Further question re first cycle and embarssingly low starting wight for 15's

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by Nosaj, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Nosaj

Nosaj New Member

I hope someone can put my mind at rest / allay my fears.

I have worked out my training plan, diet and have found all my maxes I will post a training log separately in due course.

I am now back tracking from my maxes and working out my start weights for the 15's. I am doing an A and B workout so that I can accomodate both squats and deads and I have followed the logic that where there is a major compound exercise/or the weight is heavy (my definition but probably not for you guys) such as the Squats/deads/BB row/Bench/BB Row/Shrug/Calf Raise I will deduct 5 kg (11 lbs) from my max and work back that way. Where there is more of an isloation exercise or if a compound and my weight is light I will deduct 2.5kg (5lbs)

This is my problem my OHP is embarassingly weak (in my defence I had a fractured elbow earlier in the year and have had a back problem (prolapsed disc) in the past and this is really the first time I have ever performed this particular exercise) anyway I really struggle on this, my max for the 15's is 15kg (and for the 5's its only 25kg) deducting 2.5 kg (5 lbs) and working back my start weight for the OHP for 15's is 3kg!!!!

I have also had some strange maxes come out. My standing calf raise maxes are higher than my deadlifts and squats and my Shrugs seem in line with my deads. Is this normal? and will it adversly effect my progress starting so low on the OHP?

Despite lifting like one I am sure I am not an eight year old girl.

2. Kitavan

Kitavan New Member

Well at least you didn't get a minus figure. Work out the OHP progression as percentages. As the HST pdf says: Generally 'go from between 75 to 100% of your max in two week cycles.' I.e.
    Session 1= 75% of 15 kg is 11.25 kg, 2= 80% is 12 kg, 3 = 85% is 12.75, 4 = 90% is 13.5, 5 = 95% is 14.25, 6= 100% is 15 kg.
    Obviously, you round the weight to whatever plates/fixed barbells you have in the gym.
    10kg, 10 kg again, 12.5kg, 12.5 kg perhaps twice more, 15 kg. You can use the same weight twice.

No it doesn't surprise me standing calf raise is higher than you deadlift, plenty of guys use over a thousand pounds for reps with the former.

How's your back (prolapsed disc) these days? Because I've a long torso and had a few back problems I prefer Alt. D/B Press which causes a more lateral tilt to the spine as you rep from side to side.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. grunt11

grunt11 New Member

I can’t say if it’s normal but since I started my BB Shrugs and Calf Raises have been higher than my Squat and Deadlift, though over time I am narrowing the gap.

On some exercises especially very light one like Lateral Raises you may not be able to drop down to 70% and still have any meaningful weight. In cases like that I usually start at a higher weight. To make up for daily progression I may only increment the weight once a week or sometimes every other workout. RBE won’t kick in in just one or two workouts especially as you get closer to your max so don’t worry about it if you can only increment once a week as long as you are progressing.

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if your Deads ever came near your Calf Raises, if you were training each of them in the same manner. Before I stopped doing them, I was clearing well past 300kgs on calves.

5. Nosaj

Nosaj New Member

Many thanks all for the great advice

Kitavan - my back is more or less back to normal now. I get tweaks every now and then but mainly from mundane things like sitiing at a desk all day or twisting. Squats and deads tend to alleviate it though.