minimum effective weight

krenshaw

ok i know it is listed somewhere, but using the search page for some reason i can't find what i'm looking for.. i just wanted to know what the minimum effective weight for the first workouts on each level would be.. like if i am doing 45 lbs at my max on the last day, how far can i stretch that for the first day.. would about 50 percent be too low.. so the 6 workouts would look like 25,30,35,35,40,45.. just wondering if there is a general percentage of the RM to stay above for all exercises.. i'm revamping my routine and wanted to fix up a few things.. thanks a lot..

I like to stay at about 60% of my rep max but I will also go down to 50% if I am starting with a light weight where the increments will be somewhat small.

What about an even lower percentage?  I am doing a 6x a week HST routine and my max for leg curls is 75.  Is it alright to start my first day at 25 (33%)?  If not how should I fix it? I wanted to have higher increments so I was going to do something like 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75 (each weight repeated for 2 days).

if you are going that low.. the typical way to fix it would be to repeat weights again, kinda like how you do to avoid zig zag.. typically you probably only want to go in about 5 percent increments too, so i would probably just do 5 lb increments for you like 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75..

Back