How Much Omega 3?

Avi1985

I bought Fish oil. On each capsule there is one gram of omega 3. In the instructions it wrotes to take 1-3 capsules per day. But it sounds like its not enough. So how many capsules do you think i supposed to take?
By the way im 1.78 Meter And my weight is 72Kls (158lbs).

Apologies for stating the obvious, but depends how strong the capsules are and on what you eat. I take one capsule with c. 580mg EPA and 80mg DHA each day, and eat fish pretty regularly.

Im not eating fish ( exept a tona in salt water before i go to bad). And each capsule contains 180 mg of EPA, and 120 mg of DHA.

For the capsules you listed, take about six a day. A little more or a little less won't kill you though. Taking them all at once is probably a bad idea unless you like belching up fish stench.

How much omega 6 fats are you eating? - you're taking a fair amount of omega 3 fats if you take 6 pills per day, so unless you're eating a lot of omega 6 fats you ought to be OK...

Don't you like eating fish - oily fish (though not really canned tuna) is an excellent source of omega 3 fats. Things like tinned sardines are nice and easy. Or maybe you could cut down your omega 6 intake, if you're eating a load of that?

6 capsules of omega 3 = 6 grams of omega 3. No matter how much omega 6 i eat, i still dont have enough omega 3. When you make a fish the omega 3 value goes down. So im looking for an oil.

I take 6 per day, 2 with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Your Omega6, Omega3 ratio should be 1:1. The average American has a 17:1 ratio (so I've read). Chances are, you aren't overdoing it with 6 grams per day.

My understanding was that the ratio shouldn't be more than about 4:1 Omega 6 to Omega 3 - so the average US diet does include way too much omega 6 (though it's worth remembering that that's because the average American eats a lot of processed and fried junk - so if people are already concerned about their diet they may be eating less omega 3).

In terms of other omega 3 sources - walnuts are good, but they have slightly more omega 3 than omega 6 fats. Aside from that, you're basically looking at fish and fish oil supplements. Cooking fish can destroy some of its omega 3 content but (as long as you're not cooking it to v high temperature - e.g. deep frying) oily fish are still a good source of omega 3. There's also uncooked fish - sushi, pickled fish, cured fish, etc. Or you could take more fish oil.

Folks probably already know this - but if you're planning on taking lots of omega 3 fats it may be worth discussing with/mentioning to your Dr. These thin the blood - normally a good thing, but can cause problems with bleeding and bruising, and may increase the risks of certain types of strokes and heart attacks and interact with some medications.

Are there any good (blinded RCT?) studies showing the benefits of consuming large amounts of omega 3 fats? The only studies I've seen on large doses have been re. mental health problems. I know that eating some omega 3 is good for you, but bodybuilders often take shedloads of the stuff...

I know one thing for sure. The ratio beetwen Omega 6 and Omega 3 should be 1:1. 6 Capsules of fish oil won`t do the job. so maybe i should eat more fish. What do you think about smoked salamon?

How can you be so sure that the ratio should be 1:1?  Studies and recommendations appear to recommend anywhere from that to 6:1.  As far as I can tell, the earlier comment about 4:1 actually looks closer to the consensus -- but I will be the first to say I am no expert on this.

Re. smoked salmon - it's fine to eat sometimes, but I wouldn't make it a major part of your diet. Its got quite a bit of salt in and eating lots of smoked foods may be linked to an increased risk of cancer, as may eating lots of farmed salmon (though both links to cancer are far from certain). If you're looking for a fish to eat lots of, I'd therefore look elsewhere.

Again, I'm far from an expert in this. I looked into the 'correct' ratios of omega 3/6 a while back, and the consensus does seem to be more like 3 or 4 to 1 omega 3 to 6. This is a summary of some of the research - http://content.karger.com/Produkt....789.pdf
Which article was it that gave a 1:1 ratio as the goal? THere's some evidence that this may have been what 'primitive' man ate.

Personally, I've heard 2:1, but I don't think it matters too much, Bryan recommends getting 3-4 grammes a day, thats at least 10 capsules! ) if thats your only source)
wow.gif

From your article : "The optimal range of the ratio of omega–6/omega–3 varies from 1/1 to 4/1
depending on the disease under consideration"
So i was right, ratio 1:1 is good. 1:4 is good 2, but im not even in the 1:4 area.
And the article i`ve read is in hebruw so you wont undertsand.

''each capsule contains 180 mg of EPA, and 120 mg of DHA.''

Just to clarify, bryan says

If you are looking just to get pure omega-3s (EPA & DHA), plan to get 3-4 grams per day

this means at least 10 capsules, hope this clears this up for you
wink.gif

Back