Considering Using Myo Reps For The Majority Of Volume, Thoughts?

adpowah

I am following the more conventional rep scheme for HST each for two weeks progressing each week; 3x15, 4x10, 5x5, 6x2. However I am also doing conservative maxing on my Deadlift. Now this has been working just fine but due to my schedule I haven't made it to the 5x5 and 6x2 block. So what I have actually been doing was the higher rep portion of the cycle with the conservative maxing and it has been going great so I was thinking of how I could continue the higher rep activity but still hit the intensities in the latter portion of the cycle and my thought was myo reps.

I've never programmed these before so excuse me if this is total newbsauce but here was my thoughts. Continue with the rep scheme and intensities but change the sets to something like this (each block for two weeks with progressive intensity): 3x15, 1x10+myo reps, 1x5+myo reps, 1x2+myo reps.

For the myo reps I was figuring starting with 85% of my 15rm as my activation set until I hit about an RPE 8, rest 1 min and hit 4 reps, rest and repeat until 4 reps becomes a RPE 9.5. To get some progression I was thinking I could add 5lbs once a week so that I progress throughout the cycle.

Anyways any thoughts on this would be great.

Myo reps are extremely effective for advanced lifters seeking hypertrophy using rep schemes of 8 and above. There is very little benefit in doing myo reps for 5's and less. It is better to rest a bit longer and do additional regular sets with your 5's and 2's.

Hmm, maybe I didn't explain my plan well. In the 10s, 5s and 2s I would do a single set of that. Then I would do myo reps starting with an activation set with 85% of my 15rm until I am fairly fatigued (RPE 8), I am going to guess I will probably be in the 14+ rep range for the activation set and then do sets of 4 reps with minute long rest intervals.

So for bench during the 5s it would look like:
Set 1 (regular rep set): 1x5@75-100% of 5rm
Set 2 (activation set): 1x14+@85% of 15rm
Set 3+ (my rep sets): 4 reps of 85% of 15rm w/ 1 min rest

OK. However, myo rest periods are usually in the neighborhood of 10-30 seconds. Shorter for higher reps, 20+. Longer for heavier reps, 8-12. I typically shoot for a rep range of 1/3 of my activation set. Eg, 15 reps then 4 or 5 myo sets of 5 reps each or whenever you fail to make your targeted myo reps (auto regulation). I would also consider using myo reps with 10's but since your goal appears to be more strength than hypertrophy that is a personal call.

Back