leg training

style

Does anyone do sprint training for leg size? My friend plays ice hockey and his legs are much bigger than mine without any weights! If anyone does it, how is it implemented?

If I read your question correctly I do split training for my legs. I have been using an upper lower body split HST style for quiet some time now. It works great, maybe to great since I now want my upper body to get the same results even though I suppose they are proportionate. So here is what I do.

Leg day
Squat
leg curls
calf raises

3 sets each then increase for an extra set or two when going heavy. I also maybe do other stuff on this day like abs and or cardio and or agility training and or grip training. Basically whatever I'm missing

Next leg day
Stiff legged deadlift
leg extensions
calf raises

You could just add both leg days together I have done so before but find this works fine. Besides splitting up squats and deadlifts is a hole lot less stressful.

you read incorrectly, im talking about sprint training not split. Because I want my weight training is for sport I was wondering how to implement sprint training for larger, more powerful legs.

Im glad your leg training is effective, I use much the same programme, without stiff legged deadlifts.

Ahh I do read incorrectly sprint not split. Well from what I can recall there was a thread awhile back about how soccer players have such large legs without weights. The answer was because when you go to break down (stop) there is such great force on your legs it is like doing negatives. So sprint training would do the same similar thing since it is exerting such force on the legs. The hardest thing is to incorporate it into HST (if that’s what you are doing) is that there is no set load. So I would suggest doing the sprint training closer to the end with the heavy weights. Just my 2 cents.

Cool, you cant help but notice how hockey players, sprinters etc all have massive legs. You mean run with weights in your hand or after squats? that would be exhausting...I used to do sprint training 5x15 sec sprints up stairs with 45 second rest-walk back down- it was v demanding, spewed a couple of times. Just wondering if there was a more effective way of doing it. I suppose, using HST principles, 1 set(?) of 15 seconds sprinnting, every 2 days, with a backpack on, add weights, I'm a bit fat at the mo so sprinting my 240 pound @$$ up a hill should be load enough at the mo. Hmmmm if the slowing down is the most stressful I could start running down the hill then stop and tail it up the hill. Will do that. Cheers

No I did not mean with weights in the hands, but there is a weight vest out there if you were really interested in it. You can also use a parachute, down hill running (very slight decline), there are bands that will kind of shoot you out like a sling shot, and there is also the towing tires. Those are all various sprinting training methods I can recall off the top of my head each of which train you to get better at various aspects of running.

You could also try other drills like agility drills (I just started incorporating these) the ones I'm doing are basic line drills where you jump in various patterns. But there is also the w drill which comes from football for training defensive backs. Great drill, you start off low, back peddle break down, sprint up break down, and do a w with it. You could also look up plyometric drills as well. Oh the hill is a great way to punish yourself! Try getting low and back peddling up the hill that really works the quads. Lunging, bear crawls, and other funny walking drills up the hill are also extremely difficult. There are so many different types of running drills you can do just pick a few that you enjoy or want to work at and do those.

Ohh also look up high intensity interval training (HIIT), it is sprint training as well also known as wind sprints. Very good form of training and much talked about here by vicious. It is easy to find using the search bar and is talked about how and when to incorporate that into your HST. From my personal experience it will get you allot faster just by doing that instead of any of the fancy stuff I mentioned earlier.

Back