My Proposed 6-Day Routine

BoSox

Well, perhaps inspired by Vicious and OneMoreRep, I've decided to try a 6 day week HST routine, resting on the 7th day (like God.) Basketball season is over now so I'll need something to cut into what will seem like an excess of free time. SD will be about 12-14 days before the start of the cycle.

Here's my plan:

Alternating schedule, because more and more I have found that alternating exercises helps a lot. Example: If I bench on Monday, I might have a subpar benching workout on Wednesday, but, if I do incline instead, I can do it without the loss of strength I'd have in bench. I'm thinking that the CNS fatigue is awfully skill-specific.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Bench BB 2 sets
Military 2 sets
Chins 2 sets
Machine Rows 2 sets
Skulls 1 set
EZ Bar Curls 1 set
Abs/Shrugs 1 set each
SLDL 2 sets

Tuesday Thursday Saturday

Incline DB (then barbell after I hit 75's because my gym sucks and has no heavier dumbells) 2 sets
Dips 2 sets
Lat Pulldowns (wide grip) 2 sets
Cable Rows (narrow grip) 2 sets
Tricep Pressdown 1 set
Incline Hammer DB Curls 1 set
Alternate Squats/Leg Curls and Deads 2 sets

That's 2 sets through 15's and 10's. In fives, I will add 1 set of flys for chest and pullovers for lats. I'll also add in a high rep set for a pulling and a pressing movement for some metabolic stress on all the major muscle groups.

As far as incrementing, I plan to do each workout twice, so I'll end up spending 2 weeks still on each rep phase (15, 10, 5).

This is kinda high volume, around 12 sets 6 times a week but I plan to stay away from failure and to eat a lot. I'm bulking and I feel like with my level of activity, I'll be able to eat a ton without putting on too much fat. I'm about 200 pounds right now, I'm shooting for at least 250g of protein, 80ish grams of fat and plenty of carbs, including a downright unholy carb-up on Sunday.

I think I'm done. Please comment.
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Mar. 08 2005,4:02)]This is kinda high volume, around 12 sets 6 times a week but I plan to stay away from failure and to eat a lot.  
Sounds like a plan, let us know how the volume holds out.

And if there is anything else you need just...... ;)

Bosox, as you kinow, I was following a 5 day, twice per day workout with 7 exercises in the morning and 7 in the afternoon. I found that to be too much. I have now lowered it to 4 exercises in the morning and 4 in the afternoon. It is much better. You may also find that you have a couple too many sets, at least for the 15's. However, being young and strong like bull, you'll probably be OK. :D

I agree with your alternating exercises. In fact, I no longer do a second set of anything; preferring to do a different exercise for the same bodypart instead.

I am anxious to see how you like the increased frequency. I had my best gains so far with 6 workouts per week. I'll see in about a month how 10 workouts per week is.
crazy.gif

yea I would really prefer the twice a day but with school, it's really not an option unless I'd wake up around 4:30 in the morning, in which case I wouldnt know what the hell I was doing in the weightroom anyway.

I'm definately willing to compromise volume if this is wearing me out. I know for 15's that I probably won't bother with 2 sets for everything. I really see no need for two sets of 15 military presses. For the 10's and 5's though, I feel reasonably confident with 2 sets. I will keep everyone posted... although this won't actually begin until the 24th or thereabouts due to a well-timed SD/vacation.

I shouldn't think you'll find the volume to be a problem for CNS or glycogen. I do slightly more volume than that 6x, just about to finish the 10s now and the only time I feel tired/fatigued is if I've left my workout to quite late in the day. Mostly I'm hitting gym mid-morning.

Also, I'd recommend throwing in some forearm work from prob. 10s onwards. I know that sounds pretty specific, but it works.

I'm gonna. I sure need it. It's also pretty minimal as far as cost to benefits, even if it does virtually nothing it won't be wasting too much time or energy. good call.

sorry for hijacking but i got a quick question...
is there any advantage of having two different workouts for a body part and work them on alternate days ? doesn't the second workout destroy/intercepts the progressive load of the first workout because the second workout will feel either lighter or heavier than the first workout? e.g monday - 100lbs BB bench Tuesday - Incline DB 50lbs?
thanks a bunch in advance
worship.gif

Back