End of Year HST Lifting Meet

Lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had this crazy idea that it might be a bit of fun to hold an HST iMeet - a sort of virtual lifting competition at the end of the year. Nothing too serious of course. I was thinking along the lines of just the three big lifts: bench, squat and deadlift.

It would work through a web page that I would set up allowing each contestant to register for the event beforehand with their HST username and to submit a few details like and body weight, height etc. That way, contestants could be put into divisions.

Then, on the day of the iMeet, all entrants would have to attempt the three lifts just like in a real comp - except, of course, the results would rely on members being honest about their lifts. The winner of each division would be the one who amassed the highest total.

Refreshing the iMeet web page during the day of the comp would show all the results entered up to that point in time. The competition would last for 24 hours by which time all results should have been entered.

It will be a good bit of coding practice for me. I'd use PHP for the dynamic stuff and a MySQL database to hold the results and info.

So, any thoughts? Good or bad idea? What about the divisions? What would be a good way to set them up? What other rules would be needed?

Over to you folks...

This is a bodybuilding forum, not powerlifting. Neither of the "big three" powerlifts are necessary for hypertrophy, so some guys don't even do them.

And since its an e-meet, I doubt it would be very fulfilling to anyone.

Just my 2 cents...Cool idea though.

Sci: True, most folks here are training for hypertrophy but that doesn't change the fact that we all like to lift iron and occasionally challenge ourselves. Yes, some guys don't do deads, squats or bench but I expect most do if they can. I remember reading about Arnie entering powerlifting comps while he was training for BB comps; I don't think it's that unusual for bb'ers to do some powerlifting too.

Even if only a handful of people fancied a go that would make it a bit of fun. We could add in the standing press as well.

It would be possible to work out a handicap system based on Ripp's strength tables – any idea how he came up with those? Perhaps there is a formula out there? That way there could be a way to have folks in different body weight divisions compete against each other.

i agree lol its nice to push yourself once in a while and perhaps gain some motivation, when comparing you own lifts to someone elses.

unfortunatley i cant deadlift and only just manage to squat at the moment due to a back injury but i can manage the bench. we'll have to see what further responses you get in order to get the ball roling.

I think it sounds like a lot of fun, and I would participate with it.

Aside from the winner for the highest total, you could do a winner for each lift too or at least an honorable mention type thing?

Also, obviously I think gear like shirts, etc should not be allowed. I don't think any of us use them anyway, but just to be sure... I'd think we should not allow straps for the deadlift either.

If everyone had video capability, taking a video would eliminate much of the honesty factor, though I think we can trust most of the guys here.

I think this is a great idea, and I too would participate in it. You could also have people assorted by LIFT/BODYWEIGHT to see how much of their body they are lifting as well. I agree with Tot about the no straps deal as well.

Tot, I was thinking about videos yesterday, and even though I have never posted one, I think I may start a thread for everyone to post their videos...

<div>
(Lol @ May 02 2008,6:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">some guys don't do deads, squats or bench</div>
pussies...
smile.gif

I'd say a lot of rules would have to be ironed out first. I disagree with the no straps rule because I don't do deadLIFTS with my hands, but use straps due to weak grip. (or strong lifts if you see it that way) But I bench, squat and do everything else totally raw, so should all of you also go totally raw in everything too? I say allow belts, wraps and straps but no shirts or anything that actually activates the weight itself.

Quad: Anyone who uses straps should have 50lb. docked off their lift  
laugh.gif
 C'mmon big feller, you have the rest of the year to get that grip of yours to pass muster.

How about if folks use belts, wraps and/or straps it should be indicated next to the lift?

I agree with Lcars and Totz that it would be good to have results for the individual lifts independent from the combined total results. That way, those who only do one or two lifts can still take part.

Anyone who can ratify their lifts with video could have an active link to the vid on YouTube (or whatever) next to their lift results.

Keep the ideas coming.

Well, I agree with Tot that most people here can be trusted. But I still think at least the squat should be recorded. Sometimes it's hard to know if you really broke parallel or not when going for max weight. But breaking parallel should be the only requirement, how low you go after that is not so important.

What about stance width rules for squat or grip width rules for bench? Probably doesn't matter for squats, but might matter for bench.

And I think everyone needs to actually weigh their plates/bars like I have recently done, so we report true weights.

If we are going to add standing press, we might as well throw some of the other staples in. At the very least power cleans. Maybe weighted dip/chin. I think barbell row is not a good idea just because it is too difficult to quantify the results because everyone can be doing it so differently.

If we end up adding a bunch of exercises like weighted dips and chins and cleans to the selection of lifts then I think the comp might have to run for a couple of days. I don't think I would want to be trying for maxes in more than four lifts in one day.

Perhaps if each contestant was to choose up to four lifts from a list that would work. They would all have to be completed and results entered in the same day.

For weighted dips and chins would the winner be the person who lifted the most over their body weight or the most with body weight and added weight combined?

At the end of the day it's just a bit of fun. If people want to cheat then that's up to them but I think that if anyone wants to take vids of their lifts and post them for all to scrutinise that's a good way to back up a claim and get a 'lift ratified' marker next to their result.

So far, the list to choose from could be:

Bench
Squat
Deadlift
Clean
Press
Dip
Chin

This is the ONLY forum where I'd believe the claims. And this contest reminds me of a popular tv show &quot;where the points don't matter...&quot;
wink.gif

There is still the issue of a graded curve to equalize the lifts across the board; I don't think it's really possible to take into account all the factors. Perhaps percentages would be the closest, or we'd just have to refer to classes as in PL'ing.
Pullups and Dips - the biggest guys would win with total weights and BW: I'd say percentage of added weight compared to BW is the answer. That way, little Slapshot would actually outlift me, but Lol, Tot, Blue and others would compare more fairly, being the same weight class. The little guys get some advantage over bigger but at least can be compared.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 03 2008,8:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This is the ONLY forum where I'd believe the claims. And this contest reminds me of a popular tv show &quot;where the points don't matter...&quot;
wink.gif

There is still the issue of a graded curve to equalize the lifts across the board; I don't think it's really possible to take into account all the factors. Perhaps percentages would be the closest, or we'd just have to refer to classes as in PL'ing.
Pullups and Dips - the biggest guys would win with total weights and BW: I'd say percentage of added weight compared to BW is the answer. That way, little Slapshot would actually outlift me, but Lol, Tot, Blue and others would compare more fairly, being the same weight class. The little guys get some advantage over bigger but at least can be compared.</div>
i totally agree the figures always seem believable too . so when i dead lift 900lbs next week i know ill have your full support
rock.gif

<div>
(lcars @ May 03 2008,10:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">so when i dead lift 900lbs next week i know ill have your full support  
rock.gif
</div>
Dag, I thought I was doing good with 875...!
sad.gif

Ok..let me give my 2 cents. ( long post but please read)

A) It sounds like a lot of fun...GREAT idea.

B) Come up with some general rules take a week or two to tweak them and then STICK to them. Whatever the rules are belts, straps, NO belts straps etc...it will be up to us to decide if we want to get our butt in gear and compete. My point is CAN'T and want make everybody happy!

C) I would say I lite Tot idea of maybe have the best overal total in weights lifted...as well as BEST lift in every category. BENCH, SQUAT,DEADS etc...

D) I also think you need to have some but not many weight classes. Ideally you would have many weight classes but we dont have enough serious guys here IMO to feel up that many weight classes. So IMO if I were you I would do maybe 2 maybe 3 weight classes. Something along the lines of 1. Over 200 pounds. 2. Under 200 pounds...etc. Also I think pound for pound should be consider somehow.

E) I also think we could set this up as a mini virtual online (ARNOLD Classic) type 1 day show for HST community. What I mean by that is maybe you have a couple of different categories. For instance. Here are my suggestions and these are all coming off the cuff of my brain so they may need more thought behind them.

Competition #1 total weights lifted in Squat,bench,dead.

Competition #2 Best of class for squat,bench,dead. (So if someone wanted to just compete in one of the above cateogories but not all due to injury,personal preference etc..then so be it.)

Competition # 3 Some type of fitness/ bodyrecomposition challenge. Like SCI said after all this is a HYPERTROPHY forum. So maybe this would involve the best overall improvement wether its bodyfat lost or muscle mass gained. WE could use the body for life template as an example. We could host this inside a 6 to 8 week period. And announce the winner the day of the ( HST Classic) So for example if the first ever HST classic is on December 1st 2008. ON this day all of the lifts for totals and best of class would take place just like with the arnold...HOWEVER....2 months prior to the 1st BIG day of HST classic the overal Bodyrecomposition would start on October 1st...all competitors would come into the annual hst classic at there best physique showing and all results would already be sent to Lol before hand.

This is just a thought.

Lastly...if we as a community decide to do this we need to contact JV ROIG and the winner as well as runner ups and HONARABLE mentions should be award some type of AVATAR at least for a 12 month period IMO.

How does all of this sound?

Back