Ending my first HST cycle (bulk) - my impressions

leonardopm

Hi,

First place I'd like to introduce myself. I live in Brazil and 37yrs old. I had been lifting for 15+ years but in the last 4 years I stopped completely. In October past I returned to lifting and made some decent progress until December but gains started to slow down and I decided to try something new, when I found HST stuff on the web. It seemed to be a great program, with a solid scientific base and I decided to try it.

I started HST in 12/27/13 doing a 10 day SD period then went to 10RM weeks. I'm actually in the 5th week of cycle doing workouts at 5RM (negatives weren't an option for me).

I felt great all the time since I started but these last two days I'm feeling a little more tired, maybe due to the heavy loads. Some minor pains started to show up in my knees and back but despites that I got to put some extra weight in three exercises today.

I've gained 2.5 lbs since I started and I feel that could be a lot more, but unfortunately I only took the diet seriously 15 days ago after reading Totentanz eBook. I'm currently eating 3400kcals a day with a 1g of protein/lb of BW ratio. I'm 6' tall, currently weighing 196lbs at (estimated) 12-13% BF.

Comparing my current lifts to what I had before HST I added nearly 10% in almost all of them. I haven't taken measures but I'm feeling bigger than before. My plan is to bulk for the next 2 months and then cut to 9-10% BF.

Here's my routine, 3x a week:

Flat bench
Calf raise
Lat pulldown
Squat
Seated row
Military press
Romanian DL
Press JM (close-grip bench press)
Barbell curl
Crunches (with weight)

I usually do 1 working set when at 10RM and 2 sets when at 5RM. For calf raises, 2 and 3 sets.

Well, that's all for now. I'd like very much to hear your comments and critics about it.

Thanks,

Leonardo

Glad you got serious on your diet, that seems to typically be a huge sticking point for many (including myself). One question is what is the reasoning behind the order of your lifts? Also you might want to consider alternating rows/pulldowns and military/JM since they are similar enough and save your joints some recuperation (and ditch the crunches).

Overall it looks like a decent program. However, if your joints are bothering you, perhaps you should include the 15's in your workout. The more you are into aesthetics, the more important diet becomes.

Good luck!

:cool:

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a simple explanation for the order of lifts but some rules apply:

1. Lat and bench presses are antagonists so I try to do them in a triset along with calves.
2. Calf raise is done before squats, otherwise it's pretty hard to do calves with good form.
3. JM and curls are antagonists and get small muscles so they're the last ones.

About alternating exercises as you suggested I'm, by now, avoiding this as it'll lead me to work at RMs twice in a week instead once. Maybe a few months ahead I'll try this.

The crunches are done grabbing two 25lbs plates for 10 reps and they make my abs grow a lot, what gives me a good look even at higher BFs %. I tried to cut them off in the start but felt that it made a real difference so returned to them.

What changes do you suggest in the order of lifts?

Last edited:
Hi old,

In fact I already planned that. When I return from SD I'll do 15 RMs. I have a trip three weeks after my return from SD so I'll take an SD week, two weeks at 15 and another SD during the trip, returning then to 10RMs. Is this reasonable?

Keep the crunches. I do abs a couple of times per week as it really makes a difference for me. The added core strength carries over onto other exercises, for me. It also seems to keep stomach shape more in order while bulking, as you stated.

Well, got a caliper today. It has the Accu Measure trade printed on it but for what it costed I'm pretty sure it's a chinese fake. It's VERY similar to the legit one (I had one many years ago) but probably that little ball that clicks and sets the correct pressure doesn't work correctly. Tried to to my best and follow strictly the instructions from Linear-Software.Took measurements using JP3 and JP4. Both pointed to 10,76% BF. Measuring as in the "Accu Measure" instructions gave me something near 11,5%. I don't know, honestly I don't feel like that. I actually have a 4 pack abs that only shows up when flexing. The rest of my body is fairly lean, some vascularity and some separation in the pecs and triceps, that's all.If these numbers are true then I got good news and 'll be able to bulk at least for the next 4 months.

I've gained 2.5 lbs since I started and I feel that could be a lot more, but unfortunately I only took the diet seriously 15 days ago after reading Totentanz eBook.
Where can one find this book, can you point me to some link? Thanks!

Well, just a little update. I'm currently at second week of 5's, approaching the end of second cycle. Current body weight is 207lb (gained 11lb in the last 55 days). I'm controlling calories very well, going 3600 on training days and 3200 on rest days.

Got some decent size but abs are starting to get hidden. I'm a little worried, will try to measure BF to decide then if I change for a cut or bulk for some more weeks.

In case I decide for cutting I thought that Creatine would be of great help by improving training performance and reducing shrinking, what do you think?

You could keep bulking, it sounds like you are making good progress.
Creatine can be useful for cutting AFAIK, but protein is the most important factor, getting enough to prevent muscle loss while dieting.

Today I measured BF with my cheap caliper. 11,8% by JP3 and JP4 protocols. It means that I gained 1% of BF in the last 60 days. Actual LBM is ~ 182,6 lb against 174,6 lb 60 days ago. Considering the total weight gain of 11 lbs it gives me a p-ratio around 70-30. Not bad. I believe I'll keep the bulk at least for the next 45 days.

If your overall goal is gain size, I would not start a cut before I reached at least 15% BF. Constant buylking and cutting for a few % points difference will hinder your overall results unless you are at close to your genetic potential.

Mickc, I'm only tracking BW and BF%. My stats are in the earlier posts. Unfortunately I only tracked the last 80 days. I'm very close to what I was in the previous post (04/06) because I had to trip twice since then and it got me away from training (and correct diet). Anyway I consider the results very rewarding.

Thanks Old, I'd love to keep bulking till 15%, but the feeling of tight jeans is bothering me.

My initial plan was to bulk between 8-12%.

I don't fit anymore in half of my actual shirts (good!) but these last weeks it's getting hard to fit in my pants also.

I'll have a 11 day trip in late May and will take my SD on it. Depending on my condition when I return I'll decide for a cut or keeping the bulk.

If your overall goal is gain size, I would not start a cut before I reached at least 15% BF. Constant buylking and cutting for a few % points difference will hinder your overall results unless you are at close to your genetic potential.

QFT.

At some point you need to assess;

- What's your goal?

- What's the timeline for your goal?

Just about everyone how has put on substantive amounts of muscle, has done so via bulking-cutting. Skeptics/those who don't know how to manage their calories on a bulk properly will tell you that bulking means getting fat with no muscle. It doesn't. That argument is merely one presented by somebody who wasn't any good at bulking (whether training or diet, or both).

But you'll have far more success as a natural lifter using a bulking-cutting paradigm than attempting to achieve the mythical 'clean bulk'/'recomp' whereby you sit at 9-12% your entire life and keeping adding muscle without the accompanying body fat.

No doubt, Alex.

Once when I was in college, 15 years ago, I reached my best form. I accomplished that after an aggressive 6 month bulking diet. Since then I never got even close to those results until I found HST and started to bulk and cut again. It's so simple and effective that sometimes I feel like I'm going on gear...

Back