How do you preform the HST cycle?

Starting Thursday I'm going to try weekly cycling with 15-10-5.

First two cycles:
2 weeks of 15 reps, 2 weeks of 10 reps, 2 weeks of 5 reps.
No extended two weeks of negatives or 5RMs due to strains and small pains. Each macrocycles lasted therefor 6 weeks, excluding deconditioning.

Cycle three and four:
In cycle 3 i experimented with 2 weeks of 15 reps ( again 6 workouts), followed by a 4 week period including 12 workouts, where i decreased the reps as follows:
first i increased the load of the 15 RM workout in week 2
then:
2 workouts 10 reps, then increased the load again
2 workouts 9 reps, increased the load
2 workouts 8 reps, increased the load
2 workouts 7 reps,increased the load
2 workouts 6 reps, increased the load
2 workouts 5 reps, last workout set new 5 RMS

Reasoning behind upping the load every other workout was thet in that way i was able to more evenly spread the loadincreases throughout the macrocycle.
Also i hoped to postpone the strains and pains i had during the final two weeks of the first 2 cycles.
That way it might be possible for me to gradually come to a point wher i dont have those starins by the end of week 6 , and i could start to continue the final 2 weeks of 5 RMs (r maybe even negatives.)
So far it worked. Strains are much less or even nonexistent.

Still i chose to keep away from the final two weeks, and call it a quit after week 6, because in each cycle so far, LBM gains have been very well even without this injuryrisky phase of the cycle.

By the way, the same reasoning i apply to the loads themselves.
I mean, every time when reaching the last workout of week 6 ( the (new)5RM workout) i dont explore new strenght limits in any following workouts. As long as hypertrophy has occurred already (and it most likely will have)
i use the new strenghtsurplus in the next macrocyle instead.

Just by upping the loads 5lbs-10lbs (smaller bodyparts) or 10-20lbs ( bigger bodyparts) for corresponding workouts in the next cycle.

bye
andré

I just do a two week cycle. The reps I use for each exercise are however many reps I can do with 80% of my 1RM in that exercise (average of 5 reps). My goal weight for each exercise is 110% my max from last cycle. I start with 50% of that goal, and increase weights 10% each workout, until I'm doing 100% of that goal on the final day.

I like the brief cycles. A lot. Do they work? Absolutely! Are they optimal? Honestly, I don't care. There's always an SD right around the corner to look forward to, which really helps motivate me through those two weeks of lifting. I'm not the kind of guy who savors time in the gym--I'd much rather be out with my fiancee, or playing games, or sleeping. And when I'm in the gym, my favorite thing to do is test how much stronger I'm getting. I get to do that every couple of weeks, which keeps me motivated during the cycle, and motivates me to do more cycles. Without that quick gratification, it'd be a lot harder to drag my carcass back into the gym after SD.

It's optimal in that it works, and I'll actually keep doing it. That's just me. YMMV.

I decided I liked the idea of gradually decreasing the reps as the weights come up. Originally I'd planned to use a linear scheme, 20, 19, 18 etc. Just after completing my first workout, I found a rep scheme posted by edziu based in his own strength curve. 18 sounded better than 19
happy.gif
and following a strength curve made more sense intuitively than following a straight line.

This plan keeps you closer to maxes throughout the program. I've never been an HIT-er so actually hitting maxes isn't so much of an issue. I never felt overtrained and after that first week really looked forward to each workout (20's are hard to love...) It worked out almost perfectly and I'm using the same plan for this cycle... 20's and 18's done so far
thumbs-up.gif

Here's what the rep scheme looks like:
20 18 16
14 12 11
10 9 8
8 8 8
7 6 6
6 5 5
5 5 5

The major change for this cycle, drop the lateral delt work and add in calves, and alternate deads and squats to keep my lower back happy.

Workout #1 Squats X 2
Glute press X 2
Calf raise X 1
Close grip pulldowns X 2
Hammerstrength incline press X 2
Military press X 1
EZBar curl X 1
EZbar nose crushers X 1

Workout #2 Deads X 2
Leg press X 2
(the rest is the same)

Increment for squats, deads, pulldowns and presses is five pounds, 15 for the leg press and 2.5 for the assist lifts.
I'll train EOD first two weeks (the high rep stuff IS recovery work), do a weeekly schedule for two weeks so I can do a maintenance type workout, and split into two-a-days for the fives.

I switch things around a bit for the negatives... bodyweight is 3 rep max for chins and 6 or 7 for dips so I drop pulldowns and presses and do these instead. I'll probably stick with squats instead of negs and work on bringing up the poundage now that I'm happy with my form revisions, and add in ext and curls for negs since I can do them one-legged and self-spot, same for one arm french press and one arm preacher curl.

Two sets of 16 squats today
crazy.gif
and the hard part is done!

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

kate careful with negative leg curls....put a massive amount of what felt like sheering force on my knee.....dropped them after one workout. not worth the risk, negative leg extensions are just fine though, actually made my knees feel better
laugh.gif

neg leg curl
crazy.gif
total junk.

My first cycle was the regular 15's, 10's, 5's, 2 wks each, then my sd. My poundage increase was 10lbs each w/o.
For my 2nd cycle, I changed it around a bit. I'm still doing the 15, 10, 5's, but now I've broken it up into 2 w/o. Here's how it looks.
day 1. (2 sets each)
squat
shrugs
barbl rows
std rows
bb curls
day 2 (2 sets each)
incln bp
flt dp
dl
millitary prs
cls grp prs
basically, during my 2 wk cycle, everything gets works 3 times, instead of 6. My poundage increase is @ 20lbs each w/o.

Anybody else doing something like this?

musclebobbuffpants

I still do mine with 15,15,10,10,5,5 and then negatives on the things I can and 5RM on the things I can't do negs. It has worked well for me up to now, so I plan on continuing like this until it fails me.

Steve

I do the normal 15-15-10-10-5-5 because it's easy to plan and easier to "refocus." When I switch the ranges, my mindset for my reps has to change, and it takes a few workouts to "adjust."

A true linear cycle is probably the best way to go, provided you can finish your reps per session. You could plan it so that every session, you would train one rep short of "fresh state" failure. But, I think the stimulus / fatigue tradeoff is different for everybody. I'd rather up frequency (and elevate daily levels) than inch out another rep or three.

Actually, Willie, I think negative leg extensions may be more dangerous than negative leg curls. Most machines are designed so that you are weakest during maximal contraction. In my opinion, somebody can do negative leg curls with their 5RM load, provided that they work to maximal contraction and hold it there for about a second.

Negative leg extensions make me a little nervous honestly. During my last cycle, I let my leg "twitch" at the top, and that stayed for a few days.

cheers,
Jules

Hi, guys! I'm considering dropping the negs on both ext and curls for legs. I really don't like either exercise which is why they're not part of my first six weeks. One-legged negs DO make my joints feel more vulnerable, although I haven't had any serious complaints (yet). Just read Bryan's workout which he was generous enough to post for us here... he does the ext and curls but apparently not for negs.

Good advice, willie and jules. I have five weeks before negs, so I'll give it some more thought.
worship.gif

Huger and huger (and grateful for my friends),
Kate

Sounds like a wise decision, Kate... not doing them at higher reps and then only do them for negatives sounds very dangerous indeed!

Current cycle:

5 + drop sets
5 + drop sets

It was only going to be a 4 week cycle but I am so pleased with it that I am extending it for 2 more weeks.

hey old&grey whatathink
mine is similar to yours but i was thinking replacing the drop sets on the compounds (Squat, Bench & deadlift) with 3 reps this cycle. So it would be 15,15,10,10,5,5,3,3

old and grey - did you find any advantage of 1 week of 15s and 10s rather than 2? i'm going to do 1 week of 15s this cycle because 2 weeks for me is too much light weight
laugh.gif

Skinny, the reason I only did 1 week of 15's and 10's was that I was working out 5 days per week. Therefore, I was able to use the progressions I would normally do in a two week, 3 times per week schedule.

Back