Cardio while on HST

DwayneJohnson

Hi everyone

I am about to start an HST cycle where my goal is to build muscle without putting on any fat (or as little fat as possible).
2 questions for you guys:

1 . Is it recommended to do High Intensity Interval running (e.g 16-20 min) or more traditional cardio (30-40 min slow to moderate pace)?

2. How many cardio sessions per week should I do?

Thanks!

Hi "Rock", if your goal is to gain muscle you need to gain weight, and by gaining weight you will gain some fat. It is just the way it is.

I don't think you should be doing any interval training, as it will hamper your recovery and growth response from HST.

Very light cardio sessions of 20-30 min should be ok on OFF days.

Cardio will minimize gains. It will not minimize fat gain the way you think. It would be equivalent to simply eating less during a bulk. You will just have less fuel for building mass. Cardio does not alter p-ratio.

These guys are right...you want to focus and target one process, and in this case, it's muscle mass.
With that said, if you can employ cardio to boost your metabolism in a way as to not hamper muscle growth (I'm thinking a very intense HIIT), you should be able to ramp up your caloric intake accordingly, meaning more protein intake, more carb and fat intake...basically making sure you have a surplus of nutrients...everything your body needs to repair and build.
But you also don't want to expend strength and energy on something that is gonna hinder you lifts.

I'm going to try a 9 day SD on my next cycle, followed by 5 or 6 days of strenuous HIIT and a weekend off prior to starting my lifts. My theory being, a non-growth simulating metabolic boost as a prep, with my 15's giving me a little extra "carry-over" of a higher met- rate, and eating HUGE before settling into a "normal" caloric surplus by about the middle of my 10's.
Two benefits I think...a higher metabolism effectively stimulates all body processes and allows for greater caloric intake without too much fat storage, effectively insuring my body gets all it's "repair material" and then some without it being wasted as fat storage.
Again, just my theory...

Sent from my iPhone...

Back