HST and Ripptoe's Practical Programming

nipponbiki

I have just finished reading Practical Programming. But now I am confused whether to try that methodology or continue doing HST-style cycles.

Those of you who have read it and are more focused on strength, have you changed anything about your programming?

Since I am coming back from a layoff after a successful 3 weeks of Lyle's PSMF diet, I am seriously just considering starting the novice program and go until it stops working just as the book said.

However, I am still very curious what all of you think about HST after reading Practical Programming, for all levels as described in Practical Programming.

that's a broad question, but PP is more geared toward strength (as opposed to size) as you said.  I am back to HST after doing the TX method from PP followed by Madcow, but mostly for variety's sake.  I preferred Madcow just b/c you can use heavier wieghts when ramping than in sets across.  I also thought the intermediate chapter (where most of us are) could have used many more examples of routines  

a good rule of thumb when coming back from a layoff is to begin 1 level lower than your last experience level, so go ahead & start of the beginner routine & when you stall on that move on.  I wouldn't say I've changed too much since reading PP. I enjoyed it & have been meaning to read it again after I read Gordon Lavelle's Training for Mass.  yep, I love to read
laugh.gif

I took what I needed from Ripp's PP and incorporated it into my HST style workouts. I think it's a good reference but I am still making good gains each cycle using 15s, 10s and 5s (and 3s) as the basis for my load progression. A bit of zig-zag can help with fatigue management as can dropping to 3s at the end of 5s. I keep my lifts simple; my routine is very similar to some of those discussed in PP.

Like all training knowledge gained, add it to what you know already and see how it fits in with your goals. Then use what you find works best for you.

Rippetoe is a good strength coach, but he doesn't know very much about the science of hypertrophy. So if your goals are purely performance related, then his advice is really good. He offers poor advice concerning hypertrophy and doesn't care at all about bodybuilding though.
laugh.gif

Hey Sci,

Yeah, honestly, I am becoming more and more focused on strength gains with as little hypertrophy as possible, at least for the main lifts such as squats, deads, any of the Olympic lifts.

I really don't need any more leg/ass hypertrophy until my upper body catches up. Where I need it the most is arms and chest.

I know you have done tons and tons of reading and have experimented with a few different methods. Could you give some more specific information on your previous statement?

I am currently having success with a Bill Starr 5x5. Training the big three, 3x/week with a heavy/light/medium setup. One thing that is really similar is the 'Texas Method' outlined in practical programming. I would suggest trying that.

Back