HIIT training with HST?

Jens

Hi!

I have been reading a lot about HIIT training.
High intensity interval training.
A brief 15 min workout consisting of intervals will increase growth hormone levels, testosterone levels, and fat burning
processes will start. And all of this without increasing catabolic levels, cortisol, like longer cardio workout (20 min+) will do!
In a study people who did this kind of interval training dropped their bodyfat 5% without altering their food intake.
I want to build more muscles with HST, and lose fat with HIIT.
Because of all the benefits of HIIT, testosterone, growth hormone etc. I think HIIT can actually aid in building muscles.
The best example I can possibly think of right now is to look at the sprinters in the olympics like Maurice Greene and all of those buff guys, and compare them to the long distance runners.
I read in a study that it is the hormone benefits of interval training that makes sprinters able to combine well developed muscle mass with low bodyfat.

I am planning on doing HIIT two-three times per week. 15 min.
As long as I keep up my food intake and protein intake, I think this may work!

Should definitely help you drop some bodyfat, or at least keep it in check when trying to bulk up a bit.

Hi Biz!

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I did one session of HIIT earlier today, I only did ten minutes! After that I was so exhausted I had to lay down in the middle of the track. :)
My mouth tasted blood! It was very tough.
But that´s how I like it! :)

hey Biz (or anyone),

is there much of a difference (hormonally, fat-burning, muscle-building-wise) between either just eating eating less (while bulking) and doing no cardio OR just eating a TON and doing HIIT or other cardio to burn the extra calories?

Lets say you need 3500 kcal to bulk... does it matter if you just take in 3500 kcal, or if you take in 4000 and burn 500 doing HIIT or other cardio?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]is there much of a difference (hormonally, fat-burning, muscle-building-wise) between either just eating eating less (while bulking) and doing no cardio OR just eating a TON and doing HIIT or other cardio to burn the extra calories?

Yup. Studies show that you burn more visceral fat (the one you want to burn) with the latter example than the former (which burns more subcateneous fat.) HIIT has a muscle sparing effect as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am planning on doing HIIT two-three times per week. 15 min.

On HST, it's best to start HIIT fairly low in order to avoid RBE. If you're targetting eventually for 15 min, you start with say 5 minutes. Also you choose a machine (or swimming) that works the full-body (avoid bikes unless you plan to delay HIIT until the end of 10s) and preferably with a limited range of motion. If you want to do HIIT sprint, wait until the middle of 10s.

I recommend something like a Versaclimber. Arguably the most evil cardio machine in the world, AND it doesn't overwork the quads.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]is there much of a difference (hormonally, fat-burning, muscle-building-wise) between either just eating eating less (while bulking) and doing no cardio OR just eating a TON and doing HIIT or other cardio to burn the extra calories?
Yup. Studies show that you burn more visceral fat (the one you want to burn) with the latter example than the former (which burns more subcateneous fat.) HIIT has a muscle sparing effect as well.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am planning on doing HIIT two-three times per week. 15 min.
On HST, it's best to start HIIT fairly low in order to avoid RBE. If you're targetting eventually for 15 min, you start with say 5 minutes. Also you choose a machine (or swimming) that works the full-body (avoid bikes unless you plan to delay HIIT until the end of 10s) and preferably with a limited range of motion. If you want to do HIIT sprint, wait until the middle of 10s.
I recommend something like a Versaclimber. Arguably the most evil cardio machine in the world, AND it doesn't overwork the quads.
cheers,
Jules

I thought the fat we wanted to burn was sub-q fat. Isn't that the kind that is covering my stomach?

Hi!

How can I reach repeated bout effect from sprinting?
I understand that the legs are getting a lot of work, but that doesn´t concern me, because my legs are already way ahead of the rest of the body.
Will any other muscles suffer from RBE because of HIIT sprinting?
Running doesn´t work any other muscles than the legs, so I won´t reach RBE sooner with my upperbody, right?
I do understand that the bike is a bad choice, becuase of the quad work, but running must be better?

usually hiit is best done in the morning before bf

what if the only time you could do cardio is after your hst workout in the evening? would then a moderate cardio session get the score?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do understand that the bike is a bad choice, becuase of the quad work, but running must be better?

If legs aren't a big priority, then by all means start sprinting. I'd still work up slowly to 15 minutes, though. Understand that lifting the big movements, by virtue of it being anaerobic exercise, is a form of HIIT too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Will any other muscles suffer from RBE because of HIIT sprinting?

Perhaps abs. Rest of non-leg parts would have minor effect. Sure don't have a Versaclimber around? ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]usually hiit is best done in the morning before bf

Actually I kind of feel HIIT (or cardio in general) on an empty stomach isn't really a good thing. Of course, you still want to do cardio as early as possible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what if the only time you could do cardio is after your hst workout in the evening? would then a moderate cardio session get the score?

I think a moderate cardio session would be more effective. After all, you're going to sleep only a few hours after it.

cheers,
Jules

If one has the choice either 15minutes HIIT or 30minutes at 60% ? I have been doing 30minutes at 60% taking Bryans advice. From my take it seemed the HIIT burned much more calories, which is good, but there was an issue with losing muscle .

Hi!

Thanks vicious! Great reply!
Yeah, you´re right about the big exercises.
Squats and deadlifts are really, really exhausting. :)

What does the deadlift train?
Of course the back, especially lower back.
But what other muscles are hit? Some legs too obviously.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]From my take it seemed the HIIT burned much more calories, which is good, but there was an issue with losing muscle .

It's actually the other way around. Regular cardio burns more calories initially and is more likely to burn muscle. HIIT stimulates metabolism and lipogenesis(?) much better and can stimulate some muscle growth, but it burns less calories initially. HIIT improves glycogen upload, nutrient absorption, overall releases less cortisol, and improves one's endurance during repeated bouts of tantric love making. However, it also pushes up RBE and can be hell on a keto diet or CKD.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What does the deadlift train?
Of course the back, especially lower back.
But what other muscles are hit? Some legs too obviously.

Extremely underappreciated as an arms exercise. Extremely underrated as an abs exercise. Traps, biceps, some part of the delts, middle back, forearms, grip strength, abs, facial muscles, hair muscles, teeth muscles, zit muscles. . . Stiff-leg also works hams, calves and helps you freak-a-leak. ;) The deadlizzle is da shizzle fo' yo bizzle. Learn the over-under grip and alternate between sessions.

cheers,
Jules

in case accidental extended cardio, ie. basketball games, car broken down in the middle of nowhere etc., does anything help prevent muscle breakdown? Protein, carbs, both?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Jan. 06 2005,10:39)]HIIT stimulates metabolism and lipogenesis(?)
I hope not, that kind of defeats the object!
crazy.gif

Would be much better if it stimulated lipolysis! ;)

Doh!! Uhm . . . I'm not a smart man, but I know what HIIT is.
tounge.gif
HIIT burn fat. HIIT make you Brad Pitt skinny!!! HIIT good!! :D

cheers,
Jules

I'd also like to know the answer to BoSox's question. If there is an unavoidable form of cardio, how should one compensate and prevent muscle loss?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If there is an unavoidable form of cardio, how should one compensate and prevent muscle loss?

Any form of significant exercise will cause a rise in protein synthesis. Just compensate with food, mostly carbs to refuel glycogen, then a steady increase in protein. Continuous cardio beyond an hour (i.e. cross country) is a different issue.

cheers,
Jules

Back