Flax Seed Oil

Adventurer007

Hello,
Been diving a lot deeper into the whole diet piece of my program. I've learned about the benefits of flax seed oil. I bought a bottle of it and dilligently mixed it into my morning protein. Needless to say it doesn't taste very good and leaves a very strong aftertaste for several hours
dozingoff.gif
. It comes from a company called Nature's Bounty.
I'm sold on the benefits. Is there a brand out there that tastes better? Or do any of you have any ideas on what else to mix with it?
Thanks in advance!

Is it "high-lignan" flax seed oil? If so that is likely the cause... they basically press the seed without removing the "dirty part" which contains the lignans and you are left with a nasty tasting product... there is no point in buying "high lignan" flax seed oil versus normal flax seed oil (normal flax seed oil, from good brands is very pure, and has a fresh/nutty flavor). Another reason not to buy "high-lignan" is that not many lignans are in there to begin with, and those that are settle to the bottom of the bottle and are not consumed. If you want lignans, buy and eat the whole flax seeds... not oil. (www.goldenflax.com) However, the seeds contain a very high amount of lignans (some even compare there antagonist ability on the ER to be not unlike nolvadex in some tissue), so keep that in mind. If you want just the O-3's then take the oil alone.

Now, with that aside, if you are already taking normal flax seed oil (not "high-lignan" flax seed oil) then it might be old/expired or gone racid if it was exposed to light or not kept cold.

I know for sure that Health From The Sun Brand flax seed oil is an excellent product and tastes fine... that is what I use and would recommend ( http://www.iherb.com/organicflax.html ). NOW brand is also a good one ( www.1fast400.com ).

I use to drink alot of flax oil and finally gave up on it. I recently switch over to ground flax seeds. I buy the whole flax seed and then use a coffee bean grinder to grind about a week or two worth and store it in the frig.

I add 1/8 cup to my protein shakes and it does not change the taste one bit.

With the ground flax seeds, you not only get the oil, you also get extra protein, fiber, and the very important lignans. The lignans have a positive effect on estrogen control in men.

BUT, you have to grind the flax seeds for your body to be able to use them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SteveDFW @ Oct. 24 2002,12:12)]I use to drink alot of flax oil and finally gave up on it. I recently switch over to ground flax seeds. I buy the whole flax seed and then use a coffee bean grinder to grind about a week or two worth and store it in the frig.
I add 1/8 cup to my protein shakes and it does not change the taste one bit.
With the ground flax seeds, you not only get the oil, you also get extra protein, fiber, and the very important lignans. The lignans have a positive effect on estrogen control in men.
BUT, you have to grind the flax seeds for your body to be able to use them.
Yes, I've heard many people tell me they do the same.. My only concern with that is the lignans, I have not been able to find any useable information to determine the strength/length of the estrogen site blocking characteristics of flax seed lignans. If they are as strong as some say, and one were to consume them consistently in sufficient quantities, then it might result in the upregulation of the ER, which would eventually be bad as the lignans would (months later?) cease to be effective in there ER antagonist ability.... Otherwise, I'd hop on the flax seed bandwagon :)

Hello Mr. Bond, (007!)
tounge.gif

I use cold pressed Flax seed oil from a company called Spectrum naturals. I find it neutral in taste, don't notice it in my protein shakes, tastes fine as a salad dressing with balsamic vinegar. It also comes in a high lignan option, but I'm not sure of the value/demerits of that. Perhaps NightOp can give us more insight. Good luck. and remember it is important to balance the omega 3 (flax seed oil) with a proper ratio of Omega 6. I believe that recommended ratio is 3:1 of Omega 6 to Omega 3. Clarification anyone?
Arcturus

[b said:
Quote[/b] (arcturus @ Oct. 24 2002,2:00)]Hello Mr. Bond, (007!)
tounge.gif

I use cold pressed Flax seed oil from a company called Spectrum naturals. I find it neutral in taste, don't notice it in my protein shakes, tastes fine as a salad dressing with balsamic vinegar. It also comes in a high lignan option, but I'm not sure of the value/demerits of that. Perhaps NightOp can give us more insight. Good luck. and remember it is important to balance the omega 3 (flax seed oil) with a proper ratio of Omega 6. I believe that recommended ratio is 3:1 of Omega 6 to Omega 3. Clarification anyone?
Arcturus
3:1 is what I've read numerous times as well ( i.e. at http://weightrainer.virtualave.net/nutrition/fats.html which is a wonderful fat article in general IMO ).

has anyone heard of udo's choice.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Udo's Choice delivers a balanced 2:1 ratio of Omega 3 to 6 EFAs. It is a unique blend of oils and nutritional co-factors that meet all of the essential fatty acid needs of your body. Formulated by Udo Erasmus and made from the oils of certified organic flax, sunflower and sesame seeds. it also contains unrefined oils from the germs of rice and oats, evening primrose oil and GMO free Lecithin. Udo's Choice has a pleasant nutty taste and adds flavour to any dish, for example: simply pour on to your pasta or rice, or add to a salad dressing.

I use Udo's with extra fish oil and GLA. If I take in more than one tablespoon, my skin dries out. Tastes great with veggies and pretty good in shakes. A female friend of mine who used it virtually eliminated her monthly cramps.

cheers,
Jules

Back