Beginning Hst

Drew Whitt

Hey everyone,

New to this site here and this is my first post.

My name is Drew Whitt and i'm 19 years old. I starting lifting back in November of 2014 so I have very little experience here. I met Bob Evans, for those of you who are familiar with him, and he and I became friends. He suggested I try out this program HST.

I'm writing because as I said I have very little experience with lifting in general and am really looking for all the help I can get. I attached a copy of a draft of what my routine will look like if that helps at all.

I will greatly appreciate any suggestions, tips, advice, etc you guys have to offer!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 6.45.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 6.45.53 PM.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 6.46.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 6.46.01 PM.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 18
@Drew Whitt ,

Welcome to HST, have you read the HST ebook? It can be found at http://www.mediafire.com/download/nz28u6ifk7h36he/HST_Ebook.pdf

You appear to have set up your routine in DUP style is there any reason for this? (I do not have a problem as that is how I am currently doing it) as you have only been lifting for a few months I feel that it may better suit you setting it up the traditional vanilla style. How are you intending to set up your progression?

Exercise selections I would change

DB incline press - I would change this to barbell as correct increments with dumbells is generally more difficult than with a barbell particularly for a novice

You have selected 2 bicep and 1 tricep exercise, if you are going to do arms then I would suggest doing 2 exercises for triceps and 1 for biceps as your triceps are approximately 60% of your upper arm.

You have also selected lateral raises as part of your shoulder workout, you should if you can select another compound type movement for the shoulders (I would recommend single arm landmine presses if available or you can wedge a bar into a corner) as you will not be able to maintain correct form on isolation exercises during the 5 rep phase.

Other exercise selections are good IMO (would be better if you could do chins rather than lat pulldown) - you put a question mark against squats, any reason?

@mickc1965

Thanks for the response.

I apologize for my ignorance about all this but I'm not familiar with 'DUP' style or 'Vanilla'. I've sort have just been put into this without knowing a whole lot here. As for how I intend to progress this I not entirely sure on how to answer. I was under the impression of doing 2 weeks of 15 reps, 2 weeks of 10, and 2 weeks of 5 followed by a week of rest.

As for the barbell incline press, I head to the weight room alone and don't really have anyone to spot me there so I found using dumb bells is a little easier to do on my own. Also I'm not very familiar with the barbell press in general.

I completely under the bicep/tricep comment. Is there another tricep exercise you suggest?

Thanks for the help with shoulder exercises. I will look into the single arm land mine press, not only what it is but also if I can do it at my gym.

I selected lat pulls as opposed to chin ups due to a shoulder issue, have had to surgeries on my right shoulder, so getting my arm up over my head like that unsupported isn't good.

For the squats I put a question mark because I was wondering if using a squat machine was at all possible instead of a traditional squat rack. Again my shoulder limits this because in my second surgery I had to have some ligaments tightened and now my right army can't bend back in that position for a squat without a lot of discomfort.

Thanks again for your response and help, I greatly appreciate any help I can get as I try and start doing this for myself.

I apologize for my ignorance about all this but I'm not familiar with 'DUP' style or 'Vanilla'. I've sort have just been put into this without knowing a whole lot here. As for how I intend to progress this I not entirely sure on how to answer. I was under the impression of doing 2 weeks of 15 reps, 2 weeks of 10, and 2 weeks of 5 followed by a week of rest.

Ok, DUP is Daily Undulating Periodisation where you do different rep ranges throughout the week and your screenshots suggested that you were going to do 15s on Monday and Tuesday, 10s of Wednesday and Thursday and 5 on Friday and Saturday - Vanilla HST is just the straight forward 2 weeks at 15 then 2 weeks at 10s and 2 weeks at 5s (progression at 75, 80, 85, 90, 95 and 100% of each rm) again the ebook written by @Totentanz will clearly explain how to set up your routine.

As for the barbell incline press, I head to the weight room alone and don't really have anyone to spot me there so I found using dumb bells is a little easier to do on my own. Also I'm not very familiar with the barbell press in general.

Noted, even with dumbells when training with no spotter will be difficult in the 5s as the energy spent getting the dumbells up in the air will impact on the amount of reps performed.
Thanks for the help with shoulder exercises. I will look into the single arm land mine press, not only what it is but also if I can do it at my gym.

See link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/single-arm-linear-jammer - there are loads of other exercises detailed.

For the squats I put a question mark because I was wondering if using a squat machine was at all possible instead of a traditional squat rack. Again my shoulder limits this because in my second surgery I had to have some ligaments tightened and now my right army can't bend back in that position for a squat without a lot of discomfort.

You could do squats on a machine but it would be better if you could do front squats if your shoulder is up to it, if not you could do barbell hack squats , hack squats on a hack squat machine or last choice would be leg press at http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/7/muscle/quadriceps

Sorry for the confusion. I understand the DUP vs Vanilla training. The screen shots I added were just for this sort of pre-training week to assess what weights I should be using at each increment. After this week I be doing vanilla.

I will use those links to look at shoulder exercises. Again, thank you so much for your help I greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for the confusion. I understand the DUP vs Vanilla training. The screen shots I added were just for this sort of pre-training week to assess what weights I should be using at each increment. After this week I be doing vanilla.

Ok that explains it, good luck!!

remember you are supposed to take 9 days off training (SD) before you start your HST training so if you are testing your rep maxes then you will need 9 days off before starting HST.

Definitely try front squats. They are much kinder on shoulders if you have mobility issues.
Unless it is going against the advice of your physician, do start doing mobility work for your shoulders. Check out Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD channel on YouTube for a decent selection of shoulder mobility exercises.

Back