Forum Problem?

Bulldog

when I read a thread that has the yellow h|s symbol indicating a new post, and then refresh the page, the yellow symbol will remain on the thread.  The only way to get rid of them is to use the "Mark this forum as read" link at the bottom of the page.

Isn't this supposed to clear automatically after I read the thread?

This has always been this way, I just haven't said anything about it until now.

The h|s symbol marks forums (well, sub-forums), not threads. The HST forum has a few categories which contain different sub-forums, which in turn contain different topics or threads, which in turn contain different posts.

For the h|s symbol to turn to gray, you probably will have to read all new threads in that forum - all threads with new replies and all threads that have just been started. Don't ask me why, I didn't make ikonboard. For all I know, that may not even work.

If you are not OC about it, don't bother marking the forum as read. Just click the "New Posts" link and see what's up and see where you want to participate in.

Regards,
-JV

Yeah, that's what I meant JV. And no, they don't go away even if I read every new thread in the forum.

I guess I am OC about it or I wouldn't have mentioned it!
laugh.gif

I guess it is just a little annonying because It doesn't seem to work the way it should. I know this isn't your fault and I don't expect you to waste time trying to figure out what the problem is. I guess I was just wondering if it is only happening to me or if it is happening to everyone.

I find that I have to log out for the new posts to disappear. Once off the board, and logged back in, everything is renewed.

<div>
(jvroig @ Apr. 20 2008,8:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just click the "New Posts" link and see what's up and see where you want to participate in.</div>
This is how I do it and it works a lot better this way.

The thing I don't like about the "New Posts" listing is that you don't get the little icon to click on to take you to the first new post that you haven't read yet. I like that and that is why I go to the normal thread list for each forum area.

I use the new posts button and begin at the top. If I follow a thread, or like the last poster, or am just interested in the topic, I click on it.
If I don't care or don't have time I don't. Simple and fast, don't tend to miss much that way. I guess it's all in how you look at it, but I see your preference.
You should do it OUR way or you are just WRONG!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 20 2008,10:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I find that I have to log out for the new posts to disappear. Once off the board, and logged back in, everything is renewed.</div>
I'm pretty sure that's how it is supposed to work. That's also the behavior in the other forum I participate in. "New Posts" mean threads that have new posts since you last logged out. It doesn't really mean "unread" or "recent". Of course, if you read them all, log out and then back in, the forum will not mark them as "New Posts" unless a new post has been made in any one of them right after you logged out.

Like I said, I didn't make any of these
biggrin.gif
If you find the behavior doesn't exactly make sense for you, go sue Ikonboard
biggrin.gif

I know PHPBB 3.0 is a far superior product (I have recently setup a PHPBB 3.0 board for a client), but our problem is migrating all of our history. We simply can't afford to lose all the history we have (or can we? hehe kidding)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You should do it OUR way or you are just WRONG!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Abso-friggin-lutely!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Regards,
-JV

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I know PHPBB 3.0 is a far superior product (I have recently setup a PHPBB 3.0 board for a client), but our problem is migrating all of our history. We simply can't afford to lose all the history we have (or can we? hehe kidding)</div>

A lot of the history before 2006 is already lost with blank posts.

One thing you could do if you don't have a way to convert the current data over to PHPBB is keep the old Ikonboard in a read-only mode as an arcive so that it can be searched. But put up a new board for new discussions.

I thought a couple years ago when I was doing some SMF and PHPBB forum installs I thought I saw some coversion tools for Ikonboard to most of the other board formats including SMF and PHPBB. But it sounds like you have looked and came up with nothing?

Personally, I really like the SMF software... and I'm pretty sure I saw a converter though it may have been a convoluted process. In some cases, you have to convert to another forum and then convert that one to SMF.

PHPBB is okay too, but their code is harder for me to figure out when I need to modify some function of the board. The nice thing about SMF is that there is very little that I need to change as it has tons upon tons of options. But when I do, their code is a lot easier to read.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 20 2008,8:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I use the new posts button and begin at the top. If I follow a thread, or like the last poster, or am just interested in the topic, I click on it.
If I don't care or don't have time I don't. Simple and fast, don't tend to miss much that way.</div>
Me, too. 'Cept I start at the bottom...

Haven't heard anything from Bryan, so probably no plans for anything.

What I'm working on is implementing Re-Captcha, so that our ikonboard forum can have a captcha implementation without relying on perl mod Image::Magick because our hosting (1&1) really can't provide that perl module.

You won't notice it at all, except that Bryan and I won't have to manually approve the registrations anymore - back to the good old days, so to speak.

That's about it, though.

JV said:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You won't notice it at all, except that Bryan and I won't have to manually approve the registrations anymore - back to the good old days, so to speak.</div>

That's always a good thing... it's been about a year or so of these manual approvals for the registration process.
rock.gif

Back