Cold Turkey method of Quitting Smoking

katt

[FONT=&quot]There are a number of people who try to quit smoking every year. It is important to have a determined mindset to achieve the goal and to select the right way to quit smoking. One Way to quit smoking is by quitting cold turkey.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cold Turkey is the method of quitting cigarettes all at once rather than the gradual reduction in the number of cigarettes smoked. This is one of the most famous methods of quitting smoking and is known to have a high success rate. Trying for a gradual reduction in smoking, only leads to the extension of the quitting date. This is not seen in the cold turkey method. Instead, quitting cold turkey gives a feeling of complete control over oneself.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Though this is a popular and effective method, it is known to have some side effects. The withdrawal symptoms in this case are magnified due to the sudden absence of nicotine and other substances that the body gets used to. Some of the side effects are cravings, irritability, mood swings, headache, short term but sudden drop in sugar level, increased craving for food and dizziness.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]These withdrawal symptoms are faced by all but are seen in varying strengths in different people. The body is known to react drastically as it is suddenly deprived of tobacco. The symptoms are a result of the psychological rather than physiological dependence on nicotine. The brain demands more nicotine until it realizes that it is not possible and begins to adapt to the absence of nicotine. This requires at least 3 to 4 days depending on the duration and extent of addiction.[/FONT]

I quit cold turkey last year, by starting of with small targets. The first day I said to myself "Right Im gonna go to lunch time with out smoking" got to lunch then set a new target of going the rest of the day without smoking. Then after the first day set a new target of a full day, then a week and so on... I found this really helped as the thought of never smoking again was very daunting but the thought of a day without smoking seemed relatively easy. Dont get me wrong it took will power but once I got past a month, there seemed little point instarting again, undoing all that hard work. Now 1 yr 3 months clean so to speak.

Back