HST Ebook

Totentanz

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I wrote up a little 60-some page primer on HST and am going to release it as an ebook relatively soon. Obviously for free, since I don't own HST or anything. Don't be expecting me to be talking all about the science or anything. It's strictly to explain what HST is in relatively basic terms, including how to set up an HST cycle, lift selection, sample HST cycles for beginners through intermediates and advanced trainees, eating for size and cutting on HST. This one is my own interpretation of HST as I understand it, no studies cited or anything like that, so it is possible that some small bits may not fully jive with everything Bryan has always said (lift selection is possibly one area that might differ...)

I know there is already an HST faq book out there but it is a little more difficult to wade through all that information, since it is simply 100+ pages of copy and pasted forum posts, faq entries and interviews. Further, I really wanted to put in variations for more advanced trainees and get the bulking/cutting stuff squared away so there is less room for error with newcomers. I did not include any of the tweaks from the Pimp my HST ebook, this is strictly HST as I see it, boiled down as simple as I could make it, hopefully making it more accessible to newcomers. I think a big part of HST that scares away newbies is how complex it seems at first. We see evidence of this in all the threads from new people who don't fully understand progressive load and instead spend two weeks lifting their 15 RM, two weeks lifting their 10 RM followed by two weeks of their 5 RM. It is clear that we need more than just a short article on t-nation and bodybuilding.com to get people to understand HST.

Anyway, once I'm done with the proofreading and such, I'll post it up. I still wish that Bryan had the time and inclination to write an official HST book, as I think the system as a whole has kind of faded from public eye quite a bit. We need to revive HST. I remember the golden days of this forum when there were a good several dozen regulars posting constantly, all the talking about science, figuring things out, etc. It was a great time and I learned a lot back then. Not sure if there is a convenient way for me to get this little pamphlet out there for people to find, but I'll look into that once I'm finished polishing it up.

Tot'z, you give so much back to this community in your regular, plain-speaking forum posts. And now you've taken the time and trouble to produce an HST Ebook/TrainingManual!! This is just what many folks new to HST, or training in general, are looking for. I'm sure Bryan will approve; it can only help encourage interest in HST as a solid foundation on which to build productive training programs.

Major props!

Thanks guys. I'll probably post it up here for some critique before I make it official.

Don't be expecting anything groundbreaking though. It's just basic stuff. Hopefully it serves the purpose I intend for it.

I look forward to it! Thanks for taking the time to share your insights.

Have been following your posts since I joined this forum. Will definitely read the ebook. Thanks for the time you take in sharing your knowledge and opinions.

Looking forward to reading it. Have been following your posts since I started HST a couple years ago and really appreciate your insight.

Thank you all for the support. Should have a rough draft up here for critique soon. Just need to add some example meal plans. I was considering putting in some pictures of myself and other members here but that seems like it might be a pain.

Basically just compiling all the pictures (they would have to have before and afters, preferrably progress throughout) would be time consuming, and I'm not sure how many people would want to share. I have a set of progress pictures in a crappy collage that I will have to make into a better format which will work.

I'm certainly willing to take contributions anyone wants to put forth for this though. Seems like pictures in the books are pretty important to most readers.

Also really looking forward to this. A buddy of mine is passively interested in HST (he's been doing SL5x5 for a while now) and having an easily digestible treatment of the principles and application would be awesome.

Another small update. I have sent copies to a few people who are going over it and criticizing/proofreading, so should be ready soon. Final page count is 70 pages so a little longer than I had planned originally but hopefully still short enough for the average gym rat to read through without getting bored prior to finishing.

Really looking forward to reading it! Always nice to read about working out when not doing it ;)

Last edited:
Hey Totetanz. I want to echo what others have said; really looking forward to reading your ebook. I'm just getting back to hst-style training after a long time. I have always appreciated your knowledge and the way you systematically experiment with your training and diet. And, of course, your willingness to take the time to post the details of your journey.
S

Thanks. It will be very soon now. I've got a small team writing notes and etc about it so I can polish it before I make the final draft.

Back