Dumbbell shoulder press/ 2 sets
(Laterals raises) optional/ 1 set
Reverse pec deck/ 1 set
Squats/ 2 sets
Biceps pull-ups/ 2 sets
Triceps dips/ 2 sets
Calf raises/ 2 sets
Crunches/ 2 sets

To be honest, I see one exercise for legs and a lot of sets for tiny muscles in the upper body.

Last edited:
To be honest, I see one exercise for legs and a lot of sets for tiny muscles in the upper body.

I don't think I wanna squat or dead lift on a smith machine.

What do you think about this? Looks pretty close to the workout on the website.

Incline Bench/2
Pec deck/1
Wide grip pull-ups/2
Hammer rows/2
Shoulder press/2
Lateral raise/1
Rear pec deck/1
Shrugs/2
Leg press/2
Leg curls/2
Biceps preacher/2
Triceps press down/2
Calf/2
Abs/2

I don't think I wanna squat or dead lift on a smith machine.

What do you think about this? Looks pretty close to the workout on the website.

Incline Bench/2
Pec deck/1
Wide grip pull-ups/2
Hammer rows/2
Shoulder press/2
Lateral raise/1
Rear pec deck/1
Shrugs/2
Leg press/2
Leg curls/2
Biceps preacher/2
Triceps press down/2
Calf/2
Abs/2

Is Smith Machine the only equipment available?

Do you have barbell plus plates or dumbbells available?

Is Smith Machine the only equipment available?

Do you have barbell plus plates or dumbbells available?

The gym im using only has machines, smith machine, preloaded bars up to 60, dumbbells up to 75 and cable station.....

This is what I'm gonna do.
What about the weight increases
10lbs large?
5 lbs small?
Should I go 10 or 5 on shoulder press?

Incline smith -2
Wide pull-ups -2
One arm row-2
Shoulder press-2
Shrugs-2
Hack squat-2
Leg curl-2
Tricep dip-2
Bicep curl-2
Calf-2
Abs -2

Hack squat, DB RDL (one or two legged), Front Squats (smith machine is fine for these, arguably better for quad purposes)

What about the weight increases
10lbs large?
5 lbs small?
Should I go 10 or 5 on shoulder press?

@Nate86

I would suggest 5 lbs for shoulder press unless of course you can press over 200 lbs - I normally work back in 5% increments (or as close as possible - so for arguments sake if you can press 120 lbs for 10 reps then day 1 of the 10 rep block would be 90 lbs, then 95 lbs, then 100 or 105 lbs (as 85% is 102), then 110 (as 90% is 108), then 115 with the 6th day attempting a new 10 rep max of say 125 or more depending on how the exercise feels

The fact is that we cannot you give you program advice without knowing a lot about you. For instance, beginner, intermediate, advanced, years training, chronological age, T levels, height, weight, etc., etc. The sample routines published by Bryan were generalized programs aimed towards beginners. The real point is that the HST principles will benefit everyone but the routine itself has to be tailored to your specified needs and goals and that requires a lot of specific information. T do otherwise is similar to randomly calling up a personal trainer cold and asking him to design a program for you without giving him any information about yourself.

Hack squat, DB RDL (one or two legged), Front Squats (smith machine is fine for these, arguably better for quad purposes)

On week 8 of my current routine. Looking for advice setting up next one.

It's an angled type smith machine. I don't wanna risk any injury. Would it be good to use it for front squats? What about setting the bar up higher and dead lifting from there?

The fact is that we cannot you give you program advice without knowing a lot about you. For instance, beginner, intermediate, advanced, years training, chronological age, T levels, height, weight, etc., etc. The sample routines published by Bryan were generalized programs aimed towards beginners. The real point is that the HST principles will benefit everyone but the routine itself has to be tailored to your specified needs and goals and that requires a lot of specific information. T do otherwise is similar to randomly calling up a personal trainer cold and asking him to design a program for you without giving him any information about yourself.[/QUO

I would say I'm still a beginner.
I am 41 yrs old. Lifting pretty hard for couple years in my early 20's and had some good gains. Since then it's been on and off here and there. But the past year I have been lifting pretty regular. Did upper lower split then did a high volume body part split. I am now on week 8 of full body hst and I must say this is the best routine I have ever tried. I felt great throughout the cycle and have only started experiencing a little fatigue. I havnt weighted or checked body fat but guessing I'm around 215 lbs around 23-25% bodyfat. I'm slowly workin towards losing fat. My diet hasn't been all that great but looking in the mirror I believe I have gotten good results. Strength is way up. I am over my 5 rep max on every exercise and am able to complete 2 sets.
I think I'm gonna push an extra week on the 5's and try to keep adding weight before taking a break and starting another cycle.
I'm gonna change a few exercises for next cycle. And I think I'm gonna do 1 set 15, 2-10, and 3-5.

I'm pretty pleased with my results but believe they could be a little better.

This is the routine I'm close to finishing.

Incline press smith-2
Pec deck-1
Wide grip pull ups-2
Hammer machine rows-2
Dumbbell shoulder press-2
Rear facing pec deck-1
Dumbbell shrug-1
Hack squat machine-2
Leg curl-2
Bicep curl-2
Triceps rope press down-2
Calfs-2
Abs-2
Rotator cuff -2

Looking for advice on setting up routine for next cycle.
I have access to an angled type smith machine, dumbbells, cables, and machines.

@Nate86

I would suggest 5 lbs for shoulder press unless of course you can press over 200 lbs - I normally work back in 5% increments (or as close as possible - so for arguments sake if you can press 120 lbs for 10 reps then day 1 of the 10 rep block would be 90 lbs, then 95 lbs, then 100 or 105 lbs (as 85% is 102), then 110 (as 90% is 108), then 115 with the 6th day attempting a new 10 rep max of say 125 or more depending on how the exercise feels

Could new max attempt be incorporated in the 1-15,2-10,3-5 method?

The fact is that we cannot you give you program advice without knowing a lot about you. For instance, beginner, intermediate, advanced, years training, chronological age, T levels, height, weight, etc., etc. The sample routines published by Bryan were generalized programs aimed towards beginners. The real point is that the HST principles will benefit everyone but the routine itself has to be tailored to your specified needs and goals and that requires a lot of specific information. T do otherwise is similar to randomly calling up a personal trainer cold and asking him to design a program for you without giving him any information about yourself.

Update:
I am 41 yrs old. Lifting pretty hard for couple years in my early 20's and had some good gains. Since then it's been on and off here and there. But the past year I have been lifting pretty regular. Did upper lower split then did a high volume body part split. I am now on week 8 of full body hst and I must say this is the best routine I have ever tried. I felt great throughout the cycle and have only started experiencing a little fatigue. I havnt weighted or checked body fat but guessing I'm around 215 lbs around 23-25% bodyfat. I'm slowly workin towards losing fat. My diet hasn't been all that great but looking in the mirror I believe I have gotten good results. Strength is way up. I am over my 5 rep max on every exercise and am able to complete 2 sets.
I think I'm gonna push an extra week on the 5's and try to keep adding weight before taking a break and starting another cycle.
I'm gonna change a few exercises for next cycle. And I think I'm gonna do 1 set 15, 2-10, and 3-5.

I'm pretty pleased with my results but believe they could be a little better.

This is the routine I'm close to finishing.

Incline press smith-2
Pec deck-1
Wide grip pull ups-2
Hammer machine rows-2
Dumbbell shoulder press-2
Rear facing pec deck-1
Dumbbell shrug-1
Hack squat machine-2
Leg curl-2
Bicep curl-2
Triceps rope press down-2
Calfs-2
Abs-2
Rotator cuff -2

Would like do something like this..

Workout A
Squats
Bench press
Cable Rows
Shoulder press
Triceps

Workout B
Deadlifts
Bench press
Pull ups
Shoulder press
Biceps

You can work bicep and triceps every workout in my experience. You also might want to consider squatting every workout and then just deadlifting maybe 1-2 sets once a week. But even without any changes it looks fine to me.

The only change I might suggest would be to switch one bench press day to dips. Otherwise, the basic core lifts are there.

On week 8 of my current routine. Looking for advice setting up next one.

It's an angled type smith machine. I don't wanna risk any injury. Would it be good to use it for front squats? What about setting the bar up higher and dead lifting from there?

No, you can't do a deadlift on a smith machine and maintain safety.

Yes, you can do a type of front squat but you won't be able to acheive the same full ROM without putting your spine through the grinder. I'd suggest maybe doing front box squats to an inch or two below parallel, rather than ATG like a true front squat.

Split squats would work well on a smith machine though.

Maybe I'm posting in the wrong thread.
BUT if the increasing load is what makes the muscle grow then why do anymore than one set??

If it takes progressive load plus volume then how can I set up a routine with 12 sets chest, 9 biceps and triceps, 16 back per week!?!?

No, you can't do a deadlift on a smith machine and maintain safety.

Yes, you can do a type of front squat but you won't be able to acheive the same full ROM without putting your spine through the grinder. I'd suggest maybe doing front box squats to an inch or two below parallel, rather than ATG like a true front squat.

Split squats would work well on a smith machine though.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna try your suggestion

Would like do something like this..

Workout A
Squats
Bench press
Cable Rows
Shoulder press
Triceps

Workout B
Deadlifts
Bench press
Pull ups
Shoulder press
Biceps

Decided not to do alternating workouts, gonna do same exercises each workout. Still working on it

Back