Muscle Hypertrophy withinf 4 weeks?

Ive recently searched through many journals regarding at what time musce hypertrophy occurs. What ive found is that it ranges from 4-10 weeks for it to occur. My query is why does hypertrophy not occur within a 4-week time scale? Any ideas would be brilliant!

Where those Journals Strength Journals by chance?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sports_rehabilitator @ Mar. 09 2005,6:53)]yes they were strength journals, so any ideas?
Since they were looking for strength related effects of training the hypertrophic effects they happen to notice were stricltly coincidental. If they were actually looking at hypertrophy only and not strength they probably would have observed something different. Rennie's Review states gains of 20% in 20 Weeks are possible, but he doesn't state at what time the gains begin. Albeit most studies show that neural recruitment efficiences make the most impact to early phases of training I would assume the are some structural changes as well, even in the early stages of training. This would also be dependant upon the training protocol. When I get a chance this evening I'll post the studies that were looking at hypertrophic effects of training and what, if any, time frame they show.
thumbs-up.gif

If someone works out for the first time, couldn't he/she experience hypertrophy within the next 48 hours? (of course it would be minimal, but provided sufficient stimulus and sufficient nutrients, wouldn't the muscles grow SOME?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sports_rehabilitator @ Mar. 11 2005,6:56)]you can experience hypertrophy for upto 24 hours after a training session
If the training stimulus is suffcient and adequate nutritional support is there the hypertrophic effect (protein synthesis) can last a few days, the impact of IGF can last up to almost a week. Not saying you experience any noticable growth from a single training session but the translational and transciptional effects do happen. Interestingly enough though there is one study on satellite cell activity showing that satellite cells do proliferate with one session of training but it generally takes more than one session to begin differentiation. I haven't seen any reviews citing this same thing so maybe there was a flaw in their study design, dunno?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sports_rehabilitator @ Mar. 10 2005,5:53)]yea cheers that would be great help if you could send them!
Sorry about the delay, I will get to posting them this weekend, I just have been busy at work.
thumbs-up.gif

Back