"Maxing Out" At The End of Each 2 Week Block?

Hi all. What is the consensus on continuing with each 2 week block for an extra day to take advantage of strength gains made during that 2 week period?

For instance, I just finished my 15 RM block, but I know I could add an extra day to the 15's and add 2.5 - 5 lbs on all of my exercises. Do I have to wait 7 weeks before I can add 2.5 lbs to the bar?

On the front page of this website, there's a testimonial where one guy says that his strength increased during every 2 week block. How would he have known this if he didn't add weight to his lifts after completing each block?

One of the negative aspects of HST for me is that you need to wait 2 full months before you discover any strength gains. I would much rather have the ability to test myself during the last workout of each rep-range block.

As far as I know, doing this doesn't violate any of the HST principles. Maybe I'm wrong. Please enlighten me.

Thank you all in advance.

Howdy Rowdy

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As far as I know, doing this doesn't violate any of the HST principles. Maybe I'm wrong. Please enlighten me.</div>

To me patience is the name of the game ,although it does not violate the principles it will get you wasted befor etime, save it for the 5's why would you wanna test your strength during 15's? They are not for hypertrophy anyway!

You canmilkthe 5's for 4 or even 6 weeks...up to you!
wink.gif

I don't think there is any problem with extending your 15's by a day or two and then head on with the 10's.

Personally I don't do the 15's anymore as I found there was no gain for me, at least at the start of the 15's. I head straight into the 10's and then continue adding weight every session for as long as I can, doing max reps up to 10. As the weight begins to get heavier I just stop at that number of reps and then next session continue to add weight. Eventually you get to your 5 RM and then I continue on with the same principle for as long as I can.

For example:

Bench Press.

135 X 10
145 X 10
155 X 10
165 X 10
175 X 10
185 X 9
195 X 8
205 X 7
215 X 6
225 X 5
235 X 4
245 X 3

I don't usually go below 3 reps. I will stay at that weight for a few workouts and then start the entire process over again, only starting with more weight at initial day 1 workout. So in the example above, instead of starting at 135 x 10 I would move up to the next level, 145 x 10 and continue on until the end etc....
I've been doing HST for awhile now so I will tweak numbers here and there but for the most part I stick with it. HST works!!!!

I do two different full body routines which I alternate between. I try to get at least 4 workouts a week done in the summer. In the winter I aim for 6 days a week.

It works for me but everyone is different. The one thing I like about this program is that I don't have to worry about figuring out my rep maxes all the time. They will sort themselves out. The main ingredient in HST is to be continually increasing the load. This program does that in spades.

Like Fausto I think that it's best to wait until the end of the 5s to see how your strength has improved.

Your 15RM is just as likely to be effected by creatine supplementation as it will actual strength increases but once you are at your 5RM creatine has much less of an effect. Any strength increases realised then will usually translate to the other higher rep ranges so you can just add weight to your RMs next cycle and focus on beating your 5RMs each cycle.

The problem with continuing a rep range to find your current RM is that you will be pushing closer to failure for more workouts in a cycle. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you are relatively new to training but, if you are a seasoned lifter, the fatigue you will accumulate doing so might very well impact on your heavier lifting later in the cycle. That's just when you want to be able to push hardest to get a new RM.

I say 'save it for the 5s!'
cool.gif

I hate the 15's, I would never extend them, if anything I'd cut them short or skip them. I have extended the 10's though and I think it's fine as long as you don't go to failure. The 2 week cycles are guidelines, just as the rep schemes are. Keep in mind that progression is what is important, you're lifting heavier over time.

I can honestly say that I've gotten stronger within a 2 week period.

But...I'm in a beginner stage.

So, for me doing something that I haven't done recently (or in the case of deadlifts ever...) naturally leads me to fast strength gains (or at least getting better at the given lift).

I lift hard enough that I'm fatigued at the end of a session. Sometimes I'm having a good day and want to see what I can do. But I've got a plan that involves culminating with some heavy lifts. &lt;heavy being a relative term&gt;

so my vote is to save it for the 5's.

as a side note, I DESPISE 15's but think they're worth it.

If you are really worried about getting noticeable strength gains in two weeks, then maybe HST isn't for you. That isn't at all a flammatory comment mind you, but in all honesty if you look at the vanilla HST it isn't really designed for quick or major gains in strength. In fact, it's designed so that you don't even work out with near maximal loads (1RM) until 6 weeks in. But as others have said, that's where experience and knowing your own body will help you tweak it to your personal desires. I'm towards the end of my first cycle, and I have already learned quite a few things that I want to do differently on the next one. I, too, look to make strength gains.. but you've got to be patient. Saving these heavy lifting days towards the end gives the best of both worlds IMO... HST to start, topped off with SST at the end.

(Hi all. What is the consensus on continuing with each 2 week block for an extra day to take advantage of strength gains made during that 2 week period?

For instance, I just finished my 15 RM block, but I know I could add an extra day to the 15's and add 2.5 - 5 lbs on all of my exercises.)

i cant see a problem with that.if you can add 5lbs then what you wrote down as your max is no longer your max.

what i do if i get to my last session and i know i could lift more then i just lift it,and use that as my new max on the next cycle.

I certainly would wait until I was doing less than 10 reps.
I second that. Testing your 15 RM is, in essence, a strength endurance test not a strength test so if you wish to Max-Out and extend the 10's or 5's that would be worth it, in my opinion. But whatever makes you happy and if testing your 15RM does that, go for it.

I did not see the Thread Display Options at the bottom of the page and I guess the default was to show the oldest first. Being old and grey, I didn't notice the date. :mad: Now I have it set up properly! :eek:

The good news is I see that that old thread drew Dan Moore out of his adobe cave in Texas which is always a good thing. :cool:

Back