"Come back to HST..."

texmeister

Hi everbody

I've been lifting for one year or a bit more and I made a cycle of HST 9 monthes ago but my diet was very bad. A month after I began to eat properly.
I'd like to come back to HST, but don't really know how...

-I'm very bad at pull-ups, I don't think I can do more than...10 so dont know how to use it in HST.

-I got an elbow injury and can't make skullcrushers ( I saw how to cure that in the FAQ), but I can do triceps push down but my machine allows me a minimum of 10 pounds increments... so it'll probably be hard for HST.

-I can't lift heavy on deadlifts and can't make any squat due to a knee injurie ( I can make light dead lift and barbell hack squat)

I've done Fullbody workout following Chad Waterbury's tips , my muscle grew well and in two month add about 20 pounds at my bench press... but at the end to cycle I felt tired overtrained demotivated and missed a few workout... I bulk up til May so I want to put on a lot of mass before the Summer comes...

After my SD here's my workout (next week)

A
Bench press 1
dips 2
chins 1
bent Rows 2
deadlit 1
leg curl 2
preacher curl 1
Triceps don't knw what to do maybe Close grip Bench??...1
DB military press 1
Front delt 2
Butterfly (ABSOLUTLY NECESSARY FOR THE INNER PEC!!!)1

B
Incline press
dips
hack sqt
leg curl
curls
Triceps don't know ...
Military press
rear delt
pull ups??pull down ( only 10 pound increment??)
bent rows
(buterfly)

Exercises 1) 2 set 2) 1 set

For the Rep Range I tought 12, 10, 8, 6 ( 2 weeks each) Do you think deacreasing 2 reps is enough?? would i be better make the 10,5, 5?

For the load I didn't understand the zigzag and don't know how to manage the weights... dont know if i got to do the high rep range since I'm not in my first cylcle?? So if you could advice me, would be nice.

thank for your answer!!

keep trainin'

tex

A little too much volume for me. Also the a/b thing is confusing and not really needed for a newbie. For the rep ranges do 15, 10, 5 and 2 sets in the 15's and 10's and 3 sets in the 5's.

bench, chins, rows, dips, deads, hack squats and calf raises should cover everything.

Keep it simple....

There is no such thing as inner pecs. The pectorals fibers stretch from the arm pit to the center of the sternum. You can't work one end of the fibers without working the other.
Anyway, your routine looks good. Alot of exercises, but still good.

I also have elbow problems and can only use pushdowns to train triceps. The weight stack at my gym has 10lb increments. I usually use 5 lb increments in my HST cycles so I just add a 5lb plate to the pin that I use on the weight stack. I find you can do this with almost any machine that uses a weight stack with pins.

Firm

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 21 2007,01:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There is no such thing as inner pecs.  The pectorals fibers stretch from the arm pit to the center of the sternum.  You can't work one end of the fibers without working the other.
Anyway, your routine looks good.  Alot of exercises, but still good.</div>
Yes, you can't work one end of the fiber without workin the other but with the bench press the inner fibers are not work enough. My inner pecs have never grown and a guy explained me that I had to use isolations exercises for the pecs(the ones on which you cross arms) . IF you want this part to grow the best exercise is the low pulley flies on a bench (incline, decline, flat) and you must cross your arms because it's the only way to stretch enough this part. IT WORKS VERY WELL.
Christian Thibaudeau wrote an article about that Thib's article. He explains we can out more stress on a part of the muscle abd with bench press I actally think taht the inner part is not work enough...

Except that for the rep range what do you think? I also thought to go for 12 or 15, 10, 5, 4? ( Do I really need the 15's??) I didn't wanted to make 3 sets for low rep ranges altought it would maybe be better for strenght???
For the weight can anyone explain me how to mage that?

THK

tex

I am in my first cycle of HST (first week of negatives), and I would say dont over think it too much. I did 1x15,2x10 and 3x5 and have seen some very concrete visible gains (became noticeable during last Week of 10's) but have appreciated the lack of soreness compared to previous routines I've done.My strength has also increased which is most amazing to me as I've been doing conventional powerlifting and HIT style routines for several years and was not expecting HST to do as much for strength as it has/is.
I started thinking that as an experienced lifter I should do 2 or 3 x 15's , 3x10's and around 5x 5's but ended up going the &quot;vanilla&quot;HST route and it's undeniable that it works just fine this way.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Jan. 22 2007,13:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am in my first cycle of HST (first week of negatives), and I would say dont over think it too much. I did 1x15,2x10 and 3x5 and have seen some very concrete visible gains (became noticeable during last Week of 10's) but have appreciated the lack of soreness compared to previous routines I've done.My strength has also increased which is most amazing to me as I've been doing conventional powerlifting and HIT style routines for several years and was not expecting HST to do as much for strength as it has/is.
  I started thinking that as an experienced lifter I should do 2 or 3 x 15's , 3x10's and around 5x 5's but ended up going the &quot;vanilla&quot;HST route and it's undeniable that it works just fine this way.
biggrin.gif
</div>
thank so I will use the &quot;original&quot; HST. Don't you have any advice for the load?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes, you can't work one end of the fiber without workin the other but with the bench press the inner fibers are not work enough.</div>
There are no 'inner' fibers...the fibers stretch the entire length of the muscle.
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> My inner pecs have never grown and a guy explained me that I had to use isolations  exercises for the pecs(the ones on which you cross arms) . IF you want this part to grow the best exercise is the low pulley flies on a bench (incline, decline, flat) and you must cross your arms because it's the only way to stretch enough this part. IT WORKS VERY WELL. </div>
That guy is wrong, it is impossible to grow the outer part of your pecs and not the inner, or vice versa.  It only appears that way because the fibers are bunched up at the arm-pit and thicker looking, while the fibers at the other end are spread out on the sternum and appear thinner.
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Christian Thibaudeau wrote an article about that Thib's article. He explains we can out more stress on a part of the muscle abd with bench press I actally think taht the inner part is not work enough...</div>
That article is very interesting, but ultimately it is science fiction.  Christian's conclusions go against known facts about physiology.

Any exercise which works the pectorals will work the entire length of the muscle, because the muscle's origin is the sternum and the insertion point is the humerus.  There is no point in between which the muscle can anchor to, so any tension generated will pull the entire length of the fiber.

That said, I see nothing wrong with the low pulley flyes. They will work the pectorals fine. But they will not work the inner area of the chest any better than any other effective pectoral exercise.

Well there is a pec minor muscle, which is a seperate muscle to the pec major, and maybe hitting that muscle and hypertrophying it is what causes the effect of the &quot;inner pec&quot; growing and causing more size/shape of the pecs.

Just a thought. Sci is right about the muscle activation over the whole length of the muscle though, there is no such thing as what that lune is talking about.

Science Fiction
biggrin.gif
I think a lot of people would have missed that one Sci.

I understand that according to hst I need to do 1-2 sets for each exercise…but how many exercises I need to do each workout(9 or 14)? Can u please give me some examples of hst workouts?
thanks.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I understand that according to hst I need to do 1-2 sets for each exercise…but how many exercises I need to do each workout(9 or 14)? Can u please give me some examples of hst workouts?thanks. </div>

1 set for 15's/2 sests or 1.5 for 10's and 3 sets for 5's is the basic rule.

Exercises - find the thread simplify and win which I started and you'll find quite a few different workouts, personally I use currently only 6 p/workout which are alternated with some different ones.
biggrin.gif

It's just as hard of a mental shift as accepting HST to accept doing less exersizes and growing. But since my 3 exersizes with the 5x5, I'm living proof of it lately. Next time I may add in two more assistance exersizes though (pullups and flyes) for reasons of my own. For HST, I do 6-7 exersizes now, rather than the 13 I used to.

Doing more than 6 or 7 is a waste IMO
biggrin.gif

To accomplish this I do 5 xp/week training and split up the extras.
wink.gif

Back