Hst With 3 Days Work Out

paria

Hey guys, I m newbie to hst, I can go to gym 3 or 4 times a week, of course 3 times is better to me. I wanna know is possible to stick the hst routine by 3 days workout?
If yes I really confused by the number of set for 15s,10s and 5s, I wonder if someone guide me.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Three times per week is fine. Most people do 15 reps for 2 weeks, 10 reps for 2 weeks and then 5 reps for the last 2 weeks of a 6 weeks cycle. Start out with about 75% of your 15 rep max and each training day up by 5 percentage points, plus or minus, until your 6th workout you max out at 100% load of 15 reps. Repeat the same thing for the other rep schemes.

Also, check out Totz's Ebook available for free as a "sticky' on the message board.

Good luck.

To go along with O&G's post you can usually do something like 1-2 sets for 15s, 2-3 sets for 10s and 3-5 sets for 5s. Overall you are aiming for 30 reps for upper body and 60 for lowerbody (or in that range, I find 15 upper and 30 lower is enough to stimulate growth) but as your intensity increases your volume typically needs to decrease. For instance, if you chose to do use different set schemes throughout a two week rep block it may look like below (this is just an example):

Week 1: 2x15 @ 75%, 80%, 85%
Week 2: 1x15 @ 90%, 95%, 100%
Week 3: 3x10 @ 75%, 80%, 85%
Week 4: 2x10 @ 90%, 95%, 100%
Week 5: 5x5 @ 75%, 80% then 4x5 @85%
Week 6: 4x5 @ 90% then 3x5 @ 95%, 100%

If your body is holding up, you can progress into week 7 & 8 doing 2x5s (or even 1x5 for a short time, probably only a workout or two since the minimal volume will not be a sufficient muscle stimulus for long) with increased weight from week 6. Also as you get into weeks 5 and 6 you may find that you have to decrease the number of lifts you do. Personally, I will start cutting out accessory work to save energy for the bigger compound lifts.

After you read the ebook, if you post your workout I am sure you will get a lot of helpful feedback.

Thanks you guys! I read the book too. I have some more questions if possible?
1) Should I do cardio during these weeks? I recently used to do cardio and I don't wanna leave it because start it again after 8 weeks seems so hard to me!
2) if I have sore muscles in the next work day I should continue the routine or rest one day more?
3) I wanna add some exercises for glute, is it a good idea? What do u suggest? Cable Kick back, lunges or?

1. No, cardio will hamper your gains. You can do HIIT intervals, fairly easy on off days, which is way better for fat loss anyway
2. This is answered well in the FAQ and Tot's ebook. As Adpowah said, read the ebook, then come back with more questions, we will be glad to help.
3. Squats and Deadlifts are the best things a guy or gal can do for their glutes. Get rid of the notion that isolations are better than compounds for any given muscle. The only exceptions tend to be neck, forearms and calves, but are usually not needed.

1. No, cardio will hamper your gains. You can do HIIT intervals, fairly easy on off days, which is way better for fat loss anyway
2. This is answered well in the FAQ and Tot's ebook. As Adpowah said, read the ebook, then come back with more questions, we will be glad to help.
3. Squats and Deadlifts are the best things a guy or gal can do for their glutes. Get rid of the notion that isolations are better than compounds for any given muscle. The only exceptions tend to be neck, forearms and calves, but are usually not needed.
Thanks for the reply.
As I m female my body is more talented to get fat it seems so frightening :-\ , how much time I should do hiit?

Thanks you guys! I read the book too. I have some more questions if possible?
1) Should I do cardio during these weeks? I recently used to do cardio and I don't wanna leave it because start it again after 8 weeks seems so hard to me!
2) if I have sore muscles in the next work day I should continue the routine or rest one day more?
3) I wanna add some exercises for glute, is it a good idea? What do u suggest? Cable Kick back, lunges or?

Thanks for the reply.
As I m female my body is more talented to get fat it seems so frightening :-\ , how much time I should do hiit?

1.) I don't disagree with @k_dean_curtis, cardio especially endurance cardio will inhibit muscular gains. From simply a body composition perspective lifting weights or HIIT are superior. So if your only concern is body fat level or increasing your lean mass then endurance cardio is unnecessary. However endurance cardio is a skill, and if you exclude it from training you will lose your aptitude. If endurance cardio is important you will need to continue to train it. If you continue to train it you will have to greatly decrease the amount (maybe one long run a week at most and 1-2 very small runs primarily used as a warmup on lifting days).

Minor subpoint is that based on a very successful powerlifter's recommendation I added about 10mins of cool down cardio after my workout and it has been very successful in mitigating DOMS and getting the both back to a parasympathetic nervous state (recovery).

2) From a performance perspective, as long as you are experienced enough to know the difference between pains, DOMS is basically a meaningless pain. It typically is just a signal that your body is not used to that level of activity, if you are experienced and getting DOMS you may be overreaching. In a 6 week block though you have plenty of opportunities to take an SD when needed. As long as your recovery is in good order your body will get used to the new level of excertion and the DOMS will go away.

From a hypertrophy standpoint, Tote's book says:
Lastly, you would want to decrease volume if you are tired most of the time but still don't sleep well, notice any sort of strain in your joints or other over-use pain, strength levels are plummeting and if you notice your immune system seems very poor.
Overtraining or overreaching is not something that we want to do in HST. This tactic is one that improves performance, not hypertrophy. As such, be mindful to keep volume low enough to avoid this. Many people try to increase volume above what they need to grow in an effort to improve their gains, but the reality is that the minimum volume necessary to grow is going to be more effective than using the maximum volume you can handle. If you ever get to the point where you are truly overtrained, a simple nine day SD is not sufficient to alleviate
the symptoms of overtraining.

3) Squats, Sumo deadlifts, RDLs and glute-ham raises (IMO in that order from most effective). I love conventional deadlifts but the other exercises here will get you more volume and focus.

how much time I should do hiit?
I would suggest building up to 20 minutes of HIIT (total time) plus warm up is sufficient based on a work to rest ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 depending on how intense the work element is.

Unless you are trying to bulk up or create hugely larger muscles (which I doubt), cardio (especially HIIT) and HST can be used successfully together to stimulate overall health and lean body mass. Do them on separate days and keep your training times reasonable on both types of exercise. Will you look like a female/male bodybuilder? No. Can you achieve a fitness model/competitor type physique? Yes, over time and with a consistent program. The unspoken benefit is that you can eat a lot of food. ;)

Last edited:
1. Deadlifts, squats and bent-leg good mornings are the best things can do for glutes. Deadlifts would be the best in my opinion, the entire exercise is an extrapolation of the hip-hinge movement/function that the deadlift builds upon.

2. My opinions on cardio have changed over the last year. I would definitely maintain cardio, so long as it is not running; bike, rower, swimming - something non-impact. This article by Greg Nuckols, a world-record holder powerlifter discusses the application of cardio and how to integrate it into a weights-routine; http://www.strengtheory.com/avoiding-cardio-could-be-holding-you-back/ . In addition, the health benefits are undeniable for anyone over thirty, definitely anyone over thirty-five.

3. I would NOT to HIIT, and I definitely would not to it on non-workout days. It will greatly impact your recovery. I would do 30-40min of low-mod cardio after workouts, 3x per week.

4. If you want to gain some muscle, just eat some extra to make up for the cardio. It will take you a week or two to figure out exactly how much extra, but that's the way to go.

Reactions: Lol
Back