Enteric Coated Fish oil caps

Steve McDermott

I've been taking enteric coated fish oil capsules for a while now.  They are a little more expensive and the EPA and DHA content is less (I think it's 120 EPA and 150 DHA).  The bottle says that since they are enteric coated that you need less because they pass through the stomach undigested and are better absorbed in the small intestine.  Does anyone know if this is true or just marketing BS?

The one great benefit is that I get zero fish burps.  I just don't want to be short chaging myself in terms of good fats.

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Steve McDermott @ May 06 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The one great benefit is that I get zero fish burps.  I just don't want to be short chaging myself in terms of good fats.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I have found the fishy burps go away after using them for a while. I am taking 20 caps a day (to get 6 grams of EPA/DHA) and no longer experience any fish burps.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (=w= @ May 06 2002,1:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am taking 20 caps a day (to get 6 grams of EPA/DHA) ...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I thought the standard recommendation was to take 6 capsules per day for a total of about 2 grams of EPA/DHA. Where did you come up with 20? Maybe I need to start taking more?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harry Mofo @ May 06 2002,3:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">try to get 2-6 grams per day. The FDA has only approved 2 grams per day because of the ability of omega-3s to thin the blood (reduce clotting). However, if you are not at risk of bleeding abnormalities, anywhere up to 6 grams per day is beneficial. The burping WILL stop if you take them consistantly. Takes about a week for the burps to stop.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The attatched quote is from Bryan Haycok in a thread on the first page entitled &quot;How much EPA&quot;. Berardi also recomends btwn 6-10 grams per day.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (=w= @ May 07 2002,10:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Harry Mofo said:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]]try to get 2-6 grams per day. The FDA has only approved 2 grams per day because of the ability of omega-3s to thin the blood (reduce clotting). However, if you are not at risk of bleeding abnormalities, anywhere up to 6 grams per day is beneficial. The burping WILL stop if you take them consistantly. Takes about a week for the burps to stop.
<span id='postcolor'>
The attatched quote is from Bryan Haycok in a thread on the first page entitled &quot;How much EPA&quot;.  Berardi also recomends btwn 6-10 grams per day.[/quote]

If you read the quote in its origonal context, you will see he meant 6grams of FISH OIL per day, not n-3s.

Bernardi also provides no proof of the need for this level of fish oils.

The only advantage of enteric coating is the lack of burps. They are more expensive and contain less EPA/DHA.  They are not better digested or anything.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron_F @ May 06 2002,11:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you read the quote in its origonal context, you will see he meant 6grams of FISH OIL per day, not n-3s.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I went back and reread the thread in its entirety and I am not sure I agree with you. I am not saying you are wrong but I just wanted to keep this bumped so that Bryan can come in and clear the confusion for me.

Thanks

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (=w= @ May 07 2002,06:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron_F @ May 06 2002,11:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you read the quote in its origonal context, you will see he meant 6grams of FISH OIL per day, not n-3s.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I went back and reread the thread in its entirety and I am not sure I agree with you.  I am not saying you are wrong but I just wanted to keep this bumped so that Bryan can come in and clear the confusion for me.

Thanks[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Bryan ^

thanks

OK, I have to give my question 1 last chance :).

Bryan, when you gave the recomendation of up to 6grams for fish oil caps, did you mean 6 grams (as in 6 caps) or 6 grams of EPA/DHA (as in my case 20 caps)?? Please let me know because I may be spending a lot more than I need to on fish oil caps that I could be spending on other stuff.

Thank you!

Check out the Twinlab Dale Alexander Omega 3 Fish Oil. It is more cost effective. Why pay for the gelcaps. It does taste funky (mint flavored fish oil), but who cares!

Per Tabelspoon:

EPA 892-1113
DHA 613-724

I'm still looking for the best deal on CLA. If I remember correctly Tonalin is the only type to get if you want to be ensured that you are getting the right combination of isomers. The good news is that most companies appear to be using the Tonalin. A combination of omega 3 oil (not a gelcap) and CLA would be ideal. It would definately be the most cost effective way to go to get the amount needed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (=w= @ May 12 2002,07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK, I have to give my question 1 last chance :).

Bryan, when you gave the recomendation of up to 6grams for fish oil caps, did you mean 6 grams (as in 6 caps) or 6 grams of EPA/DHA (as in my case 20 caps)??  Please let me know because I may be spending a lot more than I need to on fish oil caps that I could be spending on other stuff.

Thank you![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Why not PM him?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blood&amp;Iron @ May 22 2002,4:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why not PM him?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I ended up doing that - And as it turns out I was right
tounge.gif

I'm taking the capsules from that Zone diet guy - Dr Barry Sears. They're pharmaceutical grade. Higher concentration of EPA and DHA (400mg/capsule 200mg/capsule respectively).And supposed to have have much lower concentrations of mercury, PCB's, and DDT, and lack of gastric distress. Of course they cost more, too. The liquid form is cheaper. http://www.searslabs.com

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (=w= @ May 23 2002,11:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Why not PM him?
<span id='postcolor'>
I ended up doing that - And as it turns out I was right  
tounge.gif
[/quote]
Can bryan provide referecnes for that level of supplementation.

I know that Steven Clarke, in one of his reviews was stating ~5% total energy, but there wasnt exactly a lot of support that I could find on that figure.

Most research (except some of the older n-3 and lipid levels) usually use ~6 1gm caps per day.

Back