chicken only anyone?

skinnyman

my doctor has prohibited me from eating beef because she said my bad cholesterol is ALMOST high (i'm 18 yrs old, both parents have high blood pressure, runs in the genes). she said i've been getting the bad cholesterol from beef even though it's lean. so can only eat chicken (i don't like pork too much)

therefore i got a problem with fitday because i don't know how 4oz of lean chicken looks like. in the eating for size article it says that 4 oz of beef is like the size of the palm. do the same rule apply for chicken?

thanks.

Yeah.. it's pretty similar - depending on thickness of steak/chicken

If you buy frozen chicken breasts/tenders from the store and canned chicken, then the nutrition facts on there are pretty consistent. When it comes to going out to eat (not fast food - they have stats), then just estimate.

If cholesterol is a problem for you, what are you thinking about whey powders? ON has 30mg, I dunno if that's high for you, I haven't watched cholesterol since I was on Accutane.

well my doctor said whey protein is still okay :) that's good news for me.

other than chicken and whey, i'm getting protein from eggs too.

thanks guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Feb. 17 2006,12:25)]well my doctor said whey protein is still okay :) that's good news for me.
other than chicken and whey, i'm getting protein from eggs too.
thanks guys.
so the doctor doesnt like the cholesterol from beef, but the cholesterol from eggs, chicken and whey is ok?

aaron - yeah. egg yolks are limited to 3 times a week. My doctor said the fat in beef are in between the meat even though it's lean. and that contributes to bad cholesterol. whey protein is still okay.
what's confusing about that is i read in a local newspaper that beef and chicken have almost the same cholesterol. Although I don't think having a newspaper as the source is reliable.

dang cholesterol levels..

today i heard from my chemistry teacher that even though olive oil only has little saturated fats, the monounsaturated (or polyunsaturated) can be converted to saturated fats once inside the body. and that can contribute to an increase in cholesterol levels. i hope that's not true. I hope i misunderstood the information she gave. I love olive oil!

you need to watch your saturated fat intake more than your cholesterol intake. Your body will make much cholesterol from that than what you are eating anyways....

Increasing the ratio of good to bad cholesterol;

It has been demonstrated that by putting people on a multivitamin and mineral programme you can consistently lower blood pressure and increase the ratio of HDL to LDL.

Colgan, M 'Effects of nutrient supplmentation on athletic performance', a paper given to the US Navy Research and Development Centre, San Dieago (April 1983)

An effective way of raising the HDL to LDL ratio and lowering total cholesterol levels is by consuming sufficient quantities of Omega 3 oils.

Saynor, R et al 'The long term effects of dieatary supplementation with fish lipid concentrate on serum lipids, bleeding time, platelets and angina' Atherosclerosis , vol 50, pp 3-101 (1984)

cool. i guess i have to eat more tuna fish
biggrin.gif

another question though..
i've been told that there is creatine in the beef we eat. I was wondering if beef is the highest source of creatine compared to chicken or other meats.

If i'm to lay off the beef, will there be enough creatine in the chickeN?

or does it really matter?
smile.gif

i'm not planning to take any creatine supplements because in my experience, it causes me acne.

My LDL dropped more from eliminating trans-fats from my diet than anything else. I eat plenty of beef, but no "partially hydrogenated" anything. Perhaps the best thing to raise your HDL (and I think the HDL/LDL ratio is more important than the total LDL) is niacin. The tingle/flush can be annoying, but it is pretty cheap with relatively few side effects. Heridity just sucks sometimes, doesn't it!
rock.gif

skinny, there are some other very effective weapons you can add in your arsenal against LDL and to increase your HDL

1) eat whole wheat products like hell, for instance cereals, oats, etc.
2) take flax seed oil or any product where you can get omega-3
3) eat a lot of white fish, such as salmon, king fish, tuna fish, etc.
4) cook all your meat (chicken, fish, etc.) as grilled and remove the oil, except for the salmon oil, which is rich in omega-3
5) eat food with fibers, such as broccoli, spinach, etc.
6) do cardio, it can be either one, moderate high intensity protocol or HIIT

also be aware that adding omega3 products to your other fat intake, rather than replacing other fats with omega3 you may actually increase plasma cholesterol levels.

wow that made me thinking...

other fat intake like fats from lean meat + omega3 = plasma thing cholesterol ?
or
fat intake like fats from butter/saturated fats + omega3 = plasma thing cholesterol?

Back