I need a little bit of help with my negatives.

stan

This is what I've been doing my first week of negatives:

Deadlift - 100kg / Squat - 80kg
Machine assisted dip - 0kg
incline benchpress - 60kg
Cable Pulldown - 70kg
Seated Row - 63kg
Standing Calf-raise - 140kg one leg
Leg extension - 140kg
Leg Curl - 98kg
EZbar bicep curl in a preacher bench - 20kg one arm
EZbar pushdown - 40kg one arm.

So I've basically stayed at my 5rm for most of my exercises except bicep and tricep, where I switched to a negative version of the same exercise..

With the bicep I really feel a little bit of pain (a good pain btw.. as in, I think it's harmless) when trying to lower the weight in a controlled fashion when I'm almost at the bottom of the rep, but no such thing with the tricep.. I don't have a spotting partner, because if I had, I'd be doing more negative exercises..

With the exercises which I do 5rm with, I'm trying to make them harder by slowing down the pace and focusing on form issues..

What do you think? Should I carry on with this, or change anything?

thanks for any replies :)
S.

You can use incline flys for negs....you'll be able to press up more than you could fly, so you can do ~120% without a spotter.

I'm starting the negs this Sunday. I'm only doing negs on Sun, Tues, Thurs, the other days I'm probably just going to do metabolic work or something, not sure yet.

What I planned to do with the exercises I can't use negs for is keep increasing the weight passed my 5RM and use cluster sets to get up to my rep target for each one. I don't know if that sounds like fun to you though, but it might be worth a shot. I'm considering adding in loaded stretches for those exercises as well, or maybe pulsing or something.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

I've no idea what my 2rm is, but it's not far from what I'm taking..

I tried doing the leg curls and extensions negatively, and I halved the weight to start with and just do 1 leg instead of two, and that was plenty of effort, strange..

I'm wondering one thing.. as this is my first cycle, should I SD after my second negative week? I'm thinking I'd like to add one or two extra weeks just to experiment with different exercises and slowly develop a better negative exercise program..

Sound like a good or bad idea?

S.

huhg? how do you do negatives on squats?
butbut.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Deadlift - 100kg / Squat - 80kg
Machine assisted dip - 0kg
incline benchpress - 60kg
Cable Pulldown - 70kg
Seated Row - 63kg
Standing Calf-raise - 140kg one leg
Leg extension - 140kg
Leg Curl - 98kg
I'm confused you're doing 308 Lb One Legged Calf Raise and Leg Extensions and 215 Lb leg curls(WOW, you must have legs like tree trunks, comparing to your chest, 132 Lbs
sad.gif
) but you're only doing 176 lb squats and 220 lb Deads.  
crazy.gif
If you're putting that kind of load on the legs during negs why are you even doing the reduced weight on the squats and deads?

Nemesis784: Basically you can do it if you have a spotter who help you up with the weight.

DKM: nah, you're misreading it. I listed the calf-raise as a negative, but the leg curl and extensions on the list are done with two legs at my 5rm, so is the squat and deadlift.. So on the list in the first post, only the bicep curl, tricep extension and calf-raise are actualy negative exercises.

I tried this friday to halve the weight on the leg curl and extension, as in doing 70 kg with one leg in the leg extension, and around 60 kg with the leg curl and one leg.. and doing that with one leg was tough enough so that it became a negative, even though when I do it with two legs, I can do it as my 5rm.. which was the strange part.

I'm thinking about extending the negatives, so I can test out different negative exercises, and just see what works and what doesn't for the next cycle.

S.

So I'm no monster, pretty normal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan @ Mar. 05 2005,1:28)]Nemesis784:  Basically you can do it if you have a spotter who help you up with the weight.
DKM:  nah, you're misreading it.  I listed the calf-raise as a negative, but the leg curl and extensions on the list are done with two legs at my 5rm, so is the squat and deadlift..  So on the list in the first post, only the bicep curl, tricep extension and calf-raise are actualy negative exercises.
I tried this friday to halve the weight on the leg curl and extension, as in doing 70 kg with one leg in the leg extension, and around 60 kg with the leg curl and one leg.. and doing that with one leg was tough enough so that it became a negative, even though when I do it with two legs, I can do it as my 5rm.. which was the strange part.
I'm thinking about extending the negatives, so I can test out different negative exercises, and just see what works and what doesn't for the next cycle.
S.
So I'm no monster, pretty normal.
No I just didn't make myself clear.

Your 5RM for Squats is 176 Lbs
Deads 220 Lbs
But your
Leg Ext, a whooping 308 Lbs, that's a lot in my book
Leg curl again a lot, 200 + lbs
It's just that most that I know can generally do more poundage on squats and deads than leg ext or leg curl.

I'd actually do more in the leg extensions, but I can't pile more weight onto the machine.. but now that I think about it, maybe I can squeeze 10 or 20 kilos extra ontop.. The leg curl is done in a seated leg curl machine.. I don't like the lying one, but I know my 5rm in that one is about 70-77kg

Umm.. I just do the exercises.. the leg extensions are easy and I don't care how much I take in them, the squats I like and are tough to do.. and I've only been doing them for maybe 4-5 months. Maybe I'm doing them wrong, but I don't think so.. I pride myself on going very low and to keep the form as correct as possible, but I'm always open to rechecking the form I'm using.

With the deadlift, I can barely hang on to the 100kg for the last set.. I always at the last rep of the third set have to put the weight completely down and re-grip the bar, so I probably could take more weight in the deadlift, if my grip was stronger, so I'll have to develop that more somehow.. Hints for good grip exercises would be appreciated :)

I don't use a belt or grip-strips yet, don't feel I've come far enough to need it.

What are the guys you know taking in SQ/DL and leg extensions and curls?

S.

I have two guys I am helping now with their training. I have them on 3X week full body 9 exercises. One guy who is short, 5'6" about 180 can squat 260 Lb for 10, the other who is tall 6'4" can only squat 205 for 10, they both DL in excess 270 Lb. I don't have them on ext or leg curls but when we set their maxes we set maxes for them and their 10RM for ext. (I removed them to have them concentrate on the larger movements) was about 120lb and 150 lb (short guy, tall guy) leg curls (lying) was 65 and 75 (short, tall). It would seem that height has something to do with it. Both have been haphazardly training for about 2 years. I fall into this category as well as I can squat way more than I can do leg ext. a little over 2X as much.

I'm 6'1", 192lbs, and when doing the extensions I just use explosive power.. maybe it's my back-muscles which are making me lag behind in the squat, but I know it's back+grip which makes me only take 100kg in the deadlift.

I guess I could do more if I used vicious trick of adding unstability to the squat.. dunno, don't want to do that without a spotter.

If you want to check out my progress thread it's here.

Don't be afraid of the leg extensions.. they're blooming easy, and I used to take them hard and fast until I felt the legs burning, often did 100-119 kilos 12-14 times, the quads can take punishment, just use explosive power and pile it on, you'll easily double the weight you're taking with the legs.

But of course, we're not doing this because of the weight, so screw it.

However.. remembering how I progressed in the extensions.. and the emotions and effort involved.. I could use that when doing the squats, however I do the squats in a very controlled fashion, no real explosion involved.

I don't think though that the negative calf-raise is doing anything.. but not 100% sure.. I'll bump up the weight and see what happens.

S.

Back