My training log

SD 4-15-07 to 4-24-07, will be a 10 day SD

On 4-14-07 I established 1 RM's for the following exercises:
deadlifts- 355# (with a hook grip)
front squats- 215# (down to parallel)
3 chair pushups- 115# (weight on lower back)
full pullups- 80# (pronated grip and weight hanging from waist with plates in front of thighs)

I will do just these four exercises throughout the cycle.

I calculated all of the workout loads based on the 1 RM's because I plan to do 20 reps with an M-time in between all reps of a set as Dan Moore suggests at his website http://hypertrophy-research.com/page8.html

Because I am moving some proportion of my body with each exercise, I estimated my 1RM's based on weight lifted + BW moved. My BW is 220.

So, for deadlifts
355# + 50% of BW = 465 = 355 + 110
for front squats
215 + 75% of BW = 380 = 215 + 165
for 3 chair pushups
115 + 75% of BW = 280 + 115 + 165
and for pullups
80 + 87.5% of BW = 272.5 = 80 + 192.5

The bold numbers are what I calculated my load progressions on for the cycle.

For each exercise I will do one rep, rack it or put it down, rest for the M-time, do another rep, rack, rest, rep, rack, rest, ... until I get to 20 total reps. I have not decided if I will do one exercise at a time or if I will superset
front squats and pullups
then
deadlifts and chair pushups

Supersets would go as follows
1 rep of deads then 1 rep of pushups then 1 rep of deads then ...and so on until 20 rep are completed for both exercises.

Supersetting would give a longer M-time, therefore more recovery time between reps of one exercise, and I could shorten the overall time the workout takes.

I plan to do 3 workouts/week on W-F-Su

I will write again after my first workout on 4-25-07

Cheers

Liege,

I'm going to include the proportion of my bodyweight that I estimate is getting moved for each lift anyway for two reasons.

1) I want the starting percentages to be as close to the same for all of the lifts as possible.

2) the amount of weight added to each workout will be more than if I did not include proportion of BW moved.  

100% will be the same whether I include BW or not.  

Just view my log as yet another experiment with a sample size of one.  There is no need to tell me what to do and please don't feel like I'm trying to tell anybody else what to do.  I'm just putting this out here as one more bit of data in hopes of stumbling onto other good ways of applying HST principles.  

I will post my measurments at the beginning of the cycle and a photo  soon.  

Sincerely,
Paul

<div>
(Paul Brewer-Jensen @ Apr. 23 2007,09:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Liege,
There is no need to tell me what to do and please don't feel like I'm trying to tell anybody else what to do.
Sincerely,
Paul</div>
Paul, I wasn't telling you what to do, just making a suggestion, that's what we typically do here. Most of us believe we can learn from each other and help each other out. I've learned a lot from these guys, we've got a real good group of lifters here, unlike some the other weightlifting forums where there is so much flaming.

Interesting way to calculate, please let us know how it turns out. And I think you'll find we have a pretty serious and mature gathering place here , liege is not the type to rashly whip off a negative or cut and paste reply...he answered exactly as I would have had I seen your post first, and I would not have been telling you what to do at all - just assuming (as anyone would) that perhaps you didnt understand how to find your percentages and trying to lend a hand up so to speak. Good luck and seriously- keep us up to speed with your experience , welcome to the board and I look forward to interacting with you.
smile.gif

The numbers are going to be high since you are adding at least 110 lbs to each lift. However, you are working out using Max-Stim techniques giving you a few seconds break between each rep. I'll keep close tabs on this log to see how you are doing, especially when the weights get high (e.g. past 355 for deadlifts.)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Liege,
There is no need to tell me what to do and please don't feel like I'm trying to tell anybody else what to do.
Sincerely,
Paul</div>

As Leige said, take everyones advice with a grain of salt if you will, but it's advice (not flaming like other bb boards.) This is why we are all here anyways.

Liege, Russ, and Colby,

I'm sorry I got defensive. Thanks for the assurances about the culture of the group.

Down to business.

10 day SD is over.

4-25-07
With 71% of the aforementioned 1RM's
I decided to superset the deadlifts with the chair pushups as follows:
1 dead with 220 # (hook grip)then 1 pushup with 35 # (weight on small of back) on about a 40 second interval. the total time to do 20 supers was 12:22. I did the deads with the balls of my feet on a 2x4 so that I could throw in a heel raise at the end of each deadlift concentric. It was a deadlift rep with a standing heel raise rep stuck in the middle with a pause before the heel raise.

Next I did 1 front squat (clean grip) with a whopping 105 # (heels on a 2x4) supersetted with 1 rep of full pullups with just my bodyweight. Total time to do these 20 supers was 13min

I know I said I was only going to do 4 exercises for the cycle BUT I could not resist throwing in a set of curls (75# for BBcurls) and french presses (60 #). I did those as straight sets With each rep done on a 15 second interval, so 5 minutes for each setof 20 reps.

I got some pump doing these as straight sets so I think I will superset the curls and the presses next time to give myself more M-time between reps. I did not establish 1RM's for these lifts so I will just wing it with regard to load progression, and when I can no longer increase the load I will drop these lifts from the cycle.

I tried to download some photos from my kodak C340 camera but this computer would not recognize the camera. I have the easyshare software on the computer and I tried restarting with the camera connected to the computer but no dice.

I'll just list some measurments and try to figure out the camera thing later.

height - 6'3&quot; (I shrank. I used to say I was 6'4&quot; until my wife measured my height recently. She accused me of lying to her all of these 16 years.)
wink.gif

age - 40 years (41 in June)

BW - 220#

waist - 33&quot; sucked in

chest - 48&quot; flexed and full of air

both thighs - about 25.5&quot;

calves - 17&quot; plus a little

arms - need help getting an accurate measurment. In fact the only measurments I'm 90% confident with are my waist, BW, and height. Does anybody use a myotape? Would that be more accurate than using a regular tape measure for girth measurments?

Again, thanks for your feedback and the welcome.

Sincerely,
Paul

No pictures yet, but I neglected to mention one minor detail...

diet. I have been trying to get 5 to 6 protein feedings a day with one right before and one right after workouts. Trying to go low fat too.

I've been eating a lot of boiled meat washed down with a broth chaser (fat removed), boiled egg whites (I eat one out of four yolks and feed the rest to my chickens), and plain yogurt as protein sources.

Carbs are mostly from veggies and whole grains. My favorite sweetener is honey.

I take vit C supplements liberally (at every meal) and a B-50 am and pm. I've been taking extra magnesium for a while in order to minimize the number of migraines I get. It seems to work.

Pretty simple IMHO.

Paul

One other detail.  

When I determined my 1RM's I did it as follows:

Start timer, do 1 rep, add a little weight, do another rep on minute 1, add more weight, do 1 rep on minute 2, ... until no more reps are possible.

I added 5 -10# per rep depending on the exercise.  

Paul

4-27-07

I switched to overhead squats because the front squats were causing some discomfort in the middle of my spine even with the light weight of the first workout.  I have done overheads more regularly in the past anyway.  I do them with a wideish stance and go down for a stretch in my inner thighs and stick my butt out in the bottom.  I like the fact that the overheads hit my side delts too.  

So, 73% of 1RM

overhead squats supersetted with full pullups
1 repof OHS with 112.5# plus 1 rep of PU with 7.5# on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20 reps of each exercise in a little under 20 minutes

Then

deadlifts supersetted with 3 chair pushups
1 rep of DL with 230# plus 1 rep of CPU with 40# on a 45 second interval for a total of 20 reps for each exercise in 15:17.  I did the DL's with a heel raise at the top of each rep again.  

Then

DB curls
I rep with 38.75# on a 20 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 6:30

Then

alternating 1 arm french presses
1 rep with 31.25# on a 20 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 6 and a half minutes.

Protein ingested before and after

Cheers,
Paul

4-29-07 75% of 1RM

OHS and full PU

1 rep 120# plus 1 rep 12.5# on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20 reps for each exercise in 19:45

DL and 3CPU

1 rep 240# plus 1 rep 45# on a 45 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 14:46

DB curls

1 rep 40# on a 20 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 6:29

alt 1 arm french presses

1 rep 32.5# on a 20second interval for a total of 20 reps in 6:36

I had some soreness in my pecs, bis and tris from the previous workout but that posed no problem for me being able to complete this workout.

Looking forward to tomorrows workout.

Paul

5-2-07

77% of 1RM

1 rep with 127.5# plus 1 rep with 17.5# on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20 reps of each exercise in 19:52

1 rep with 247.5# plus 1 rep with 50# on a 45 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 14:46

DB curls

1 rep with 41.25# on a 20 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 6:30

alternating 1 arm french presses

1 rep with 33.75# on a 20 second interval for a total of 20 reps for both arms in 6:37

Protein intake before and after...

Need more sleep.

Paul

5-5-07 AM

79% of 1RM

DL supersetted with 3 chair pushups

257.5# for 1 rep and 55# for 1 rep on a 45 second interval for a total of 20 reps of each exercise in 14:50

OHS supersetted with full pullups

135# for 1 rep and 22.5# for one rep on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20 reps of each exercise in 19:45

db curls with 42.5# for 1 rep on a 20 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 6:31

alternating 1 arm french presses with 35# for 1 rep (right and left) on a 30 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 9:49

Weather did not cooperate Friday morning so I did this one Saturday morning instead.  I workout outside in my front yard.  

Paul

5-6-07 PM

81% of 1RM

142.5# for 1 rep and 27.5# for 1 reps on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20 supersets in 19:52

267.5# for 1 rep and 62.5# for 1 rep on a 45 second interval for a total of 20 supersets in 14:48

DB curls with 43.75# for one rep on a 20 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 6:30

alternating 1 arm french presses with 36.25# for 1 rep on a 30 second interval for a total of 20 reps in 9:48

Now I am back on track with regard to my frequency schedule.

Paul

5-9-07

83% of 1RM

150# for 1 rep plus 35# for 1 rep on a 1 minute 10 second interval for a total of 20 reps of each exercise in 23:06

275# for 1 rep plus 67.5# for 1 rep on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20reps of each exercise in 19:41

The squats feel solid at the bottom. I am focusing on pausing down low and feeling a stretch in my inner thighs and glutes.

The deadlifts are solid as well. doing the heel raises at the tops of the DL's is hit or miss. Sometimes my balance is right on and sometimes not.

The chair pushups are a great pec stretch at the bottom between the chairs. I love this exercise.

I did not do the curls or french presses this time because of time constraints. I might leave them out from here on out for the rest of the cycle.

Chow (I need to now),
Paul

5-11-07 AM

85% of 1RM

DL's supersetted with 3 chair pushups

285# for 1 rep and 72.5# for 1 rep on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20 supersets in 19:39

then OHS's supersetted with full pullups

157.5# for 1 rep and 40# for 1 rep on a 1 minute and 10 second interval for a total of 20 supersets in 23:03

I lengthend the intervals during the last two workouts from what I had been doing previously.  I think the new intervals will be sustainable for a few more workouts.  I felt good during this workout.  

Looking forward to how far I can take this max stim business.  Increase the load, increas the load, increase the load, .... and keep the TUL constant.  My brain can handle this mantra.  

Paul

5-13-07

87% of 1RM

165# for 1 rep and 45# for 1 rep on a 1 minute and 10 second interval for a total of 20 supersets in 23:06

295# for 1 rep and 77.5# for 1 rep on a 1 minute interval for a total of 20 supersets in 19:42

Happy mother's day!

Paul

Back