Bodybuilding Bread Machine Perfection

Brian Withers

This came out absolutely perfect. Tastes good and is very high in fiber and protein.

2 pound size of bread in a bread machine:

3 tspn of rapid rise dry yeast
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 cup of ground flax seeds
.5 cups of oat bran
.5 cups of wheat gluten (75-80% protein) :)
3 cups of warm water
2 eggs
3 tbsp of oil
1 tspn of salt
1 tbsp of brown sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients except the sugar and salt together in the bread machine pan. Add the sugar, salt, to the water and add to the mix. Then add the eggs and oil. Stir just enough to mix. Program the bread machine for whole heat setting in a 2 pound (large loaf) size.

Nutrition information:
1 slice (about 10 per loaf):
138 calories
10.7 grams of protein
17.0 grams of carbs
1.3 grams of sugar
5.4 grams of fiber
11.2 grams of fat
2.8 grams of omega 3's

whew.

I tried this again last night except didn't use any olive oil, but added an extra egg instead. The bread came out with the same consistancy and taste (as far as I could tell). So now you have two versions dependings on your goals :)

I'll post the updated nutritional information later, but it should cut the fat in half and boost the protein a tiny bit.

Hey, thanks! Nice work.

The jury will be out on the taste until I try it -- I have to start by talking to one of my 5 friends with a bread machine they never use about unloading it for them. :)

Great post Brian!
thumbs-up.gif

I'm definately going to give it a try!

Not to ruin an "all natural" homemade bread, but if you really wanted to keep sugar low, you could replace some of the sugar with Splenda. Of course, I haven't tried it yet, but it was just a thought.
blush.gif

As you can tell, I'm no expert with bread machines, but, is there any way to replace some of the oat "bran" with whole oats?

Just curious...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Dec. 03 2003,7:49)]Not to ruin an "all natural" homemade bread, but if you really wanted to keep sugar low, you could replace some of the sugar with Splenda. Of course, I haven't tried it yet, but it was just a thought.
blush.gif
This is an tempting thing to do. However the sugar isn't in there just for taste. It gets the yeast started. I also believe the salt is in there for a good reason as well but I don't know for sure. You can however substitute honey for the sugar if you want.
Maybe you knew that already because you said replace some not just replace You could definately do some experiments to see the minimum amount of sugar necessary to make it rise properly. In fact, last time I used 3 tspns of sugar instead of a whole tbsp and it came out fine. Maybe next time I'll use 2 tspns.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Dec. 03 2003,7:53)]As you can tell, I'm no expert with bread machines, but, is there any way to replace some of the oat "bran" with whole oats?
Just curious...
You should just be able to replace the oat bran with whole oats without modifying anything else.

Nutritional info (based on 3 tspns of sugar vs. 1 tbsp above and no oil)

servings per loaf: 12 slices

1 slice, 37.3 grams:

Calories: 160
Total fat: 5.9 grams
Omega 3's: 2.3 grams
Total carbs: 20.7 grams
Fiber: 5.5 grams
Sugars: 0.8 grams
Protein: 10.8 grams

I don't have a machine, but I'm a bread fiend, and used to make my own the hard way.

Notes on sugar/honey: you don't need as much added in a whole-flour recipe, because the whole flour has some naturally occuring sugars (unlike white flour). Also, if you want to reduce the amount of sugar to a minimum, you can start the yeast in a cup on the side -- use 1/2 cup warm water, the yeast, and your sugar. Stir and set aside and prepare your other ingredients. Keep an eye on it; it will start to froth when the yeast activates (comes to life); you want to add it to the rest of your ingrediencts soon after it has jumpstarted. Don't let the foam monster grow out of the cup.

Also, remember to deduct the water you use from the rest of your recipe! Water content makes a big difference, and you will have to adjust water content for humidity/altitude.

I haven't made bread in much too long. . .

I've made bread using oatmeal ground into a flour with a coffee grinder (as opposed to a blender) - gives it a powdery, flour- like consistency (which can also be used to thicken meat stews etc.). Just thought that would be better than using wheat flours (with their higher GIs).

You do realise that grinding the oatmeal up will create the same basic thing as a whole wheat flour?
Similar GI and all..?

I had wondered about this. I reasoned that grinding oats in a blender couldn't be any different from chewing them in your mouth in terms of raising the GI. I also grind up whole oatmeal, so that all the fibre remains, including the soluble stuff that supposedly forms a gooey, time releasing lump in your stomach. So have I been wasting my time?

As I understand it, when you chew the unground oats, you don't get the same result in terms of increasing the effective surface area of the carbohydrate, that you do when grinding the oats in a blender.

The chewed bolus of unground oats still contains larger chunks of fibrous material that your body can't process as efficiently as chewed ground-up oats.

Even different thicknesses of oat flakes produce noticeable changes in G.I.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kiharan @ Dec. 11 2003,7:17)]As I understand it, when you chew the unground oats, you don't get the same result in terms of increasing the effective surface area of the carbohydrate, that you do when grinding the oats in a blender.
The chewed bolus of unground oats still contains larger chunks of fibrous material that your body can't process as efficiently as chewed ground-up oats.
Even different thicknesses of oat flakes produce noticeable changes in G.I.
A funny sidenote to this: A lot of bodybuilders swear up and down that old fashioned oats are better than instant oatmeal because of the lower GI. THEN, they blend it up with their protein shakes! LOL!

'Dangerously' Hardcore version:
2 cups of ground flax
1 cup of wheat gluten
.5 cup of whole oats
1 cup of water
6 eggs
3 tspn rapid rise yeast
2 tspn sugar
1 tspn of salt
optional: 2 tbsp of splenda to improve taste
The lab results are in from the sample I sent out. They said this is the first time a sample has ever tested negative on the GI scale. :)

The nutritional content of the new version:

1 slice or 1/12 of the loaf:
Calories: 187.5
Protein: 11.3 g
Fat: 8.9 g
Omega 3's: 3.4 g
Carbs: 11.8 g
Fiber: 4.3 g
Net Carbs: 7.5 g

Back