CrossFit Games 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
body.gamesMark.png

I'm really looking forward to this year's CF Games.

It's not everybody's cup of tea but the competitors are all highly motivated and incredibly powerful individuals. Some of the guys are pressing 200+lb, snatching 240+lb, C&J'ing 300+lb, deadlifting 500+lb and still able to get very respectable 5k and 10k times.

The CrossFit management are billing the Games as the quest to find the fittest man and woman on the planet. Whether or not you agree with their assessment of what qualifies as 'fit', you have to marvel at the performances of many of the competitors. If you've ever tried any of this stuff yourself you'll know what I mean.

There's drug testing at this year's Games (announced only recently) so some of the 'artificially' larger athletes from previous years may well not be competing. I suppose this is a good thing - it's certainly more fun and relevant to be able to compare one's own capabilities with those of non-juicers.

I'm most interested in the Individual competition on Saturday, July 11 for which there will be five events (to be announced on Friday 10th) and a final event on Sunday 12th.

Here's a link to the CF Games Journal which will be regularly updated before and during the event.

http://games2009.crossfit.com/

Just so you can see what level of fitness these guys are at, here's a cool vid of Josh Everett (185lb bw) doing 30 snatches with 135lb (73% of his bw). I won't say how quickly he does it. Watch and be surprised.

Josh Everett: 30 snatches x 135lb for time.

First two events for the Individual comp on Saturday have been announced: there's a 7.1 km 'all terrain' run to be followed by a deadlift event (20 bars loaded with poundages starting at 315 and increasing by 10lb up to a max of 505lb, lifting one rep every 30sec). Some of the hill-climbs in the run are really going to hurt; they're really steep.

The starting order for the deadlift event is in the reverse order of finishing for the run; so the bigger athletes will probably end up having less time to recover from the run before having to start the deadlift event. Of course, there's no way a smaller guy is going to get all 20 deadlifts anyway. Interesting.

There are still three more events for Saturday yet to be announced.

I cannot imagine competing in something like this. It really is a drastically different school of thought that pure strength training, or even Oly training. Lol - other than the kipping pullups you do, have you ever done a solid crossfit cycle?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">... have you ever done a solid crossfit cycle? </div>
Hell no, Tim!
biggrin.gif
But I do think that CF has matured into a great strength and conditioning program; there's a lot of variety in the exercises and plenty of scope for improvement across the various time domains.

At the moment, because I can't hit my weight training as I would like, I tend to do a CF metcon style workout once a week - although I don't record it in my log here. I try to beat my previous time. These kind of workouts are great to do on holiday too, especially if you can't get to a gym.

Three to five rounds for time of:

10 strict pull-ups + 10 kipping pull-ups
20 push-ups
20 sit-ups
5 hand-stand push-ups
25 ATG squats

is a pretty tough workout, especially when you are always trying to better your time.

I think if I had to get in good shape for a venture of some kind, I would do a CF workout each day for several months beforehand, along with any other more specific training.

<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 29 2009,6:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Three to five rounds for time of:

10 strict pull-ups + 10 kipping pull-ups
20 push-ups
20 sit-ups
5 hand-stand push-ups
25 ATG squats</div>
This sounds puke inducing.....

What load do you use for the squats? GEEZ! 25 squats AFTER all that upper body work, MULTIPLE TIMES THROUGH, WITH A TIME GOAL?

I gotta try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back