Mad Sniggel 5x5

Sniggel

Ok, so I decided to start logging here again.
I am going to try out Mad Cow 5x5 routine becuase it sounds like fun and also effective from my perspective of experience.
Here is the link to the program.
After week 4 I will be pushing to reach new PRs

Week 1

Squat
5*65 kg
5*75 kg
5*85 kg
5*85 kg

Military Press
5*32½ kg
5*37½ kg
5*42½ kg
5*47½ kg

Deadlift
5*92½ kg
5*105 kg
5*122½ kg
5*140 kg

Situps

Sniggel...why PR's after four weeks? the reason I ask is that if you're able to make linear progress, you probably won't be hitting your current rep maxes within four weeks.

did you use the spreadsheet from the site to figure the weights? reason I ask relates to above question.

most importantly, are you deadlifting twice weekly? reason I ask is that you are IRONMAN.

*subscribes to this log*

You will definitely enjoy this routine. Great gains in both size and strength. Will also be watching your log with interest. Good luck!

Good luck.  I was thinking about doing that after i did Starting Strength.  I'm sure you'll see some good results on it.

Sniggel has made some solid progress in his training in the past.  He definitely knows what he's doing with regard to training.  He was one of the guys that bulked using max-stimulation along with me awhile back and got pretty huge if I remember.

5x5 is awesome.  My only problem with it is the frequent heavy loads that I burn out after a few weeks, lately I have had to drop training frequency to twice/weekly.

(its a lot like Max-stim in that way.)
wow.gif

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 27 2008,8:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sniggel...why PR's after four weeks? the reason I ask is that if you're able to make linear progress, you probably won't be hitting your current rep maxes within four weeks.

did you use the spreadsheet from the site to figure the weights? reason I ask relates to above question.

most importantly, are you deadlifting twice weekly? reason I ask is that you are IRONMAN.

*subscribes to this log*

BAX67, HstRiggins, soflsun: thanks for your good luck wishes!

Sci. Yes I have tried both HST and MAX-Stim in the past. I dont know what have given me the best results but I know that both of them gave me good results. I realized this when I compared pics a year after (and strength feats).

soflsun

My best stats are
Squat: 150 kg (at bodyweight of 83 kg)
(I took this about a year ago, havent done it again since. I have been on a diet for a whole year and i think I am a tiny bit weaker on this movement so this one is something I want to get back to and beyond)
Bench: 125 (at bodyweight of 83 kg)
Also quite a while back since i did it I think I am not far away at all from it.
Deadlift: 200 kg (took this nasty one about 2 months ago I believe at a bodyweight of 78 kg, the lift I am most proud of!)

On the avatar I am quite a bit leaner than I am now (74 kg I believe compared to 80-ish that I weigh now).

I have been trying out a lot of different diets this year and found out that what works best for me with my current discipline (i did try a cyclic ketodiet and gave up after one day lol!) is what I have been doing before, although, maybe a bit higher on the protein. I will not do any low-carb bulk to gain lean mass because my performance plummets and I wont lift heavier wieghts that way. I will not care if I put on some slab because I know that bulking this way have made me gain strength and muscle in the past and I also know that I can cut the fat away. And besides I dont mind being smooth.
I will also do cardio while bulking to improve my CV health and work performance and it might probably keep away some of the fat gain too.</div>
Oh, so much response :)

According to the site it is recommended that on week 5 and thereafter you will set new PRs.
Now Linear progress is a bit hard for me at my stage but I have been trying hard for a while to get past plateus and by deloading like i am doing now (week 1-3) I am hoping it will trigger my body to be able to get new PRs. This in combination with that i am bulking I should be able to get new PRs. If I suddenly fail I will go back a few weeks and start over (on the exercise i fail). i have not used the official spreadsheet, i did my own because I am an excel geek
tounge.gif

Hmm i reread your question now. I think I didn´t understand it at first lol. Yes the weights look low but thats because I started at day 2 for a couple of reasons. And day 2 is low weights for squat, not near my usual training weights at all.

If i am deadlifting twice a week? No, I havent found away to be able to do DL more than once a week successfully. Maybe I have confused you by starting on day 2, I can understand that would make one confused. Ironman? Haha barely, but thanks for the compliment!

Maybe I should explain better what I am doing

Day 1
Squat 5 5 5 5 5
Bench 5 5 5 5 5
Row or Power Clean 5 5 5 5 5 (havent decided yet, although I think I really should start learning the Power Clean)
+assistance

Day 2 (yesterday, first day)
Squat 5 5 5 5
Standing Military 5 5 5 5
Deadlift 5 5 5 5
+assistance

Day 3
Squat 5 5 5 5 3 8
Bench 5 5 5 5 3 8
Row or Power Clean 5 5 5 5 3 8 (havent decided yet, although I think I really should start learning the Power Clean)
+assistance

Welcome back Sniggel. Congrats on getting the 200kg dead. I remember when you were hoping to get that. Next stop 230kg!

Yesterday

Came home late from work and didnt have time to rest as much as I wanted between sets, had to skip assistance exercises. I was also Very tired from only 5 hours sleep and 10 hours of work. Fortunately the weights are still low otherwise I would have failed here and there.

Squat
5*65 kg
5*75 kg
5*85 kg
5*97 kg
3*114 kg
8*85 kg

Bench
5*52 kg
5*59 kg
5*67 kg
5*77 kg
3*90 kg
8*67 kg

Practised Power Cleans
5*40 kg
5*40 kg
5*50 kg
5*50 kg (Technique improved after 3 sets, lol thats the sign of a beginner)
5*60 kg

I have decided to continue practising Cleans until I get a feel for it and then I will follow a progress plan with them as well. But for now i will only choose weights that I think is appropriate to practise with. Maybe I will raise, maybe I will lower them until next time.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 27 2008,11:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">5x5 is awesome.  My only problem with it is the frequent heavy loads that I burn out after a few weeks</div>
I know what you mean. I started the stronglifts 5x5 in January and did that for 4 months, then started a modified Texas Method. Once you get into the heavier weights the mental strain gets very considerable. In fact this is what led me to HST. After 5 months of 5x5 I had to have a change of scenery. I envy those who have the recovery to do a 5x5 for long time frames...

<div>
(Sniggel @ May 27 2008,10:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Week 2

Squat
5*67½ kg
5*75 kg
5*87½ kg
5*100 kg
5*115 kg

Bench
5*52½ kg
5*60 kg
5*70 kg
5*80 kg
5*90 kg

Power Cleans
5*33 kg
5*38 kg
5*44 kg
5*50 kg
5*57 kg
I am going to visit an olympic lifting club in town tomorrow. Keeping the intensity a bit down so i can train technique tomorrow without it getting too much volume for me (I hope).

Hyper Extensions and Crunches, both weigthed

Yesterday I was at the club and got instructed on the olympic lifts, well part of it. it went really well and I felt like I improved quite a bit. Unfortunately I cant get my next instruction for more than a week.

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 03 2008,5:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unfortunately I cant get my next instruction for more than a week.</div>
that's fantastic Sniggel! good for you.

Hmm, did you misread what I typed?
rock.gif

Of course its nice that i get instructed anyway.

Here´s yesterday

Squat
5*67½ kg
5*75 kg
5*87½ kg
5*87½ kg

Military Press
5*32½ kg
5*37½ kg
5*42½ kg
5*50 kg

Deadlift
5*95 kg
5*110 kg
5*125 kg
5*142½ kg

No assistance work because of planned barbacue post-workout
biggrin.gif

Nice PR's I must say! I am very eager to try Madcow's or some similar 5x5 routine myself. I guess the fact that you will aim for new PR's with your current stats will really put this program to the test and see if vâra svenska gener kan nâ samma höjder med jänkarnas styrkefavorit
wink.gif

Yep, exactly so! I am always trying for PRs though. If its long term or short term. Right now I am thinking short term, which means at least one exercise in around 1½-2 months.
Kul med fler svenskar här
smile.gif

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 04 2008,6:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hmm, did you misread what I typed?  
rock.gif
</div>
no sir. I read you right! wish I had an opportunity for live coaching. great lifting Sniggel.

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jun. 04 2008,10:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 04 2008,6:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hmm, did you misread what I typed?
rock.gif
</div>
no sir. I read you right! wish I had an opportunity for live coaching. great lifting Sniggel.</div>
Ok. But if I were you, i would have quoted this sentence instead
&quot;Yesterday I was at the club and got instructed on the olympic lifts, well part of it. it went really well and I felt like I improved quite a bit.&quot;

Instead of the &quot;unfortunately-sentence&quot;
tounge.gif

&quot;unfortunately&quot; does not go well with &quot;great news&quot; lol.
Made me confused damnit!
mad.gif

I have a late update. Have been working a lot this weekend as usual so haven't had time for updating log book.

This is friday:

Regular Gym closed earlier today because of stupid national day
tounge.gif
. So I had to go to emergency softcore 24h gym (well-spent 900 SEK (150 US dollars) for a year, or was it?).

Smith Squat (No barbell stand lol)
5*65 kg
5*75 kg
5*87½ kg
5*100 kg
3*117½ kg
8*87½ kg

Bench (Well they do have bench-equipment)
5*50 kg
5*60 kg
5*70 kg
5*80 kg
3*92½ kg
8*70 kg
Lots of teenagers training there with unused weights on ez-bars etc... Didnt bother to go searching for all the 1.25 and 2½ kg-plates all the time so rounded most of lifts to nearest 10 kg

Practised Power Cleans
5*32½ kg
5*37½ kg
5*45 kg
5*50 kg
3*60 kg
8*45 kg
Felt really beat up and didnt have an explosiveness in me at all.
It has been a tough week with the workload I did and It was also noticable when working this weekend. been awfully tired getting out of bed, being at work and coming home from work lol. For instance, today, walking from bus to work for half an hour was a pain because it felt like I was doing lunges all the way to work even though I walked at a normal pace.
Yes, my legs really were that tired.

I will however continue next week without any changes yet, hoping my body will adapt to the volume. I will also make sure to continue getting lots of carbs and calories overall so my body gets all the opportunity to recover.

If it doesnt get better by week 4 I might change up a few things.

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 04 2008,11:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Kul med fler svenskar här
smile.gif

Translation: Nice to have more Swedish folks here!</div>
Visst är det!
smile.gif

Ha så kul med MadCow's 5x5!

And the translation for you with limited experience in Swedish:
Sure is!
smile.gif

Have fun with MadCow's 5x5!

Back