HST with Kelly Baggett Diet?

DaNutz

I am new to HST and am anxious to give it a try. I just went through P90X to get my butt back into shape and have shed most of that extra fat. Since then I hit the weights again doing some basic full body routines to get my core strength back to a decent level.

Now I am looking to get bigger, but I am not willing to sacrifice "lots" of the work I put in to get rid of this fat. While I know I will gain some fat it needs to be under control! :)

I have done a lot of research and ran across Kelly Baggett's "The No Bull Muscle Building Plan" which had a promising diet plan along with workout routines to gain mass and shed fat quickly. Sort of mini cycles for htose not familiar. I have read many good things about this program and Kelly seems to be very reputable.

Here is the basic idea.

Day 1, 3, 5, 8, 10 are full body workouts
2,4,6,7,9,11 are off days
12, 13 are light cardio and intense cardio respectively
Day 14 you begin all over again

Now the diet works along side like this...
Days 1- 11 eat for bulk (500-1000 over maint)
12, 13 Low carb (50-100) low cal (10-15 cal per pound)
Day 14 low carb, low cal until 1 hour before workout, then you start bulk diet.

I believe this fits in perfectly with HST as Kelly promotes many of the same concepts of weight training for hypertrophy. Basically the net result after 2 weeks should be 1-4 lbs of lean muscle or so that is the theory.

I was thinking an 8 week HST with this diet
15x1 week 1-2
10 x2 week 3-4
5 x 3 week 5-6
5 x 3 week 7-8 max
Rest week

What do you all think of mixing the diet with HST?

Last edited:
not really up on diets TBH,so basicly your bulking for 11 days then dieting for 3 is that correct.
and when you say "Days 1- 11 eat for bulk (500-1000 over maint)" do you mean a day,or over the 11 days'let us all know how you go on.
good luck:cool::D

Yes, you are basically bulking for 11.5 days and cutting 2.5 days every 2 weeks. You eat 500-1000 over maintenance every day during bulking. The first couple days of bulking he recommends really hitting the carbs hard because the body is in its most optimal stage.

During bulking you should be gaining 4-10 lbs (seems high to me, but lots of it is water, etc)
During the cut you should lose most of that and get down to 1-4 lbs of lean muscle.

I will keep you posted on how it goes. I am going to use the HST style of training along with this diet. The workout plan he has tied to the diet is very HST like and this seems to fit perfectly.

if your going to eat 1000cls a day over for 11 days,i dont see how its possible to lose that weight in 2.5 days unless you ate nothing.
basicly you would be eating 11000 cals over maintanence,surely its impossible to lose 11000cls in two days.

You do know that it takes your body a little while to adjust itself if you shift from bulking to fat-burning? There are various mechanisms that only become optimised once you have been eating a certain way for a while (eg. the body becomes better at burning fat stores if carbs and fats are low, but it can't get better overnight). Lyle always recommends periods of maintenance even while on a steady cut to attempt to reset hormone levels to normal as much as possible.

Anyway, you'll be eating over maintenance for most of the time so you should make some good gains.

Oh, do 2 x 15 as well. Loads are relatively light and you'll love the pump you get.

if your going to eat 1000cls a day over for 11 days,i dont see how its possible to lose that weight in 2.5 days unless you ate nothing.
basicly you would be eating 11000 cals over maintanence,surely its impossible to lose 11000cls in two days.

You make a good point but keep in mind the goal isn't to lose all the weight. This is designed to gain weight but control the fat increases along the way. He does state that 1,000 over maintenance is too much for most people. Anything over 750 a day just goes to fat for most. Or so that is what he says.

I am going to target 500-750 over maintenance. I am hoping to net 1-2 pounds every couple weeks.

You do know that it takes your body a little while to adjust itself if you shift from bulking to fat-burning? There are various mechanisms that only become optimised once you have been eating a certain way for a while (eg. the body becomes better at burning fat stores if carbs and fats are low, but it can't get better overnight). Lyle always recommends periods of maintenance even while on a steady cut to attempt to reset hormone levels to normal as much as possible.

Anyway, you'll be eating over maintenance for most of the time so you should make some good gains.

Oh, do 2 x 15 as well. Loads are relatively light and you'll love the pump you get.

Thanks for the info and advice! I will give the 2 x 15 a shot for the big compound moves. I don't want to overdue my first cycle...how does this look?

Squat, Bench, Deads, Military 2 x 15
Rows, Curls, Tri ext, Calf 1 x 15

I want to focus most my energy at the big moves that net the key results.

Back