How far do you go down on SL Dead Lift?

cwc73

I have heard people say stop on the toes, go past the toes (both require the block), and I have heard some say to go mid-shin.

The mid shin is the only one I have heard a reason for. Whoever said that if you go past mid shin you are just using your back.

So what is it guys? And Gals?

If i want to keep good posture with straight back i will not go below 90 degrees between legs and back. With that angle bar is somewhere in the mid-shin.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tcup @ Feb. 28 2005,2:09)]If i want to keep good posture with straight back i will not go below 90 degrees between legs and back. With that angle bar is somewhere in the mid-shin.
I agree with this. Much below that level and you'll be recruiting the back into the movement. That said, you want to go far enough that you feel a good stretch in the hammy and allow them to do the work getting the weight back up.

I've got another question. I'm in the AFROTC, and I go to Field Training next summer. We'll be constantly at the position of attention, so I was wondering if going down below 90 degrees would strengthen my lower back. Would it be advantagous to go lower in this case, or will it be detrimental to my posture?

Thanks for the replies.

Back