Balls to the Wall.

New workout style, new log.

I am doing 3 sets of 6 reps for each exercise and prorgessing the load every workout so long as hit all my reps.  Workouts are twice/weekly frequency.  No SD, no cycling weights, just progression.

( My workouts are all raw unless otherwise noted, no belt, straps, shirts, etc.)

7/2/07
Deadlifts
(135x10)
(225x5)
305x6 PR-I am used to max-stim for these and it is really hard doing a straight set of deadlifts.  I actually cheated and took a bit of m-time between the last two reps.
Static Shrug holds: 305 for 6.

Bench
(135x10)
(185x3)
215 for 3x5 PR  My bench continues to skyrocket.  I also have a single-ply polyester "BLAST" bench shirt now which gives me about 10 extra pounds, as soon as I can do 225 for 3x6 raw, I will try for a shirted 275, or a raw 265.

Chins
BW+10 for 3x6 PR (at around 200 bodyweight, this is a pr, my chins suck but getting better.)

Upright Rows
90 for 3x6 PR  I love this exercise, my deltoids are looking great lately.

I'm really glad you started doing a log again. While different in some aspects, I think our routines are based off the same concept... then again I guess everyone's is to some extent. Regardless, I think you know what I mean and I'm looking forward to seeing how well ours work.

Thanks. I know many will probably find things they disagree with about my training, but I am not posting for critique, I just like to log my training and share my progress. I am s-l-o-w-l-y cutting while increasing strength, I know my bud Slapshotz has been able to set PRs even while cutting, the slower the cutting, the better to maintain muscle mass, increase or at least maintain strength and slowly burn off the fat.

Eventually my strength gains will plateau and at that point I will simply repeat loads while continuing to cut. Once I am around 8-10% bodyfat I will post new pics. (probably will end up around 185-190) I definitely have some new muscle mass since my last pics and I am excited about what I will look like leaned down.
cool.gif

good luck with the program

since your cutting s-l-o-w-l-y you shouldnt run into too much trouble maintaining and/or gaining strength. a more aggressive cut usually sees come temporary strength drops eventually as your body tries to adapt to the new bw, diet, w/o, energy levels etc. typically the body seems to adjust after a bit and the strength comes back once it gets used to the new "normal".

your approach should avoid that drop off but it does mean you will be dieting longer.

good luck

Congrats on the PR's sci! Great lifting. Good luck with the new routine and it's good to see you decided to keep a log. I'm also doing a slooow cut and focused on strength and explosive power.

This is a really nice concept, sci. I like your take on strength training - in fact just about everything you have ever posted, I'VE STOLEN!!
biggrin.gif
I hope you continue to hit your goals, as it looks like you have already established a few personal bests! CONGRATS!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Upright Rows
90 for 3x6 PR I love this exercise, my deltoids are looking great lately. </div>

About how far apart are you gripping your hands? I used to always have them about 6 inches apart, then it started to kill my wrists... so I had to spread them out a little.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the slower the cutting, the better to maintain muscle mass, increase or at least maintain strength and slowly burn off the fat.</div>

That's definitely the way to go Sci. When the time comes where your strength begins to plateau, you could possibly switch the gears of your diet by going into a slow bulk. That way, you will be able to slowly cut your bodyfat% while increasing muscle mass and strength.

P.S. Hooray, my 2000th post!
cool.gif

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 03 2007,10:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Upright Rows
90 for 3x6 PR  I love this exercise, my deltoids are looking great lately. </div>

About how far apart are you gripping your hands?  I used to always have them about 6 inches apart, then it started to kill my wrists... so I had to spread them out a little.</div>
I am using dumbells, and I try to keep my hands as far apart as possible since this increases the force on my deltoids. (e.g.- laterals)

7/6/06

Rack Pulls
315x6/6/6

Bench
215x5/5/5

Chins
BW+15x6/6/6 PR

DB Up Rows
95x5/5/5 PR

Bench and deadlift are stalling at no surprise. Stressful week left me losing some weight. I will eat more this weekend to get some strength back and then go back to slow cutting.

Abs aren't visible yet, but in a few weeks maybe starting to pop out.

7/9/07

Deads- ME
315x4

Bench
215- 3x6 PR

<u>Chins
</u>BW+20- 3x6 PR

DB UP Rows
95- 3x5

Deadlifts RE (done with top speed)
225x12 (could have done more, but endurance was slipping)

<div>
(liegelord @ Jul. 11 2007,00:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Congrats on the PR's sci!   How was the bench, max effort or still a few in the tank?</div>
It took all my effort to get the 6th rep on each set. Very close to failure. I doubt I could have got 7 on any set. Thursday I will put 220 on the bar and see what I can manage for reps.

7/13/07

Deadlift
warm-up bodyweightx50
135x10
225x5
275x5
295x5
295x1...spent.
....deadlifts are not improving, today I dropped the intensity to get some volume in, but I don't think that is going to work either. I might try the max-stim/westside routine that Totentanz is doing for deadlifts.

Bench
barx15
135x10
220x5/5/5 PR bench in particular is responding excellently to this program.

Chins
BW+25x4/4/2*dip belt broke in 3rd set! Did BWx8 for 3rd set.
*Don't ever buy a ironman dip belt, piece of crap lasted me less than one year!
sad.gif
I am just going to use an old leather belt and chain the weights to it with my dip belt chain and clip.

Up Rows
95x5/5/5

I did some labcoaty thinking about my bench doing so well while my deadlift is regressing. I believe that my bench is doing well because of optimal time under tension (tut). I timed my bench sets today. Each set of 5 took 20 seconds. I then timed a heavy effort deadlift and found that one rep took 10 seconds to finish. Doing the math tells me that my bench workout is taking 20 seconds/setx3 sets=60 seconds of TUT. To do that with the deadlift I would have to do only 6 full 'dead' reps. I decided to try doing my deadlift workout in 6 sets of 1 (max-stim style) and see how that goes for the next few workouts.

Actually changed some math...if 5 reps on bench takes 20 seconds, then 6 reps would take 24 seconds. That is 72 seconds total. And the deadlift total time for the rep takes about 8 seconds not 10 (I retimed it more accurately), so that gives me 9 reps to total 72 seconds.
So 9 max-stim reps it will be. Since deadlifts are so taxing I will use a full minute m-time between reps. That should give me a thorough workout.

I wouldn't be too disappointed in your deadlift progress if I were you. Just for contrast, I decided to max out on bench a couple days ago and only managed 205 for 1 rep, 215 totally failed. So...

Anyway, if you do decide to do something to specialize on deads, I think the program I am on now is excellent. There are a few exercises I would consider adding in just to help with the deads, but they may not even be necessary.

Regardless, nice progress on your bench.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jul. 13 2007,17:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">*Don't ever buy a ironman dip belt, piece of crap lasted me less than one year!
sad.gif
 I am just going to use an old leather belt and chain the weights to it with my dip belt chain and clip.</div>
I feel your frustration.

My gym's dip belt is flimsy, some guy broke it a while back...mgmt fixed it...yesterday some douche-rod stole it.

So today, I was doing dips w/ two leather belts linked together.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 13 2007,21:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wouldn't be too disappointed in your deadlift progress if I were you.  Just for contrast, I decided to max out on bench a couple days ago and only managed 205 for 1 rep, 215 totally failed.  So...

Anyway, if you do decide to do something to specialize on deads, I think the program I am on now is excellent.  There are a few exercises I would consider adding in just to help with the deads, but they may not even be necessary.

Regardless, nice progress on your bench.</div>
Thanks for the encouragement.
I did some reading online tonight and I have realized that in order to get stronger I have to cut my deadlifting down to once/week and do lighter assistance work on the other training day. It seems virtually ALL powerlifters pull from the floor once/week or even less frequently, and also virtually all of them do assistance work for the deadlift muscles. If I had the money I would get my hands on a reverse-hyper machine for assistance, but I'll make do with barbell stuff for now.

I am thinking to do one day of max-effort deadlifts for 9 max-stim style reps and then on the next workout do lighter assistance work with stiff-leg deads to work the posterior chain (my weakness) and perhaps hack squats (behind the leg rack pulls) to work the quads and traps.

I feel a major weakness is in my hips/lowerback (I am weakest when breaking the weight off the floor) and strict stiff-back/stiff-leg deads will be great for targeting that area. Reverse-hypers would be even better, but are out of reach (over $1000!).

Any other ideas are welcome....particularly if you have knowledge/experience in bringing up a weakness pulling from the floor. I have heard stiff-leg deads are good for that and also pulling from a deficit is great for that (pulling from a raised platform, basically the opposite of a rack pull.)

Back