hsn alternatives

Crackerman

Hi all,

im not really in the financial position to be purchasing two seperate protein powders for pre and post workout. Plus the fact to my knowledge primer and driver are not available in australia, so i would therefore have to factor in the cost of shipping as well.

Is there one product that will do both jobs?

If i didnt take a pre or post workout supplement would i really be hindering any potential progress?

How does egg white powder rate as a protein source?

Cheers

Dear Crackerman,

I can well understand your predictament as to the stringency of Australian Customs. Their clamp-down on what they would classify as hormones (including pro-hormones) and any and all agricultural and dairy-related produce tends to frustrate any personal importation of the said products.

In lieu of such circumstances, there are whey protein isolate (WPI) powders available in Australia which are of good quality. Do read labels carefully, because some brands are known to include creatine, HMB and several other things in their protein count. This is of course, wrong.

WPIs being fast-proteins are good for pre-workout nutrition. Post-workout, you can have yet more WPI mixed with egg white powder. I will not say that it is totally detrimental if one were to exclude the pre and post workout protein drink but I can safely say that if one were to do so then one would be short-changing oneself in terms of muscle growth potential due to sub-maximal nutrient delivery during these critical moments. As mentioned elsewhere on the HST website, there is good reason for taking a fast protein 15 minutes prior to working out, and also good reason for taking a slower protein immediately after working out.

www.vitaminzone.com.au provides expeditious service and the best prices by far. You might wish to visit this site and perhaps, if you request HSN products, they just might be able to help you. Failing which they should be able to provide WPI by various brands at the best prices too. Try them and see.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Also you can do both pre and post w/o with whey,just take whey about 15 20 mins before, whey again right after and eat a solid meal(meat/eggs/dairy...) about 30 mins after.

No, any whey powder will do. I use GNC brand its cheaper but not so cheap it tastes bad, the chocolate tastes great actually. There's plenty of websites selling all brands of protein out there for pretty dang cheap tho. If you're willing to gag down some of that stuff.

Pre/post workout drink are muy importante. Dont neglect those. If you have no other choice eat a good protein source an hour before and just after you work out. You might not get the same benefits of a quickly digested protein whey shake but its better than nothing.

Good call... I myself buy HSN driver but eschew the primer. The market is flooded with cheap and effective whey, of which optimum nutrition's is my favorite. But there's definitely a lack of casein-based "slow" protein.

Optimum makes an egg protein supplement...might be worth looking into.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ Aug. 07 2003,3:03)]Good call... I myself buy HSN driver but eschew the primer. The market is flooded with cheap and effective whey, of which optimum nutrition's is my favorite. But there's definitely a lack of casein-based "slow" protein.
Optimum makes an egg protein supplement...might be worth looking into.
Would ON's whey (100% whey, I think it's called) be considered a "fast" protein? I thought of it as being a slow(er) one. I am using it as a normal protein supp & was planning to use it post-WO when my Driver is gone.

Whey is generally pretty fast. I can be made faster if it's "instantized," and other stuff. Even the slowest whey ever is pretty fast, has to do with the protein structure.

Back