Minimum effective load? How to tell?

Jens

Hi!

My arms are really bad, I need to them to grow significantly.
JUst because my arms are bad, I believe I can use quite a low starting weight, this means a bigger increase to the max.
(Good for growth).
Also, I have been doing a 6-day split, and my arms has responded better to this more frequent training.
My triceps have gone through a noticable change.

I read up a bit in the FAQ.
There it says the more frequent a muscle is loaded with the same weight, the more it will grow with the same weight.
I think training arms once a week is very insufficient for me.

I just watched Lee Priest "Another Blond Myth" DVD....
dang!!!! THOSE ARMS ARE BIGGER THAN ANYTHING!
I want those arms....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jens @ Feb. 26 2005,8:35)]JUst because my arms are bad, I believe I can use quite a low starting weight, this means a bigger increase to the max.
(Good for growth).

I read up a bit in the FAQ.
There it says the more frequent a muscle is loaded with the same weight, the more it will grow with the same weight.
You don't want to go too low.

Where does it say that in the FAQ?

Hi!

Speaking short term, what your muscles are responding to from workout to workout (~48 hours later) is the "repeated" structural challenge. The frequency that this occurs is also important. This will be true for about 3-4 weeks. The more
frequent the load, and the more sensitive your tissue is to that loading, the longer you can get away with no increase in load. You heard me correctly. Until your tissue has finished building up its resistance to the current level of abuse you're putting it through (Repeated Bout Effect), it will continue to respond (i.e. grow) to the workouts even if the weight has not increased.

FROM THE FAQ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The more frequent the load, and the more sensitive your tissue is to that loading, the longer you can get away with no increase in load. You heard me correctly. Until your tissue has finished building up its resistance to the current level of abuse you're putting it through (Repeated Bout Effect), it will continue to respond (i.e. grow) to the workouts even if the weight has not increased.

I think you might have taken that a little out of context.

Let's examine what Bryan is saying and I think you'll fine it different from what you said.

What Bryan is saying is...

With each successive loading with the same weight your tissue will respond to the point of RBE catching up then the tissue no longer responds. This will be true for about 3-4 weeks as long as frequency is kept reasonable and completely dependant on the individuals conditioning at the time.

This is different from what you said.

What you are saying is as long as you apply the same load frequently enough your tissue will respond with no definition of time or acounting for RBE.

These statements are not the same.

I just wanted to clarify this so there is no confusion.
worship.gif

Hi!

Yes, I understand this.
So...one COULD use the same weights for 3-4 weeks, but the muscles will respond MUCH BETTER to an increase in weight every week.
Right?

But...if one uses the same weight for some weeks one will be able to train longer until reaching the maximum strength limit.
But I guess it doesn´t work that way...
Please explain some more. I can never learn enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jens @ Feb. 28 2005,1:49)]So...one COULD use the same weights for 3-4 weeks, but the muscles will respond MUCH BETTER to an increase in weight every week.
Right?

But...if one uses the same weight for some weeks one will be able to train longer until reaching the maximum strength limit.
But I guess it doesn´t work that way...
Please explain some more. I can never learn enough.
Correct but please let me add something. Depending on the state of the tissue you might only be able to load once or twice with the same load and receive any effect. So it goes back to how conditioned you are to that weight. Follow me?

Correct again, you will be able to extend the total cycle time, but if the weight you are using isn't of benefit (to hypertrophy) then why do it? Unless you are trying to develop your strength.

Hi!

Yes, I understand, it all comes down to a good SD. Right?

Just a question about bodybuilders in general.
I am sure no-one of the top bodybuilders uses a HST routine, still they have grown huge. How the hell can they become so big if they don´t constantly increase the weight like we´re supposed to?
I mean, how did they get past their strength level and continue to add weights?
Is Anabolics the answer?

Back