Confused about RBE

JimmyC

If i am in the middle of a cycle, and something comes up where i have to miss 5 days (4 or 5 workouts doing 6x / wk routine), i am unsure of what happens during that time off.

when i continue after the 5 day break, would RBE have caught up so i have to skip an increment or two to stay ahead?

or

would the 5 day break have 'decondition' the muscles at all, making the RBE back off, allowing me to continue where i left off, or even a little lighter than that?

or

does a 5 day break mess up my high-frequency routine so much in another way that i should just SD it and take another 5 days off?

can someone please explain this to me?
thanks, Jimmy

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If i am in the middle of a cycle, and something comes up where i have to miss 5 days (4 or 5 workouts doing 6x / wk routine), i am unsure of what happens during that time off.

when i continue after the 5 day break, would RBE have caught up so i have to skip an increment or two to stay ahead?
No, RBE "cathces up" with you when you continually apply the same load. Bryan uses a great analogy about calluses, so let's use it. RBE is the callus, the more you agitate (work out) the skin, the more resistant it becomes to the agitation. Now to increase the calluses you must apply a higher degree of agitation, to decrease them you lessen the degree of agitation. Get it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]would the 5 day break have 'decondition' the muscles at all, making the RBE back off, allowing me to continue where i left off, or even a little lighter than that?
SOme but very little, I doubt in five days you'll see much difference, but you could.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]does a 5 day break mess up my high-frequency routine so much in another way that i should just SD it and take another 5 days off?
Yes it messes up your frequency and impacts the protein synthesis on those days, but again five days off isn't going to be that detrimental that I would start an SD over it.

thanks for the reply, dkm.
thats a good analogy, i understand it better now.

so i should just start up where i left off then?

would repeating weights for 6 workouts cause RBE? i can't increment much on inclined hammer curls...
thanks in advance
thumbs-up.gif

Yes, but it is dependant on how conditioned the muscle is to the weight.

Unfortunately there isn't anything that I have seen that tells us exactly how much to increment. If you are working with the same weight over and over (because of your strength) then the only thing you can do is either, add more TUT, Frequency or both, but by even doing these there will come a point where the weight isn't effective, what that timeframe is ??

My personal opinion, and I could be wrong, is try adding another set if you are stuck at a weight for a long duration, but not at first, maybe three workouts with your stuck weight then the next three add another set or increase the freq to two a day.

Also if you can still increment even if a little then do that also. Just don't over do the sets so much were you can't workout that muscle group with your planned freq.

Back