FF's log

fearfactory

(sets/reps/pounds)

squats
1x15x225
*I thought this would be my rep max as it was a goal I have been working toward. while today's reps were hard, I can and will keep up the progression. It's been a slow crawl to this point (starting at 135 and working up in 5# increments)

DB Bench
1x15x70 -this is likely a 15 rep max.

pullups
1x4xbw (4 is the most thus far...silver lining)

Yeah, welcome back! (I already said this once but the recent hacking attack seems to have lost all my posts for the past week.)

Looking forward to seeing your numbers climb back up again. :)

Welcome back, FF! How the heck are ya?
I'm doing well. No stress or nagging injuries. Have been cooking close to 100% of my meals. I'm flexible and slowly getting stronger. Thanks for the kind words tim, I was worried no one would remember me!

Yeah, welcome back! (I already said this once...)

Looking forward to seeing your numbers climb back up again. :)

You sure did, but I didn't get a chance to reply before my thread was deleted! Thank you for the welcome and I hope things are well.

Tues 9-27

Deads
5x3x345
*the first rep was killer, but it was all downhill after that. Maybe a couple more progressions before dropping to three triples.

OHP
1x15x102
*these were probably easier than last week, my shoulders feel great. but..can't be many poundage additions left here either.

9/29

Squats
1x15x230
*the bar was not riding comfortably. I don't think my traps are used to bearing the weight. This was a distraction.

Bench
1x15x65
*I went down in weight 5# (plus the weight of handles). ... I was in a hurry and happen to have a 65# fixed DB set which saved a bit of pick up and put away time.

Last edited:
10/2

Squats
2x10x235
*bar was definitely riding better. I'm a bit worried about my form. not necessarily depth, but more hip drive coming out of the hole. I seem to be leaning slightly to the right and not completely in balance. ...feeling like a novice in general. the whole first set, I kept thinking about how hard the 2nd set would be (my mind is not in the right place at the moment).

DB Bench
2x10x75
*left wrist bothered me a bit during the first set.

Pullups
1x2xbw 1x3xbw
*my right elbow has traditionally bothered me doing these. probably because I'm fat. my elbow has been feeling no pain this time around. in fact, I felt like I could have done sets of 5, which is something I would like work towards.

the second set was easier w/ all movements.

Last edited:
10/7

Deads
5x3x355
*fairly easy to pull, though I was fatigued by the 5th set. my grip was never threatened, but I can tell I'll be having to develop my hook grip again. not looking forward to toughening my thumbs up.

OHP
1x15x107
*first 13 were nice and strict. last 2 were push press. probably psyched myself out a bit, but to be honest 192 was probably my 15 rep max.

so....I missed a workout this week, but I'm not worried about it. ideally, I'll lift three times a week and will shoot for that but am not going to stress on it.

will start tens next week (*edit, oops looks like I was doing sets of 10 on Monday)

Last edited:
Monday 10/10

Squats
2x10x240
*fairly difficult, my lower back may have (in fact, did) lose extension on a few reps: butt wink

DB Bench
2x10x80
*also difficult, came close to failure on both sets on the last rep

1 arm DB swing
3x8x35
*first time trying these

Pullups
3x3xbw

Weds 10/12

1 arm DB Swings
3x8x40
*my backside is very sore from the squats...but I think these might be part of it too. The weight is not quite heavy enough for me to really sit back into the swing, but I am encouraged and plan to continue these.

Deads
3x3x365
*my grip slipped a bit on the third rep/second set. overall, DOH is holding up well. I did try hook grip on the very last rep and my thumbs didn't feel squashed at all (I even held the bar for 3 breaths to try and toughen the thumbs a bit).

OHP
2x10x127
*not a bad effort. I widened my grip about an inch on the second set and this relieved a bit of a pinch I felt in the shoulder on the first set.

Friday 10/12

Dumbbell Swings
3x8x70
*switched to 2 hands as I was having trouble holding the dumbbell w/ one. when the bar turned, it was rough on my hand. tried gloves and nearly lost the dumbbell. 2 hands works rather well, so I'll stick with this.

Squats
1x10x245
*difficult, but not terrible. I don't know that I would have been able to complete a second set, but I was in a hurry and couldn't be bothered to find out. bar is still not riding well, I've never had this problem (that I can remember). considering going w/ front squats next time around. like front better anyway.

Bench
1x10x80

10/16 Sunday

woohoo! back on my favored Sun/Tues/Thurs schedule!!!

Swings
3x8x85

Pullups
1x5, 3x3xbw

Squats
3x5x250

DB Bench
3x5x85

Last edited:
also, I stepped on the scale yesterday. heavy shoes, jeans, t shirt and a vest. weighed in at 230.

SO... since the second week of August, I have dropped 20 pounds. this is attributal to cooking my own meals, more in an effort to save money for better bourbon than to lose weight. I cook all my meals (lunches, dinners, snacks) on the weekend (utilizing the freezer to preserve the meals) and I mainly eat a beans/rice combination. breakfast is cooked daily (oats and a banana).

a typical day would be:
breakfast: cup of oats, banana, milk
snack: bran muffin (I've cooked 40 muffins this weekend, my wife loves them)
lunch: bean/rice burrito w/ sour cream. cottage cheese on the side
dinner: red beans and rice w/ a corn muffin & butter

(Weds & Thurs dinners are usually eggplant parmesean or some other dish I made in advance and froze)

Last edited:
also, I stepped on the scale yesterday. heavy shoes, jeans, t shirt and a vest. weighed in at 230.

SO... since the second week of August, I have dropped 20 pounds. this is attributal to cooking my own meals, more in an effort to save money for better bourbon than to lose weight. I cook all my meals (lunches, dinners, snacks) on the weekend (utilizing the freezer to preserve the meals) and I mainly eat a beans/rice combination. breakfast is cooked daily (oats and a banana).

a typical day would be:
breakfast: cup of oats, banana, milk
snack: bran muffin (I've cooked 40 muffins this weekend, my wife loves them)
lunch: bean/rice burrito w/ sour cream. cottage cheese on the side
dinner: red beans and rice w/ a corn muffin & butter

(Weds & Thurs dinners are usually eggplant parmesean or some other dish I made in advance and froze)

Darn it, wait til i get a proper kitchen and i start cooking me meals XD i always eat out and its always Clean food, no junks. but yesterday i rewarded myself with a Double quarter pounder at McD :D was so YUMMYYYYYY, motivated to do HST tomorrow :)

Sunday 10/23

Squats
3x5x260
*nice and smooth

Pullups
3x3xbw

DB Bench
1x5x95
*used twine to add 2.5 plates to the DB. what a hassle. now I remember why I did barbell bench.

<I'm still affected by last week's dead session. I think I slightly sprained a minor rhomboid. if it weren't for daily yoga practice, I would never be able to keep lifting after that. I am not looking forward to tomorrow>

11/27

Time for another HST cycle. (reps/sets/weight)

DB Swings 10x3x35
Squats 15x1x135
DB OHP 8x3x35

I have a shoulder impingement and am staying away from bench (for now). Everything else is good.

Back