Chins And Dips

Maelstrom

Ok. I've been an intermittent trainer for years until a long layoff due to a shoulder injury. Dropped from 105kgs to 67kg by dieting over the last year and now that my shoulder is good again I'm back in to training. discovered hst by accident and I'm about to start. The only problem is that I can not do dips or chins. 5 reps at bodyweight is my max.

So, if I we're to do pushups at different elevations throughout 15, 10, and then bring dips in at 5s would that be ideal, or should I just stick with a different exercise?

What would be an adequate substitute for chins? Or should I get an assistance band that is variable to allow me to do 15?

They're both two excellent exercises and I'd feel like I'm cheating not to include them.

Thanks for the help and thanks for all the other information I've been devouring here so far.

Welcome to HST,

Dips - I have assumed you are using dips to focus on chest rather than triceps so if you have access to an assisted dip machine at the gym you use then that would be a good option for you could if not add decline bench for the 15s and 10s.

Chins - do you have access to a lat pulldown machine if not then resistance bands seem to be your best option for the 15s and 10s

What exercises do you propose to use in your routine?

Welcome to HST,

Dips - I have assumed you are using dips to focus on chest rather than triceps so if you have access to an assisted dip machine at the gym you use then that would be a good option for you could if not add decline bench for the 15s and 10s.

Chins - do you have access to a lat pulldown machine if not then resistance bands seem to be your best option for the 15s and 10s

What exercises do you propose to use in your routine?

Ok cheers, that's kind of what I thought. I'm going to do the workout from the ebook but I'm tempted to do just the main body parts for the first time around. Then look at adding bicep/triceps later. Still thinking it through and I'll hopefully start on Monday if the bands arrive. If not I'll spend more time honing in on my rep maxes.

Resistance bands are an excellent and inexpensive way to overcome these problems.

Start with your largest muscles and add on the smaller ones only when you get to a minimum of an intermediate body.

Back