fish oil capsules

Crackerman

hiya,

i purchased some 1000mg odourless fish oil capsules today. The packet recommends taking 1 capsule 3 times a day with meals. This doesnt seem very much. Should i take more?

Cheers
Simon

Mine are the same per capsule, I get 6 bottles of salmon fish oil for 19 bucks, lasts about 4 or 5 months taking 4 a day.

Go to www.vitadigest.com and look up alaskan deep sea fish oil. Seems to be the best, plus it seems they filter it too, has no cholesterol which I've heard is an indication.

I take 9g. of cod liver oil every day, do u think my EFAs needs are covered or I can take more (I weight 62kg)?How much DHA and EPA are in a cod liver oil gram?

boggy,

According to the USDA nutrient database, cod liver oil contains 69 mg EPA (20:5 omega 3) per gram of oil and 110 mg of DHA (22:6 omega 3) per gram of oil. This would put your total intake at 621 mg EPA and 990 mg DHA. Since cod liver oil is very high in vitamins A and D, you would also be getting 9000 IU of vitamin A and 900 IU of vitamin D.

Here is a complete breakdown of the nutrients in a 100 gram sample:

USDA data on cod liver oil

Personally, I would not take this much cod liver oil, especially if you take a multivitamin with lots of vitamins A and D already. If you also happen to drink lots of milk, I would be very worried about vitamin D toxicity. Excess vitamin A, in addition to being toxic at high levels, has recently been linked to increased likelihood of bone fractures.

so how should I behave?
I cannot afford buying pills bcause they are too much expensive here and I cannot find purifyed cod liver oil at a decent price here in italy.
I know another EPA DHA source would be flax seed oil but it is less efficient (EPA and DHA are not free form in there) and moreover I like coffe.

Any other idea?

If I stick with cod liver oil multivitamins (Multicentrum) and drink milk how much oil should I take in to be on the safe side and still getting nutrient partitioning/insulin sensitivity benefits from it?

really thanks for your help guys
worship.gif

boggy,

In doing more research, I came across this site that contradicts the idea that 4 to 5 times the US RDA of vitamin D can be toxic. So you may actually be OK as far as vitamin D goes.

How much vitamin D?

How much vitamin A is in your multivitamin? I suspect that it's 5000 IU. If that is the case, you may be OK as far as vitamin A goes as well. I know some megavitamin supplements go as high as 10,000 IU or even 25,000 (not as common these days though). I'll see if I can find the amounts of vitamin A suspected of leading to increased risk for bone fractures in the next day or so.

I hope Aaron F jumps into this thread. He's amazingly knowledgeable on all things nutritional and supplemental. I would be very interested to hear what he has to say on the issue of safe levels of vitamin A, vitamin D, and cod liver oil as a source for omega-3 fatty acids.

Just drop the multivitamin and choose one without vitamin A. Cod liver oil is a great supplement and it's preferable to any multi vitamin. Besides, vitamins should come from vegetables and not pills, there's ton of micronutrients you're missing if you rely on multi vitamins only.

The research that showed increased risk of fracture was done in sedentary middle age women so you can't really extrapolate it will have the same effect in someone lifting weights.

One tablespoon of cod liver oil a day is fine. Possibly in summer you should reduce it to avoid vitamin D overdosing. I do at least.

first of all thanks.I really appreciate your help.

I regularly eat veggyes and fruit but while cutting I drop fruit and also a bit of veggyes, moreover my food variety drops drastically.This is why I thought that a multivitaminwould have been beneficial.
Anyway I dont know if I can find a multi without vit A but if I cant I could just take in 1/2 pill instead of 1.I just wanna be sure to get not only all vit but also all mineals(I use a multi called multicentrum,quite famous here,which contains also minerals) I may need daily.If you tell me it is worthless anyway I will drop multivitamin at all.

Also why vit D overdose is a problem only in summer?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Aug. 23 2003,5:13)]Also why vit D overdose is a problem only in summer?
Only if you have a lot of sun exposure. Your body produces vitamin D "from" the sun and apparently overdosing on it can have some negative effects. Aaron probably knows better than I do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Aug. 23 2003,12:45)]I cannot afford buying pills bcause they are too much expensive here and I cannot find purifyed cod liver oil at a decent price here in italy.
I would try buying seven seas extra strenght cod liver oil. It is relatively cheap (around 10 € for 330 ml) and has less vitamin A than normal. It is also deodorised and clean of contaminants.

I cannot find that brand here in supermarkets and I dont want to order online bcause shipping would be higher than oil cost.

Just eat fresh fish as a source of nutrients, protien and fat. :)

Simple, doesnt require any shipping and combines everything into a tasty little package.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Aug. 25 2003,2:28)]Just eat fresh fish as a source of nutrients, protien and fat. :)
Simple, doesnt require any shipping and combines everything into a tasty little package.

Sardines. They hardly have to time to get wet so there's very little contaminants in them.

orange roughy - mmm expensive but nice, NZ also has lovely shellfish (when its not algaed outta existance) and lots of freshwater fisheries (mmm rainbow trout)

Personally, I'd vote for the sardines or trout on the basis of EPA and DHA content and orange roughy or trout for flavor. 1 can (92 g) of oil packed sardines (drained) contains almost 23 g protein, 435 mg EPA, 468 DHA, 250 IU vitamin D with only 99 IU vitamin A, and lots of calcium.

Sardines

A 100 g serving of orange roughy has about 19 grams protein and virtually no EPA or DHA since EPA and DHA are generally found in higher amounts only in colder water fishes.

Orange roughy

A 100 g serving of trout, on the other hand, has about 23 g protein, 468 mg EPA, and 520 DHA per 100 g serving.

Trout

Taking both flavor and omega-3's together, trout's a definite winner.

Back