Middle-aged guy trying HST for the first time

pokermik

I will be starting HST tonight for the first time. I am almost 55 years old, 6'0" and 190lbs. After long layoff, I've been working out diligently for over 6 months with good results. Working out heavy each time 3-4 times per weekly has been a little hard on the joints and gains have been slowing down. Here is my HST plan.

Workout days will be F-Su-Tu. Plan on 6 week cycle, but may add 2 more weeks continuing with the 5-rep max.
15 reps - 2 sets/2sets
10 reps - 2/1
5 reps - 2/1 (1/1 on iso bi's and tri's)

Squat - Deadlift - Squat (Repeat)
Leg Curl
Dips - Hammer Incline (Alternate)
Chins - BB Rowing (Alternate)
Shrugs
DB Seated Press
Preacher EZ Curl
JM Press
Standing Calf Raises

Any feedback or comments will be gratefully accepted.

Just finished second day of 15 reps. It was quite brutal finishing 2 sets of 15 reps for each of the exercises. I was completely drained. I don't know if I will be able to continue the full two weeks doing 2 sets of 15.

You can just do 1 set of 15s per exercise if you like. The 15s are mainly to prep your muscles and joints for the upcoming heavier weights. The burn feeling you get is the lactic acid flushing through. What I did was only 2 sets of 15s on the big lifts and just 1 for the rest.

Third day of 2x15 went perfect. Hard, but had sufficient energy throughout. I believe it was the 2nd set of 15 Deadlifts that burned me out the other day. I will limit the DL's to only one set.

Bear in mind that the higher rep work takes a bit of getting used to - for anyone. Give your body a chance to adjust to the HST methodology this cycle - I think you'll be amazed where you'll be strength and endurance-wise when you hit your first SD. Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I never do more than one set of deads or squats in the 15s. F that. If I do two sets on the 15s of either of those, the workout is pretty much over. Drop to one and go from there.

Thanks for the input from you both. I did not realize the leap from 6-10 reps to 15 reps could be so demanding, especially with the relatively light weights. The other exercises were just fine, but the 2nd set of deads just killed me, as I suspect he 2nd set of squats will in the second week of 15's with the increasing weights. I will limit those to one set.

Finished my first week of 10's last night, each one a little harder than the last. I feel sore all over, but the good kind of sore. Going to do only 1 set of 10's for the second week at the heavier weights as suggested by Bryan, but looking forward to the challenge of the 5's.

Started my 2nd week of 5's and have been enjoying HST more and more each workout. Strength is progressing faster than expected. Tired and sore, but nagging shoulder pain is almost gone. Stubborn lats are finally showing some gains with weighted chins and heavier rowing. Two more workouts, SD, then I will begin my second cycle.

5s are great for all the tension-related muscle building goodness, but it's a good idea to add in a high-rep set to finish off for each of your main compounds too because you don't want to miss out on the metabolic/fatigue PS up-regulating effects, especially if you do 5s/3s/negs for an extended period.

Something in the region of a set of 10-15 reps will do the trick. If you don't do this then you may find that your muscles feel a little "flatter" than they did during the 15s and 10s. Tension and strain are still king though so it's not a big deal if you can keep the load on the bar going up over time. :)

(No need to burst eyeballs over the metabolic sets. Save your CNS for the heavy stuff.)

Last edited:
Completed my 7th week of my first cycle. This program seems to be working both in size and strength, keeping in interesting and am able to avoid new or nagging injuries. I have noticed more results in chest and back in the 7 weeks than I did in the previous 7 months of other programs. These two areas have always been lagging, so the improvement is most welcome. One more week of 5-rep maxes, SD, and then will start my second cycle.

Also, have been using HMB for a little over a week. This stuff has been remarkably helpful in recovery. I have had pain in one shoulder which has hindered me for several months. It improved in the first 36 hours of starting HMB and the pain has now almost disappeared. I have never noticed such a rapid and noticeable improvement from a supplement before. I certainly have become a believer in this stuff and would recommend it.

Thanks for the tip about HMB. Naturally at 48 my joints are a bit rusty and I have more concerns about my recovery than when I last trained 25 years ago. On the strength of your recommendation I've purchased a supplement tonight with HMB. Well done completing 7 weeks, I've just finished my first week of 15's.

Last edited:
I just began my second go-round with HST after a 9 day SD. I though it would be somewhat easy working with light weights again, but I was wrong. Doing the 15's again with higher poundages from the first time was very demanding. I felt like I had to pace myself just to finish the workout. Felt a bit tired a sore this morning, but great overall.

It is a combination of amino acids. You can read about it on page 30 of the downloadable FAQ elsewhere in the Forums. I have definitely felt a noticeable difference in recovery and less soreness, especially in my shoulder which has been bothering me for months. It seemed to work within two days of starting taking it. As suggested in the FAQ, I did not take it in the 9-day SD period.

I am about to start the 10's of my second cycle with HST and I have been impressed with my results so far. I am noticing more improvement in the 10 weeks with HST than I did in the last 7 months of standard training heavy 3/4 times weekly. My weakest areas (chest and lats) are noticeably growing, and my arms and delts appear more chiseled. Another great benefit is no injuries and a nagging shoulder pain has virtually disappeared. Workouts are all about 1 hour or slightly less and are actually fun. I look forward to each and every workout. I am a believer.

Back