Bulking with low carbs

Tcup

I dont seem to remember have we been talking this before but still i`ll give it a go. Hitting hi-carbs during bulking usually bloat me to some point. Now I`m wandering what would happen if I would be able to bulk with same caloric intake but drop down the carb levels. Of course nothing like in atkins because then i would lose my energy for high intensity training.

So have anyone of you tried low carb bulking?

It's very very tiring . . . esp. if you do anything over 3x a week.

Have you tried using vinegar if bloating is a problem?

Do a search for it in the Supplements forum.

Yeah, vinegar works really well at stopping bloating if nothing else (it does do more though). When I am trying to keep my carbs in check a bit and need but still need to keep the calories up, I usually add MCT oil to my shakes. Great way to boost the cals.

tcup - what percentage of carbs intake makes you feel bloated?
50% of total calorie intake?

i always feel bloated when i eat alot of carbs. but i'll just gonna take it all off when i cut.

Yeah it`s somewwhere there when i hit 50%. Now i`ve been a little over a week in that low carb bulkin diet and I`m satisfied. No bloating and still have been able to maintain the training intensity. Still this was just quick review for my next bulking cycle.
Today starting cutting.. Hmm what`s that I hear coming this way..is it a plane?..is it a kite?..no..it is the magnifico el grande hunger :D

did the low carb bulk give you the same results as the high carb bulk? how low was it?

i want to do that too but if i lower my carbs..i'd have to up my fat intake...that means...more olive oil!?!?
crazy.gif

yeahhh cutting cycles make me hungry.. and grumpy

I didnt go atkins or anything. I just dropped carbs somwhere near 30% and try to have them mainly at breakfast and around training. I did not notice any fatigue or other negative side-effects. Good thing was that i did loose the bloating feeling that i had. Fat didn`t go anywhere though
tounge.gif
I would suggest you try that. I did it only short period time but I`m sure that next time I`ll bulk with lower carbs.

Yeah..easiest way for me was to increase fat intake but that wasnt a big problem. I didn`t even notice did I ate 10 or 20 g of olive oil with my tuna :D

wow i think i'll try that low carb bulk :) how much fat are you taking in? i think i'd have to buy some more bottles of olive oil for my low carb bulk. dang... but i love carbs! ;) i guess i will just have to keep em at 200g maximum.

Hey! goal220, when you say "vinegar works really well at stopping bloating if nothing else (it does do more though)." Sound like worth trying, but what more does it do? How much would one add to the diet? :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (epsilon @ Nov. 13 2005,9:18)]Hey! goal220, when you say "vinegar works really well at stopping bloating if nothing else (it does do more though)."   Sound like worth trying, but what more does it do? How much would one add to the diet?  :)
It`s definately worth having a go. Cheap as dirt for a supplement. Cider vinegar is the most accessible and easiest to down. Vinegar also helps improve the efficiency of glycogen repletion which is particularly important if you are going relatively low carb. Do a search. There`s quite a lengthy discussion on vinegar. As far as consumption/timing goes, taken 3 times/day is fine (approx. 2 tblsp.) is fine. Always take it before the meal. I experimented with NOW cider vinegar capsules but I noticed a greater difference with liquid.

When I`m going low carb or carb cycling(like now), I also add MCT oil to my shakes to boost the calories. You can get an extra 300-400 cals without any effort this way. Not for everyone but it works well for me. I also use Health From The Sea`s liquid fish oil (get about 200+ cals from this daily). Still, don`t go too low carb. While it`s great for cutting, I always find that if I go below 50g or so for more than a couple days, it saps my strength significantly. Best to cycle in my opinion. Nothing too fancy in my routine for cycling. It`s more by feel for me. I up the carbs somewhat (150 to 200 or so) when I think I need more in the tank so to speak but try to keep things around 100g.

"As far as consumption/timing goes, taken 3 times/day is fine (approx. 2 tblsp.) is fine."
Those two tablespoons are pure vinegar ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (epsilon @ Nov. 13 2005,1:48)]"As far as consumption/timing goes, taken 3 times/day is fine (approx. 2 tblsp.) is fine."
Those two tablespoons are  pure vinegar ?
Well I don't know about pure. I think most vinegars are about 2% acetic acid. I know that there are some high strength vinegars sold in garden supply stores that are like 20% but that's not what I'm talking about. How are you defining "pure"? 100% acetic acid? Bleh!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Nov. 13 2005,4:01)]wow i think i'll try that low carb bulk :) how much fat are you taking in? i think i'd have to buy some more bottles of olive oil for my low carb bulk. dang... but i love carbs! ;) i guess i will just have to keep em at 200g maximum.
My fat intake in somewhere around 25% of total intake.

if your fat intake is around 25%, and carbs is under 50%... surely your protein intake is beyond the suggested 1g/lb ? ...

but what if your protein intake is only 1g/lb or even less (1.6g/kg? *read this somewhere in this board*) , do you have the excuse to up carbs above 200? :D
this dang bloating due to carbs is really freaky. and reading this thread
click about getting lean w/ under 200g of carbs. this makes reaching a +500 calorie surplus hard unless fat intake goes up to 80g or even higher. 80g of fat doesn't look good does it?

Yeah my protein intake is much more than 1g/lb but that`s the way if you want to keep your carbs low. Still I cycle my carbs during a week so on the weekend I eat more carbs and cut down towards the next weekend. So in total the intake is somewhat low but still you have more energy during the first days of the week. This is noted in my training regimen as I hit my lagging parts on those days. A little bit higher training intensity than later days of the week.
After the weekend i somewhat bloated but it`s doesn`t stay that way for a long
tounge.gif

Yeah my protein intake is much more than 1g/lb but that`s the way if you want to keep your carbs low. Still I cycle my carbs during a week so on the weekend I eat more carbs and cut down towards the next weekend. So in total the intake is somewhat low but still you have more energy during the first days of the week. This is noted in my training regimen as I hit my lagging parts on those days. A little bit higher training intensity than later days of the week.
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

the question is always how low low is... i don't go heavy on carbs even not while bulking... but a low carb environnement is not optimal for bulking due to energy and insuline reason (yes insuline also has its good abilities such as its anabolic properties)

anyway, i usually bulk on 40 % carbs, concentrating the main part of carbs around my workout... while dieting i usually don't go below 30 % of carbs...

Back