Intro: New to board/HST

Rory

Hello Everyone,
New to the board and to HST. Rather than be a lurker, I've decided to post and interact and I'm looking forward to learning from you, as well as, maybe even helping out others a bit when I can.
I've been training for about 8 years now and had been doing the "one body part/day, once a week thing" for years. Then, I decided to give UD2 a try (followed it to a "T") and was amazed at the results, given the full body workouts and increased training frequency. Lyle made mention of Brian and the HST site in his book and after a 6 week cycle of UD2, I plan on doing the HST cycle for the next 8 weeks. Yes...I'm now a believer in the proponents of both HST and UD2 and the training protocols prescribed in both, as opposed to the traditional muscle mag recommendations. BTW, great research articles here on the site, Brian!
Stated earlier, I have about 8 years of training behind me. Currently about 200 lbs, 5'9 and approx. 8-10% bf. I cannot let my bf get too high throughout the year, rather need to stay relatively lean year-round.
So here's my proposed HST schedule (obviously starting with the 15 rep scheme) and I'll alternate workout 1 and 2:
Workout 1
Squat-2 sets
SLDL - 1 set
Incline BB - 2 sets
Flat DB Flye - 1 set
Pull Down to Front - 2 sets
BB Row - 2 sets
DB seated shrugs- 1 set
BB shoulder press - 1 set
Lateral Raise (on incline bench) 1 set
Rear Delt (DB/Bent-over) 1 set
BB Curl 1 set
Skull Crushers - 1 set
Donkey Calf Raise - 1 set
Hanging Leg Raise for abs

Workout 2
Leg Press - 2 sets
Leg Curl - 1 set
Decline BB Press - 2 sets
DB Incline Flye - 1 set
Rack/Partial Deadlifts - 2 sets
Rack Chins, a la Doggcrapp - 2 sets
Machine Shrugs - 1 set
DB shoulder press - 1set
BB Front Raise - 1 set
Reverse Pec-Dec 1-set
DB Curl on Incline 1 set
Rope Pushdown - 1 set
Seated Calf Raise 1 set
Weighted Crunches on ball 1 set

Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for any input you can give. Much appreciated and I apologize for the long post.

Welcome aboard Rory  
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]maybe even helping out others a bit when I can.
Looking forward to it  
worship.gif

Your program looks good, quite a few exercises which is fine for a non novice, you got your sets laid out well, keeping fatique under control.

looks good, just monitor your strength to make sure you aren't overdoing anything and you should be good. Since you are coming off UD2 make sure you have replenished your carbs for the 15's or they'll nail ya.

What's your frequency plan?

Thanks for the quick response ;)

It's been two weeks since I did UD2, took a week off of training (went to the Arnold). I've been eating suffiecient carbs for the past two weeks, your basic 40/40/20 diet at or slightly above maintenence...all those samples at the Arnold Expo LOL.

I plan on weight training MWF, throwing some cardio in on my off days but will at least take one or two days for total rest. I respond better to steady state/longer duration cardio than HIIT. I have a love/hate relationship with the StepMill, ie. Gauntlet.

If I was you, I wouldn't do cardio during the 15s...I doubt you'll need it
tounge.gif
But at least see if it's necessary for that phase.

Also, I'd recommend not using front/lat/rear delt raises until the 2nd week of 10s perhaps even until the 5s. The reason being is because you'll find you plateau in terms of increments when you get to the really heavy stuff.

Lastly, I'm a big believer in hitting the calves 3-4 sets per workout. It's worked for me, I've even elicited growth for them during the my recent 15s phase.

Alright, so I'll just stick with the presses for shoulders now. My calves respond to more volume as well, like when I throw some weight on the seated calf and do a set of 100's with little breaks in between, say at 50 and 75.
With my program that I posted, I was trying to stick with the protocol outlined in the article on the website. But if I can modify it, I'll do so. Lyle, in UD2, recommended that you follow the book as closely as possible so I wasn't sure if HST would be the same in this regard. I tend to get kind of OCD about this stuff, as well as, with diet. A blessing and a curse...
So, how about increasing the training frequency? I was thinking of weight training maybe every other day instead to taking two days off during the weekend.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rory @ Mar. 13 2005,12:45)]So, how about increasing the training frequency?  I was thinking of weight training maybe every other day instead to taking two days off during the weekend.
That's fine
thumbs-up.gif

Cool, thanks for all the info. and suggestions. I just couldn't come to terms psychologically with only weight training 3x/week :)
I start this morning. Can't wait!

Back