new guy.....could use a bit of expert hst advice

bayou bengal

Hey fellas. Im a new guy here at the hst site. I have done my bit of research on hst and have a *fairly* good idea of what its all about.

A little background info about me to help all of you help me. Im a 23 year old guy. I have been training correctly for around three months or so. Over this period of time i have been doing a fully compound based workout, focusing on lower reps, 3x5, 3x6, to help me gain strength. My deads have gone from 115x6 to 297x6, bench from 135-195 etc.

I have always looked at myself as a "hardgainer", but now i see that i have fairly good potential as i respond pretty well to weight training. I currently weigh 164 at a height of 5-10. Im obviously still a small guy, but when i started working out a few months ago i weighed in at 140. Now that my strength is at a not so embarrasing level, i think hst training is in order since i am a bodybuilder not a powerlifter.

I have made up an A-B routine to start with.

A
DB Lunges
Incline BB press
T-bar barbell rows
BB MP
WG pronated Lat Pulldowns
Weighted Hypers
CGBP
BB Curls
Standing CR

B
Deads
Flat BB press
Cable Rows
BB MP
Hammer grip Lat Pulldowns
DB Pullovers
Tri extensions
Hammer Curls
Seated CR

I do have a couple of questions more specific than "critique my routine".

First of all, im not really sure how many sets to use for each exercise. Should i just use one set for each exercise?

Secondly, does splitting the routine like AB work for proper hst weight progression. For example, in the original program, you split the weights up into six workouts per rep scheme per workout. Like if you bench 200 for 10rm, you would do 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200. Does this work if you only do it for 180, 190, 200? Because in an AB workout scheme each lift would only occur three times per two week block....?

And as an aside, the iso work is in there because i respond very well to iso work in my arms and calves. They are placed at the end of the program as to not interfere with the bigger lifts. I also included hypers to get lower back work on all days of the week.

Thanks guys.

"First of all, im not really sure how many sets to use for each exercise. Should i just use one set for each exercise?"

most do 1 set for the 15s, 2 sets for the 10s, and 3 sets for the 5s.

"Secondly, does splitting the routine like AB work for proper hst weight progression. For example, in the original program, you split the weights up into six workouts per rep scheme per workout. Like if you bench 200 for 10rm, you would do 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200. Does this work if you only do it for 180, 190, 200? Because in an AB workout scheme each lift would only occur three times per two week block....?"

i usually do either 3 times a week (using one routine), but 6 times a week if i do a split routine. either way you would be doing each exercise 3x a week

"And as an aside, the iso work is in there because i respond very well to iso work in my arms and calves. They are placed at the end of the program as to not interfere with the bigger lifts. I also included hypers to get lower back work on all days of the week."

in all likelyhood you are a hardgainer due to overtraining or improper diet. cut out the isos if you are cutting. if you are bulking still keep the isos to a minimum, as you dont want to tire yourself out. remember you are going to be doing full body workouts now, which is more taxing on your body. most seem to find compounds work best w/ hst.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have always looked at myself as a &quot;hardgainer&quot;, but now i see that i have fairly good potential as i respond pretty well to weight training</div>

Haha 'hard gainer= person who has never trained smart!

I would include full squats in your routine

What is standing CR?

1I would stick with 1 set for the 15's and 10's and 2 for the 5's

2 Yes you can still progress with A and B routines, the manner of the progression is not important, the progression itself is.

first of all thanks for the replies.

standing cr=standing calf raises

you are right about the not training right part, but for me it was a combo of that and not eating enough. its such a simple formula to eat over maintenance to grow, but so many people ignore that fact.

what i was saying earlier is that i always thought i was a hardgainer, but now i know its not true.

the main reason i split the routine is so i could incorporate deads into the routine. im not sure my body would hold up doing deads three times a week.

i also dont do squats due to an ankle injury and hip injury which makes it hard for me to balance when i am *deep* in the squat. basically im not medically cleared to do them yet.

Back