Mayer Training Diary

calinmayer

Hello! I´m new in this training method but i´ve read a lot before give it a try. Well, first of all i have to say that i had the "skinny-fat" syndrome (thats how i call it xD). My arms and legs were thin and i had a huge belly fat (25% bodyfat).
Thats why i entered the gym and tried a lot of workouts/routines, diets, tips and everything about training (for about 8 months last year). It worked! My arms and legs got bigger and my bellyfat was reduced a little.
I was comfortable with my arms, legs and bodyfat. But when i was doing the "cutting diet" i returned to my original shape xD. Thats why i decide to try this method and just focus on gaining lean muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. I´m going to post my routines and i would like comments and criticism plz.

1st and 2nd Week (15 reps, 1.5-2min rest)

Routine A

Leg Extension (Quads)
Leg Curl (Harmstrings)
Bench press (Chest)
Frontal rise (Shoulders)
Semi-prono curl (Biceps)
Triceps Pushdowns V-bar (Triceps)
Palms down Barbell wrist curl (Forearms)
Rows (Back)
Seated calves rises (Calves)
Barbell Shrug close grip(Traps)
Decline crunch superseting with hanging leg rise (Abs)

Routine B

Leg extension (Quads)
Leg Curl (Harmstrings)
Incline press (Chest)
Lateral rise (Shoulders)
Bar Curl (Biceps)
Seated Triceps press (Triceps)
Palms down DB wrist curl (Forearms)
Wide grip lat pulldown (Back)
Standup calves rises (Calves)
Barbell shrug wide grip (Traps)

Thanks for your time and then i am going to post my diet and other stuff...

Hello again! Well i am going to post my diet and a few comments. Hope you enjoy and criticize it plz:

Meal 1 (7:30am):
-2 Scramble eggs mix with oats
-Tea
-1 cap Multivitamin
-1 cap Fish oil

Meal 2(10:30am):
-2 bananas with protein powder shake.

Meal 3(1 or 1:30pm)
-Sweet potato (somedays 1 or 1/2)
-fruit salad
-chicken/fish or steak (somedays on grill, others just a little fried)
-green tea
-1 cap vitamin E

Meal 4 (5pm)
-the same as meal 3 but without carbs and putting brocoli.
-1 cap fish oil

Meal 5 (8pm)
-fruit salad
-1 cap glucosamine

Pre-Workout
-1 cap Dymaburn (Dymatize)

POST-Workout
-Meal 2 with an extra cap of multivitamin and creatine.

I´m drinking 3 Lt of water everyday and 1 Lt intra workout. I´m trying to take a nap before lunch (30 min aprox) somedays i can´t. I´m very lazzy doing aerobics or cardio routines the days off but i think that i will give them a try. I think walking to university instead of bus would be great (20 min aprox walking).

Yea! i was working hard as always but i think my genetic is so strong that i preserved a little of muscle on arms and legs but my belly returned to the original shape xD i didn´t know why even doing the cutting diet. When i was building lean muscle my arms and legs got bigger and my bellyfat reduced a little. Cutting i got fat and reduced muscle mass (ironic right?). I think that could have been my diet or stress or my genetic, i dont know really.

What do you think about my actual workout and diet?
Thanks for comment.

I think every routine should include bench press, military press, deadlift, and squat. I've tried so many different things and I always come back to those lifts as my core exercises. I'm no model of consistency, but they do work well. Deadlifts and squats could easily replace leg extensions, leg curls, forearm work, and maybe even shrugs (unless traps are a weak spot like they are for me, so I do shrugs as well). Military press could replace those frontal raises and again possibly shrugs.

Diet looks pretty healthy, although 4 bananas a day seems like a lot...lots of carbs. Especially if you are skinny-fat.

Here's what I would do to cure skinny-fat syndrome:
1) cut carbs to 20-30% of daily intake of calories, protein 40%, fat makes up the rest
2) 3x/week full body routine (including squats,deadlifts,military and bench press)
3) do an A/B split and rotate deadlift/squat
4) start at 75% of your 15 rep max and add weight every workout (or use the HST 15/10/5 progression, pretty much the same thing)
5) on the 3 off days, do 20-25 minutes of interval training on a treadmill (1 minute sprint, 2 minutes walk, 1 minute sprint, 2 minutes walk, etc.) - push yourself, HARD - treat this like HST, you need to improve your time every single time you run

You can lose fat and maintain or even gain a little muscle at the same time, especially if you have extra fat that your body can burn for energy. But it won't burn that fat for energy unless you are eating at maintenance calories or below. I lost a lot of fat doing the above, and I gained strength and some lean mass. 20 pounds lost overall, some muscle gained. But I ate under maintenance for the first few months, about 2000 calories/day which was a 750 calorie deficit. But my body was so shocked and my cardiovascular shape was improving so quickly that I still lost fat when I slowly returned to maintenance calories.

I've not mastered the whole gaining muscle thing, but I know how to fix skinny-fat syndrome, because that's what I was.

Thanks a lot for your comment. Well i missed some things to specify the routine and meal plan. I'm doing a M W F fullbody 75%. About the exercises, i know that must be compound movements like you said but because of my flatfoot i really suffer doing squats and deadlifts ( even leg press :S ) but leg extension and curl REALLY WORK for me. About military press during other routines i tried and has no comparison with the frontal and lateral raises causes on me(my shoulders are my weak points)thats why i prefered to do these exercises. The diet, during training days i eat 4 bananas and days off just 2. I cheat just 1 or 2 meals (not entire days) per week eating a little desert or maybe rice.

Hello! Today i´ve finished my first mini-cycle (2 weeks 15 reps) im feeling great, i improved my records

Quads from 24 to 32
Harmstrings from 24 to 36
Chest from 20 to 36
Shoulders from 8 to 18
Biceps from 12 to 24
Triceps from 12 to 24
Forearms from 4 to 12
Back from 30 to 36
Calves from 20 to 40
Traps from 15 to 30
Abs eh.. grew a little xD
i think that i must refine my diet (this last week i couldnt follow it at all due to work)

Ok time to program my second cycle.. recommendations?

I don't really understand your measurements. You gained 20inches or whatever in 2 weeks? Maybe you are trying to explain it in a different way. The 15s should be preparing you for the heavier weights upcoming but if it put on a decent size for you, good stuff. Just think of your 2nd cycle later as alot of things about making a hst routine will change after you feel the 10s and 5s also.

I don't really understand your measurements. You gained 20inches or whatever in 2 weeks? Maybe you are trying to explain it in a different way. The 15s should be preparing you for the heavier weights upcoming but if it put on a decent size for you, good stuff. Just think of your 2nd cycle later as alot of things about making a hst routine will change after you feel the 10s and 5s also.

I'm pretty sure he's using the metric system

Sorry i missed that. For example when i wanted to say that i passed from 20KG to 40KG lifted weight in kilograms. Well now i'm doing my new 10's routing for 2 weeks with weights and goals.

Sorry for that, but i wanted to say that i improved my record from 24Kg to 32Kg (weight in kilograms).

Well here is my routine for 3rth and 4rth week (10´s) with a little changes. Thanks for the advices.

Routine A

Leg Extension (Quads)
Leg Curl (Harmstrings)
DB Bench press (Chest)
Military press(Shoulders)
Semi-prono curl (Biceps)
French press(Triceps)
Palms down DB wrist curl (Forearms)
Wide grip lat pulldown(Back)
Seated calves rises (Calves)
Barbell Shrug DB(Traps)

Routine B

Leg extension (Quads)
Leg Curl (Harmstrings)
Incline DB flyes (Chest)
Sitted DB press (Shoulders)
Zottman Curl (Biceps)
Seated Triceps press (Triceps)
Palms down BB wrist curl (Forearms)
Seated Cable rows(Back)
Standup calves rises (Calves)
Barbell shrug wide grip (Traps)

Now i´m supose that i´m going to be strict with my diet. Wish me luck! :D

Last edited:
Hello again ! Well i did well last week i wanted to mix a bit the things and i did a super set antagonistic muscles and when i finished every routine i felt my arms bigger with a good congestion. Now im gonna start my 5's week. My routineLeg ext Leg curlBench press DBSeated cable rowsSemiprono curlPushdown cable tricepsMilitary PressShrugsForearms behind backSeated calves

So why do you prefer to do small muscle group before the larger ones? ( biceps before back ) I always read ( and took for granted ) that you need to workout the larger muscles first.

Back