through my HST cycle 7 (right when I hit the wall). 238lbs. At 17% bf, that equals to 198lbs LBM! Had I reached my peak? Is that as large as I will ever get? At 6'6” I've been hoping that I can put a ton of muscle to fill out that lanky frame. But am I doomed? What kind of realistic goals can I set for myself? Can I get past 200lbs of LBM?

Would love to hear your expert opinions.

Attachments

• previous HST results2.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 31
The genetic potential seems a bit low for your height. I have steve reeves book that has a genetic potential scale and mine is 200lb at 6ft. It doesn't take into account wrist, ankle measurements etc. though.

Didn't Totentanz reach 230lb at 6ft 1?

Totentanz. What was your heaviest leanest weight?

Last edited:
The results for your calculation seem wrong.

I found 210lbs of LBM and I'm 6' tall. I don't remember ankle and wrist sizes but I can guarantee you I have very thin wrists.

Remember that these are typically talking about your lean body mass at a low bodyfat percentage. Being fatter allows you to carry more lean mass than you would be able to at a leaner state.

At my absolute heaviest, I was around 250-260 lbs @ 20-25% bodyfat. Currently around 220 @ 12% or so. At my highest amount of lean mass, I was at 205 lbs of lean mass, I think I was 225 or 230 at that time? Not sure right off hand but it's probably in my logs somewhere.

The results for your calculation seem wrong.
I thought it was wrong too. But I tried calculators on different sites as well as crunching out the equation manually with my measurements. The result each time came back the same.

I've come to the realization that I can't let that demoralize me. When I get to that LBM again I will work my hardest to prove the equation wrong and push through it.
The goal again is to gain 20lbs of muscle in one year, probably 6 HST cycles. After that the gains will probably slow down considerably.

Absolutely. Start with Totz's Ebook which can be found on a pinned thread up top.

Thanks. I've started reading it. I got many of the principles discussed in the ebook through reading the message board many years ago. The simple 15,10,5 routine with just compound movements worked so well for me, so until I hit a plateau I will keep using this same magic formula.

20lbs of muscle in one year?
Best of luck to you....
I would think maybe 20lbs of mass on a mild bulk with maybe a solid 4lbs of muscle out of it... Maybe.

20lbs of muscle in one year?
Best of luck to you....
I would think maybe 20lbs of mass on a mild bulk with maybe a solid 4lbs of muscle out of it... Maybe.

I don't know if you can see the attached .pdf file up there in my original post. 6 years ago I made 20lbs of pure muscle gain in exactly one year. I started out at 216lbs with 17%BF and ended up at 236lbs with 17%BF. I do have to say that I counted every single calorie that went in my body. I have a massive excel sheet that logged every meal, every food, every "bite", every single day. Yes, it was obsessive, but I got the results.
I know I am much older now in my mid 30s but I am counting on my muscle memory to get me back up there. I am starting now at 195lbs with 10%BF

That's awesome... I wish I could gain like that!
I'm thrilled at the data you provide, and the accuracy you strive for with regards to body fat and "bulking"...
I believe you can grow muscle without massive calories and going off the scale with fat accumulation.
Maintaining 17% while putting on 20lbs is exactly the kind of results I want to strive for.
But remember, that still wasn't 20lbs of muscle you put on...
17% of 216 is 36.7lbs of fat.
17% of 236 is 40.1lbs of fat...
A mere difference of 3.4lbs more fat...
So a net gain of 16.5lbs of muscle... We'll done!
And I'm sure, even at 17% after that year, you probably looked closer to 12% with that growth.

I'm gonna study your pdf!

You're totally right. Thanks for the correction. I completely forgot to factor in the difference in LBM at the different weights. Good catch!
My first 2 cycles were pure beginner gains. I don't even think I gained much fat in those two cycles. My strength went up through the roof too.
Then on rounds 4 through 7 I was gaining fat steadily but still at a slow enough pace to keep me happy. During the cycles I used weeks 6 through 8 to build strength. Every week I kept going up in weights. I had so much energy due to the mild stress on the body during weeks 1 through 5 of the cycle. If you are interested I can share specific details of my routines (both lifting and nutrition).

I believe you can grow muscle without massive calories and going off the scale with fat accumulation.

As evidenced by the progress you have made thus far?

All the guys on this site with decent musculature have achieved such by bulking and cutting to get to the size they want.

By contrast, many people over the years have come here making the same statement you just made. Zero of them became muscular until they abandoned that belief.

No, as evidenced by Silver Bullets logs...
Gaining 4lbs of fat over 1 year on a routine is hardly what anyone here would call a "bulk" in and sense of the term...
Yet he managed to put on 16.5lbs of muscle.
I think he perfectly treaded the fine line between calories and growth, and that's exactly what I thought was possible...
Yet everyone here keeps screaming "bulk", filling their faces for 6 months, gaining 20+lbs of fat and spends the next 6 months burning it off (and hard earned muscle too!)
What a waste...

@ silver bullet... Totally interested in your nutrition and routine specifics...
Post 'em up or PM me if you prefer.
Thanks

Gaining 4lbs of fat over 1 year on a routine is hardly what anyone here would call a "bulk" in and sense of the term...
I think he perfectly treaded the fine line between calories and growth, and that's exactly what I thought was possible...
Yet everyone here keeps screaming "bulk", filling their faces for 6 months, gaining 20+lbs of fat and spends the next 6 months burning it off (and hard earned muscle too!)
What a waste...

What he did IS a bulk ... you seem to think that bulking means getting fat.

You're wrong.

Bulking means eating in caloric surplus.

Human beings understand that genetics and physics can't be averted, and gaining muscle means gaining fat as well. This process can be optimised, but not avoided.

He bulked, and did it well.

Yes, THAT is what I consider a proper bulk...
But most everyone here eats surplus well higher than that, you included I'll wager...
Nobody here eats just 270 calories extra a WEEK over maintenance on a bulk lol
(3500cal a pound X 4 lbs ÷ 52 weeks = 269.23cal) assuming he worked out the whole year.
270 cal surplus a DAY, at the very least, seems to be the standard here...and even 500 to 600 surplus calories a day isn't unheard of.
And that is what I am calling a waste...waste of food, waste of money, waste of effort (dieting).

What a waste...

I can't help but think you are intentionally misrepresenting what we've said about bulking. If you even read the ebook, you'd know your idea of bulking is a severely retarded retelling of what I actually wrote.

Nobody here has suggested obesity as a goal, so please stop being disingenuous just because you are unwilling to do what it takes to change your body.

Yes, THAT is what I consider a proper bulk...
But most everyone here eats surplus well higher than that, you included I'll wager...
Nobody here eats just 270 calories extra a WEEK over maintenance on a bulk lol
(3500cal a pound X 4 lbs ÷ 52 weeks = 269.23cal) assuming he worked out the whole year.
270 cal surplus a DAY, at the very least, seems to be the standard here...and even 500 to 600 surplus calories a day isn't unheard of.
And that is what I am calling a waste...waste of food, waste of money, waste of effort (dieting).
A pound of muscle is not 3500 calories. Nice try though.

I will try to attach one of my nutrition excel sheets later when I get home. It's a little overwhelming because it's super detailed with every food split into carbs, protein, and fat percentages. And charts that keep track of weight, fat intake ratios, etc. Throughout every bulk cycle I would try to keep the average fat intake between 27 and 30%. I still don't know if this percentage even matters because I've always had the fear of gaining too much fat so I tried keeping fat intake low. This time around I am not going to count calories religiously, which means that fat intake is going to be way higher and my calorie intake will be adjusted on a weekly basis, based on how fast my weight goes up. This means I am expecting to gain more fat this time around since I am not counting every calorie. I will still count the protein intake, though, which for me is around 1g/lb of bodyweight.

Back