Leonardopm's Bulking Log

leonardopm

Here we go.

As Jester suggested I created a specific topic.

Today is 11th day of cutting and I ended with 2300 calories. I'm not doing IF but I found good to eat only 1000 calories during the day and 1300+ at night. I really hate go to bed hungry and this solution solved that.

Today's weight was 215.2 lbs. just to remember I weighed 221 fifteen days ago but I had some intestinal issues on the way what explains such a big drop in weight.

As reported in the other topic I had difficulties in the first training sessions but the last two workouts were good. I'm still working with the same loads I ended bulking.

Let's see what happens...

This weekend I met some parents that I haven't seen long time so...messed up. I ate 3300 kcal on both days. Lots of beer.

Back to track this Monday.

The workout today was good. Still lifting the top loads from bulking cycle.

No strength loss so far but I'm starting to feel reasonably deflated. Weighed 214 pounds yesterday. Today I stopped at 2200 kcals.

Should I start over progression from 10's a little? I'm repeating endlessly the 5's.

Not especially - you're already in deficit, and that isn't what put you there (i.e. you're not reliant on it to get in deficit), and the extra neural expenditure will be all the more taxing in a relevant deficit.

I think it certainly has its place in more programmed diets like UD 2.0, but for a straight cut I would personally advise against it.

Definitely not. You'll have 4-5kgs worth of water-glycogen-sodium weight to lose (some of which will you will put back on and off forever depending on whether you're glycogen-depleted or not).

Definitely not. You'll have 4-5kgs worth of water-glycogen-sodium weight to lose (some of which will you will put back on and off forever depending on whether you're glycogen-depleted or not).

Well, I suspected that. Calipers didn't show major changes in BF and I didn't lose strength so it's probably water and glycogen.

Maybe the extended 5 rep work is also contributing since it doesn't have focus on the sarcoplasma. I have nearly 8 weeks doing 5's.

You don't need to focus on sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, and the evidence suggests that there's no way to modulate between the two effectively or permanently. In a deficit you will not be constantly refilling glycogen stores to their maximum capacity. Each glucose drags something like 6x H20 molecules with it if I recall correct, which adds up to a LOT of fluctuating weight for someone exercising and at maintenance/surplus.

On a deficit it just means you have a lot of 'easy' stuff to lose at the start.

Just so you know, lifting only twice a week during a cut is fine. Remember that protein synthesis is not the only thing we are after with lifting, it is not the only thing that will retain muscle. Retaining muscle is a lot easier than building it. Most people who think they lost tons of muscle on a cut are just freaking out over nothing. Just realize that your muscles will be deflated during a cut and will look smaller than they actually are due to glycogen depletion, since you aren't eating as much. Once you resume a maintenance diet or even do a refeed, they will begin to fill back up.

Obviously it may be "more optimal" to lift three or more times a week while cutting, but it's not necessary if you can't do it. I just hate to see people quit cutting before reaching their goal because they can only lift twice a week and think they are going to lose all their muscle if they keep cutting.

I wasn't finished.

Don't get too hung up on maintaining strength. It is a good indicator that you are maintaining your muscle. However, a small decrease in strength is normal. Since you will have less energy to fuel your workouts, strength can drop. For example, if you normally were benching 225 for five reps and find you can only get three reps out, that is fine. I would reduce volume and cluster reps to get enough volume in before you reduce the load. Just be aware that yes, you might be getting fewer reps with the same loads for a while. Typically, the strength will come back quickly once you start eating at maintenance again.

Thank you very much Totentanz. I'm probably keeping 100% strength because I started CM just after the cut and I'm also taking Maltodextrin prior to workouts.

I'm very cool with the deflated look. I know it's a collateral effect that I will easily revert since I restart bulking.

I pretend to return to 3 times a week but for some days I'll have to keep workouts twice since I'm very busy lately. It seems to be working so far.

Now things are getting clear. I didn't lost any strength but I lost tolerance for higher volume.

Last week was great, only trained twice. This week I trained at Monday and again today. Got the usual loads but ended a lot more tired. I'm even feeling some twitches in the triceps.

210 lbs of BW today. Calipers showing 12,5% BF using JP7.

Got a cold and had a terrible workout yesterday. Let's see if it gets better.

Average caloric intake for this entire month was 2520. Maybe I should cut another 200 cals...

210 lbs of BW today. Calipers showing 12,5% BF using JP7.

Got a cold and had a terrible workout yesterday. Let's see if it gets better.

Average caloric intake for this entire month was 2520. Maybe I should cut another 200 cals...

That is still 2.5lbs in the last 21 days so approx 0.8lb per week and 11lb in 6 weeks (nearly 2lb per week) - what is your planned weekly loss?

Mickc, I want to loose 1 lb per week at minimum. I know I lost a lot of weight in the first weeks but it was primarily water weight.

TBH I know that things aren't so bad. I'm just impatient. [emoji1]

Back